Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Simple non-cavern well safety  (Read 5189 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple non-cavern well safety
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

Combing through the wiki, I didn't see any creatures who dwell on the surface or are brought by siege that were Building Destroyer 2 and also able to swim.  Cave crocs and giant olms can swim, but they can only bust down wood.  Trolls and dragons can break through stone, but they can't swim. If I have a well connected via tunnel to a river, is an underwater wall grate of stone sufficient for all surface threats? 

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Simple non-cavern well safety
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »

Possibly. But why not just use a fortification instead to be sure?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:21:06 pm »

Quote from: DF Wiki
Beware that fully submerged (i.e. 7/7 depth) fortifications will not block the passage of creatures that swim in water (or magma) - wall grates and vertical bars work, but they are vulnerable to building destroyers.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:12:34 pm »

Isn't it true that building destroyers can only destroy buildings orthogonally and not diagonally?  If so you could build the path feeding the well to have a diagonal in it and then build a grate there.  You could also u-bend it and put a floor grate on the top of the outlet of the u-bend since they can't destroy stuff above them. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »

Pump water into the well cistern through a floor grate. Floor grates cannot be destroyed from below.

If you properly line the cistern with constructed walls and floors you will also get perfectly clean and pure water to drink from in addition to the water source always being perfectly safe, no matter how many zombie FB's are spewing facemelting dust into whatever river or lake you are pulling the water from.

chronicpayne

• Bay Watcher
  • The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:24:10 pm »

Trolls and dragons can break through stone, but they can't swim.

Unless this was changed in a very recent version, trolls definately CAN swim or ford 7/7 water.

I can confirm.

Best way is to use overpressure and a U bend coupled with a floor hatch or grate, as the poster above mentioned.
Its rock solid.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:22 pm »

Dragons can fly and Bronze Collossus dont breathe, just like undead. If a necro or evil biome resurrects a building destroyer 2, they can get in swimming.

Titans can all swim and will down a gate just as easily. They also can carry the nasty effect of secreting deadly toxins, poisoning your water supply.

The safest way is to have a stone bridge you can lower or raise controlling the water input. If danger looms, raise it or only open it when you need the bottom of your well replenished with water. The same is useful for defense against magma creatures.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »

I've also had a minotaur get into my well before I started taking precautions.  He couldn't get out of the cistern, but he never drowned.  Just chilled in there scaring all my dwarves away when they went to get water for my wounded. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »

Wait, what's wrong with just having a very long drop from the well to the underground lake, with a grate on top and on the cavern roof? Is it so flier building-destroyers can't somehow get in from the caverns?
My wooden badge was delicious.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:09 am »

I used to use 3 fortifications and a grate to keep things out of the well, now I don't allow direct access from the supply. I use a pump to move the water up and over into my cistern, then simply construct a floor over the intake hole. If I need a refill, it only take a couple seconds to remove the floor and pump away. This prevent anything flying building destroyer or otherwise from sneaking in.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 11:31:11 am »

Pump water into the well cistern through a floor grate. Floor grates cannot be destroyed from below.

If you properly line the cistern with constructed walls and floors you will also get perfectly clean and pure water to drink from in addition to the water source always being perfectly safe, no matter how many zombie FB's are spewing facemelting dust into whatever river or lake you are pulling the water from.

Niiiiiiiice.  Thanks!

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:37:00 am »

If your cistern is 2 levels deep you don't have to pave it/ construct it to avoid mud in your water.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:02 pm »

If your cistern is 2 levels deep you don't have to pave it/ construct it to avoid mud in your water.

Don't you still have to pave/construct to keep it fresh, rather than salty or stagnant?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:24 pm »

No, it would only be stagnant if you got it from a murky pool.  And you didn't pump it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:12:49 pm »

Pumping water into a completely lined cistern is the best way to go. You get clean, pure, and fresh drinking water without any FB threats.

Just be sure you completely line the cistern with constructed walls and floors first. Every tile the water can potentially touch must be a constructed surface.

If you can get a power source to the pump then its entirely automatic, and it doesn't matter how many FB's are visible through the grate. They're harmless with the exception of being able to frighten your pump operator.
Pages: [1] 2