Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some dwarves drink from well, even though there's booze  (Read 2755 times)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some dwarves drink from well, even though there's booze
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »

Like the subject says. This frequently happens. I have my farms (and therefore farmers) and a well on one level, and the booze one down. I can see right now there are dwarves drinking booze, no dwarves are sick, and there's over 100 drinks. Why do they choose water instead of booze? I keep having to refill the well (easy, but a waste of time, I set it up for a hospital).

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some dwarves drink from well, even though there's booze
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:37:38 pm »

Maybe you don't have enough barrels of booze. "Over 100 drinks" can mean 5 barrels, which mean that only 5 dwarves can drink at the same time. Check your booze reserve to see how many barrels are available.
So the solution is : Make more booze (the solution to every DF problem, in fact!)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:55:34 pm »

Ah alright, I was kinda thinking something along those lines. I'll pump out more barrels and rock pots. Thanks.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »

Perhaps you have some elven spies in your fort. Give everybody's beard a little tug to check.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »

In a proper fortress, you should have at least 10 units of drink per dwarf at any given moment, preferably more - for example, if a fortress with a population of 100 goes below 1000 units of alcohol, you should consider that to be an emergency and a signal to immediately start brewing more drinks.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »

Yeah, now I think of it, I really have no idea why I didn't make more barrels and such. My brewers kept canceling because they had no more barrels, and I would wait until it ran down for them to start up again *head shake*

I'll fill the fort with booze :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »

Yeah, now I think of it, I really have no idea why I didn't make more barrels and such. My brewers kept canceling because they had no more barrels, and I would wait until it ran down for them to start up again *head shake*

I'll fill the fort with booze :D

always good
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:31:24 pm »

this starts happening when you start getting bigger plant stack sizes, either because you have a better gatherer or better farmers, the stacks are bigger, they are brewed into bigger stacks of booze that get stored in a single barrel, when a dwarf is thirsty holds the whole barrel, you can actually have plenty of drinks concentrated in a handful of barrels, when all the barrels get tasked, the other dwarves can't find a drink and go to the well.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:47:54 pm »

this starts happening when you start getting bigger plant stack sizes, either because you have a better gatherer or better farmers, the stacks are bigger
It has nothing to do with gatherers and everything to do with the planters.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:52:56 pm »

Hah. Good advice, but I'm lucky if I ever have 10 drinks per dwarf.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:50:00 pm »

watch out for the infernal fishermen migriants they love knicking barrels and filling with fish, locads and loads of fish! What you mean we are out of barrels to brew in again!!
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:06:39 am »

this starts happening when you start getting bigger plant stack sizes, either because you have a better gatherer or better farmers, the stacks are bigger
But Plant gatherers do pick up bigger stacks the better they become, when unskilled they have chances of picking nothing from a shrub and as they skill the stacks get bigger (up to [5] I think), if you brew a "whip vine[5]" instead of a "whip vine" you are getting more booze in the same single barrel.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:35 am »

My hunters refused to go out hunting when the only wildlife were a flock of ravens but immediately started when wild boars arrived so i think that there are some animals that they just refuse to hunt.

EDIT: oops wrong topic ignore this.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:17:45 am by Fortress Calling »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:28 am »

But Plant gatherers do pick up bigger stacks the better they become, when unskilled they have chances of picking nothing from a shrub and as they skill the stacks get bigger (up to [5] I think), if you brew a "whip vine[5]" instead of a "whip vine" you are getting more booze in the same single barrel.
I interpreted the "gatherer" in your original comment as "harvester (from farm plot)" - if you're referring to Herbalists, then you are absolutely correct in that a highly skilled one will consistently gather large stacks of plants.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »

I interpreted the "gatherer" in your original comment as "harvester (from farm plot)" - if you're referring to Herbalists, then you are absolutely correct in that a highly skilled one will consistently gather large stacks of plants.
indeed I meant Herbalist, the guys that gather plants from natural occurring shrubs.