Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 40025 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #330 on: December 25, 2012, 05:05:23 am »

If your not very vain you can do some tricky stuff to get ArmA engine derived games to run better?

But thats off-topics. I'm hoping the DayZ standalone is as good as people expect it to be. With this fiasco I cant see many people taking the "gigantic creative leap"/uncertain investment into another zombie MMO.

I wouldn't hold my breath on DayZ standalone. :P

And plenty of people will still make other Zombie MMOs. AFAIK there are still another 2 or 3 in development at the moment, one of them has been going since before DayZ made it such an obvious move in terms of profitibility.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 25, 2012, 12:02:21 pm »

AFAIK there are still another 2 or 3 in development at the moment, one of them has been going since before DayZ made it such an obvious move in terms of profitibility.

Oh really? Which games would these be?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 25, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »

State of Decay is the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 25, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »

State of Decay is a third-person 'action game' for the XBox 360 that relies on developer-created content that is supposedly dynamically generated. It's also, as far as I can tell, wholly and totally a single-player experience, which means it doesn't really count as an MMO.

The only game I know of that tried to do what DayZ does - multiplayer survival sim/first-person shooter that relies on the player to create their own content - is The War Z. Yes, there are other zombie games out there like Project Zomboid, State of Decay, Dead State, and so on, but these games are all very different from DayZ in that they are primarily single-player and rely mostly on developer-created content despite being sandboxes.

I do not know of a single game - aside from The War Z - that has attempted to do or does what DayZ does. And since The War Z is a woefully inferior clone created solely for the purpose of making money off of the people too impatient to wait for the DayZ standalone, I do not, personally, count it as a Zombie MMO.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 25, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »

Well shit if you don't know of any games, then they must not exist.

Also State of Decay is PC/Xbox Live, and it's going to be followed up by a multiplayer version if all goes well. Also I like how you put "action game" in quotations.

DayZ doesn't rely on the player to create any content. You have a great deal of freedom over your experience compared to say a normal shooter, but you don't create any content at all. Unless you create content when you play chess?

And while we're at it, DayZ isn't a MMO. One of the Ms is missing. Not every game that you play online is an MMO. COD isn't an MMO, Battlefield isn't an MMO, etc.

For what it's worth I don't know of a single game released that does what DayZ tries to do successfully. Including DayZ.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 25, 2012, 01:04:07 pm »

I quite enjoyed the Twinoid Die2Nite - still probably my favorite multiplayer zombie game. Not a shooter in the slightest - it's a game about dealing with social dynamics, maintaining your defenses, allotting limited resources, organizing, and scavenging. Those who haven't given it a try should at least consider it.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 25, 2012, 08:13:07 pm »

DayZ doesn't rely on the player to create any content. You have a great deal of freedom over your experience compared to say a normal shooter, but you don't create any content at all. Unless you create content when you play chess?

I mean creating content in the same way that you create content in EVE Online - the developers provide the basic world but the largest part of the gameplay is the interaction between players, rather than interaction between the players and the game world.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 26, 2012, 05:07:05 am »

Yeah, that's still not "creating content" though.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 27, 2012, 02:05:13 am »

If your not very vain you can do some tricky stuff to get ArmA engine derived games to run better?

But thats off-topics. I'm hoping the DayZ standalone is as good as people expect it to be. With this fiasco I cant see many people taking the "gigantic creative leap"/uncertain investment into another zombie MMO.

I wouldn't hold my breath on DayZ standalone. :P

And plenty of people will still make other Zombie MMOs. AFAIK there are still another 2 or 3 in development at the moment, one of them has been going since before DayZ made it such an obvious move in terms of profitibility.

You have your thoughts and opinions and I have mine. I respect what your saying, but I still disagree with it  :)
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 27, 2012, 02:26:52 am »

But it is, the community is given the task of making the game interesting for themselves. Stories will be created by the players from in-game experiences they had, different communities will rise and develop relations with other communities, players can create reputations for themselves, etc.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 27, 2012, 04:45:27 am »

But it is, the community is given the task of making the game interesting for themselves. Stories will be created by the players from in-game experiences they had, different communities will rise and develop relations with other communities, players can create reputations for themselves, etc.

"Player created content" is a term that means something specific. It's not just playing the game. If it means what you're suggesting  then every game in the history of video games features player created content because you can make up a little backstory for your guy and play the game slightly differently. What you're talking about could arguably be emergent gameplay, though if it's specifically intented in the game design I'm not sure if it counts.

See you're using content in the absolute broadest definition possible. If I play chess with a friend and I name all my pieces, does that mean I've created new content for chess? If I play poker and talk in an accent does that also count? In every other usage of this term since it became popularized: no, it doesn't. Every game allows you to make stories from your experiences playing, that's an inherant aspect of the interactiveness of games, especially multiplayer ones. Every online game allows you to make a reputation for yourself, and allows communities to develop and have realtionships with other communities. This even happens with singleplayer games such as Fallout with NMA. It's not any more implicitly encouraged in DayZ than it is in Battlefield or Counter-Strike (allthough last I remember you didn't have nameplates in DayZ, which actually makes it harder for these things to occur).

Games like Skyrim and Spore feature player created content. Players actively make new content, be it new objects, new characters, new missions, new abilities, etc. Games like Day Z feature a focus on player interaction. But the players themselves aren't creating content except in a sense that is so broad and vague that it applies to every game where mutliple players can interact, and even some singleplayer games too.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 27, 2012, 06:52:29 am »

Reading over your post above, what I meant was emergent gameplay.

And to me, emergent gameplay > all other forms. Also, if emergent gameplay is intended in the game's design, like it is in EVE and DayZ, then I think it counts as player-created content. You took the argument to it's logical extreme, but what I meant was that aside from DayZ, I know of no other zombie game that relys upon the players themselves to create their own gameplay, goals, and social constructs. All of which are definitely content.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:56:25 am by dragonshardz »

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 27, 2012, 07:23:55 am »

I don't think dayz/warz offers much of a social construct at all though.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 27, 2012, 11:52:29 am »

I don't think dayz/warz offers much of a social construct at all though.
You took the argument to it's logical extreme,
You see, what I think dragonshardz is trying to say, is that it's not a very notable aspect, it's certainly present.
I mean, before DayZ became popular on YouTube, there certainly was a nuance to meeting strangers. Sort of like two birds doing a courting dance, you had to cautiously check if they were going to try and kill you, without actually getting brutally murdered. Believe it or not, it was once worth trying to tell if someone wanted to kill you or not!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 27, 2012, 12:09:07 pm »

Now its overflowing with newbs and FPSers that just want to kill everything -.-
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27