Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If dwarfs keep canceling construction...  (Read 3229 times)

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If dwarfs keep canceling construction...
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:43:51 pm »

Is there anything you can do to force them to finish it?  Thanks in advance.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: If dwarfs keep canceling construction...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:47:58 pm »

Wekll, there are a few things. Undo it then tell them to build it again. Undesignate nearby constructions.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »

But there is no way to directly set a particular job to a higher priority, is there?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:03 pm »

No.  Also if the cancellations are caused by a hostile, perhapos even a static one then you will struggle to get it built without blocking los to the critter first.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

Dorf should only be canceling construction for the reasons below:

1. Building on top of another Construction.
2. The Tile has an Item that needs to be cleared first, but engaged in a hauling job and can't be moved by the constructing dorf.
3. There a hostile that the dorf can see/is aware of it and is to much of a pansy to build.
4. There to much water in the way.
5. Magma.
6. There a dorf in the way performing a job.

Most of them you'll be running into number 2. But that should be an encompassing list of whats causing the issue.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:02:24 pm »

A problem I've had recently is that a dwarf will cancel a wall or other construction due to a creature being present, and drop the rock he was using to make it in place.  Then when I unsuspend, he goes back, stands in the space, picks up the rock, and cancels because now HE'S standing in the space.  Fixed by removing the construction designation and placing it again. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 04:08:50 pm »

I knew it was that. Dwarfs have been stupid like that lately.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »

No.  Also if the cancellations are caused by a hostile, perhapos even a static one then you will struggle to get it built without blocking los to the critter first.

Urist cancels construct wall, sees giant sponge
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:05:40 pm »

I've had suspended construction jobs caused by the teleporting items bug:
A dwarf is removing a floor and standing in a space next to the material for a construction, on completion of the floor removal, the floor material he was deconstructing and the item he was standing next to, both end up moving to the space he was standing in.  Now the construction material has moved = construction job suspended.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:21:39 pm »

If you have a construction order that you want to have a higher priority, build it last.  This may require undesignating then redesignating the object for construction so its last in the list. All orders are processed in First In Last Out (FILO) order in DF; it truly is a stack of orders and the next one to be completed is the one on the top of the stack.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:11 pm »

if it's because of the teleporting items when de-constructing bug or the dwarf standing on its own way to construct bug, the best that has worked for me was forgetting about 34.11 and play in 34.10, there isn't really anything new in 34.11 that isn't in 34.10 and is worthy of the hassle with those 2 bugs.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:48 pm »

A problem I've had a few times since the hauling update is this one (the item is still accessible):

Sigun Oshoshudib, Miner cancels Construct Building: Job item lost or destroyed.

They'll cancel the job if the item is removed from the workshop somehow or an item is hauled away by another dwarf.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 01:56:56 am »

A problem I've had a few times since the hauling update is this one (the item is still accessible):

Sigun Oshoshudib, Miner cancels Construct Building: Job item lost or destroyed.

They'll cancel the job if the item is removed from the workshop somehow or an item is hauled away by another dwarf.
I guess that has to do with the taking the whole bin to store one single item bug, the new hauling system was supposed to do that for picking up several nearby items, like a bunch of blocks in a workshop or a bunch of seeds on the brewery, a dwarf should grab a container and go and store several items in the container and then haul the container back.

Useful for when you want them to go to a siege battlefield carrying a bin put all the gobblin clothes in the bin and haul the bin back.

Instead they make several trips hauling the whole bin with things in it to grab one single item, put it in the bin and haul the bin back and repeat...

All you can do is set 2 stockpiles, 1 using containers and the other without, the one without should be able to pick the single items from anywhere and the one with containers should only pick from links and take from the no-container stockpile. If the stockpiles are right next to each other it helps reducing the time where the items in the bins being hauled are unavailable thus reducing the job fail chances.