Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 39995 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #345 on: December 27, 2012, 06:32:52 pm »

The problem with DayZ, and this arguement in general, is that DayZ doesn't encourage behaviour beyond "murder everyone who isn't a close personal friend" at all. Unless they've changed it drastically since I last played there's no disincentive to murder people and take whatever they have, and no incentive to team up and be friends, or trade.

The only arguable reason not to instantly murder someone the moment you see them, aside from if they are better armed than you, or they have friends, is if you need a blood transfusion. But then again, they have no reason not to just murder you and take your bloodbag. Or your beans. Or just incase you might murder them afterwards. And if you play with a friend, or a group of friends, then again you're back to literally no reason not to murder everyone.

All those Newbs and FPSers (you know ARMA is a FPS/TPS right? if you play ARMA 2 and have you view mode to first person, congratulations you're a FPSer) are simply playing the game according to the rules, constraints and rewards provided to them. People sure want DayZ to be about teaming up and working together (Rocket says he does) but it's just not there in the game. Or wasn't for months and months and months after release.

Most of this is owing to the fact that in a world with finite resources where you play a character who has to drink 12 gallons of water an hour and eat a ton of beans a day, people will fight over resources. Once people start being well armed then people will fight over weapons to defend themselves so they can get more resources. That's basically the progresson of DayZ food/water -> weapons -> vehicles. Though vehicles were (are?) way more down to luck than anything else. After that there's not much else to do, so most people just start killing indescriminantly. Mostly because theres no real other option. You can't build bases, you can't clear out a town of zombies, you can't really accomplish anything else other than finding more food guns or supplies. Except now you don't have to walk for 40 minutes to get to the next town only to find nothing but tin cans, you can just shoot someone and take their stuff. One of the most telling pieces of DayZ development history is when Rocket decided he didn't like players making tentfarms and all congregating together to horde loot. So he introduced some sort of infection mechanic that would cause people to have a chance of getting sick if they spent time together. Or the time he just flat out wiped all the contents of tents on the hive. You aren't meant to work together in this game, that was his message there. (I know he often says in interviews he thinks the game should be about working together. He does that often: says one thing and then says the opposite about his own game. Go figure)

Believe it or not, it was once worth trying to tell if someone wanted to kill you or not!

Why? Aside from the obvious fact that if they wanted to kill you and you didn't know about it they could do it easily, which still means it's worth trying to find that out in DayZ today.

And to me, emergent gameplay > all other forms. Also, if emergent gameplay is intended in the game's design, like it is in EVE and DayZ, then I think it counts as player-created content. You took the argument to it's logical extreme, but what I meant was that aside from DayZ, I know of no other zombie game that relys upon the players themselves to create their own gameplay, goals, and social constructs. All of which are definitely content.

See above for why players don't create their own goals or gameplay in DayZ. the goals are allready layed out for you. It's implicit in the game design and mechanics (or lack thereof).

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 27, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »

I think these games would benefit from much more invested character development. you may lose him in the end but I mean if you are a skilled medic then people would be less likely to kill you due to the fact you could fix them up if they are wounded, or a car mechanic or a military armour or something you need to give players reasons to work togeather. make them think hmm I'm a skilled armour and can fix a broken weapon but if I get a GSW and the bullet is still knocking around in the wound then I'm a bit fucked so should try and find a group with a skilled medic.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:52:49 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:22 am »

And hilarity ensues:

'War Z' Game Producer Lists Non-Existent Features, Blames Customers' Eyesight And Overactive Imagination

(then dares them to get a refund if they don't like it, only to say "no refunds!")

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 28, 2012, 12:18:49 am »

Games like Skyrim and Spore feature player created content. Players actively make new content, be it new objects, new characters, new missions, new abilities, etc. Games like Day Z feature a focus on player interaction. But the players themselves aren't creating content except in a sense that is so broad and vague that it applies to every game where mutliple players can interact, and even some singleplayer games too.
I'd argue this isn't exactly true. It's community component is weak, but community and social content is still definitely content. MMOs tend to excel at this sort of thing, and (I suspect) it's one the many things people wanted to see as a possibility from this game when it was announced.
In most competitive FPSes, this is mostly represented by things like ladders and clans, and it's mostly meta-game stuff. Setting up a bowling league is most definitely adding content to bowling. A succession fortress in Dwarf Fortress most definitely adds content.

But you are correct in that DayZ doesn't really provide much, if any, sort of support for the creation of social mechanics and organization content. There's just not really much of a point. It's definitely easier and more impressive in games that explicitly support it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 28, 2012, 12:19:33 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 28, 2012, 12:21:03 am »

Pros: Atmospheric; long view distance; full refunds available.

It was Steam offering the refunds and pulling the product after the producer pointed to their TOS saying "no refunds!"

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35:36 am »

It was Steam offering the refunds and pulling the product after the producer pointed to their TOS saying "no refunds!"
Is that even legal to do?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 28, 2012, 12:38:51 am »

Probably not, but unless class-actioned, which takes years, it doesn't matter.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 28, 2012, 02:33:47 am »

Depends on where you live - different states/countries have different consumer protection laws.

That said, if you walked up to a lawyer and demanded to sue, the first phrases out of their mouth would be "digital versus physical ownership", "implicit consent to EULA", and "you're suing over a $15 game?!" Which is pretty much what Sergey is counting on, unfortunately.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 28, 2012, 04:31:09 am »

Depends on where you live - different states/countries have different consumer protection laws.

That said, if you walked up to a lawyer and demanded to sue, the first phrases out of their mouth would be "digital versus physical ownership", "implicit consent to EULA", and "you're suing over a $15 game?!" Which is pretty much what Sergey is counting on, unfortunately.

The thing is, that is the entire point of a class action lawsuit. The idea being said suit winds up "representing" so to speak, the entire consumer base of a particular product (In this hypothetical at least. Naturally it could also be for instance, a group of people affected by pollution runoff, Or people who feel their civil rights are being violated, etc.) . One $15 purchase isn't going to get a lawyer to so much as look up from his morning coffee. 100,000 $15 purchases is however something that could entice a lawyer.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 28, 2012, 05:36:55 am »

It reminds me of when Day Z banned loads of people for spurious reasons, and of course being banned from DayZ meant your ARMA 2 CD key was invalidated because Rocket works for BI.

When people asked why they had been banned, or if they could appeal or for a refund, they were told that the banning process was infalible and no reasons could be given and no refunds would be offered.

I'd argue this isn't exactly true. It's community component is weak, but community and social content is still definitely content. MMOs tend to excel at this sort of thing, and (I suspect) it's one the many things people wanted to see as a possibility from this game when it was announced.
In most competitive FPSes, this is mostly represented by things like ladders and clans, and it's mostly meta-game stuff. Setting up a bowling league is most definitely adding content to bowling. A succession fortress in Dwarf Fortress most definitely adds content.

But you are correct in that DayZ doesn't really provide much, if any, sort of support for the creation of social mechanics and organization content. There's just not really much of a point. It's definitely easier and more impressive in games that explicitly support it.

As I have said, this definition is so broad that it renders the term meaningless. By this defeinition every human activity  features player created content. Every time you play a game of any kind you are creating content.

Being able to form a party, or talk to friends while you play, or simply have the presence of another human being felt, is not "player created content" in the same way that letting people chose the colour of their characters hat isn't player created content.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 28, 2012, 05:45:46 am »

Can we move away from the semantics of "Player created content"? Let's just call it depth of player interaction, and then we can prolly discuss it better that way, debating on whether that adds something of value to the game, rather than whether the phrase "Player Created Content" fits, and assuming it is good by default, which won't lead us anywhere.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 28, 2012, 07:54:14 am »

Can we move away from the semantics of "Player created content"? Let's just call it depth of player interaction, and then we can prolly discuss it better that way, debating on whether that adds something of value to the game, rather than whether the phrase "Player Created Content" fits, and assuming it is good by default, which won't lead us anywhere.

Go on then.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 28, 2012, 09:19:19 am »

I do think we're neglecting the value in the depth of player interaction in games like DayZ and Eve. In multiplayer games with no win conditions, it's the players that bring the game to life, through exchanges, whether that is communication or barter. That is enough for factions to form, and can potentially replace what would be NPCs in any other game with people, who have goals and motivations, and could be bargained with. Hell, the core of the zombie genre outside of video games has overwhelmingly been about people. Though ultimately, from the sounds of things, DayZ isn't doing so well in that department, where it seems the dominant strategy according to what gives most benefit is shooting first. But still, I think it could be done, and it could drive a game if things are balanced right.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:20 am »

A friend told me that Hammerpoint came out and gave a public apology, saying "The first-wave sales and the numbers from surveys went to our head.  Sorry.  We'll get serious now."  It's too early in the morning for me to confirm her claim of apology.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27