Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 40038 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2012, 10:18:46 pm »

No one has brought this up yet, but I found out thanks to chaoticag that according to a certain Tumblr  The trademark for the name "The War Z" was suspended on the 15th of November but they released it with the expired name anyway. Of course Titov has already commented on it showing a severe lack of understanding once again.

I'm not sure exactly what this is gonna do to the game or anything. If anything at all. But it's interesting.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2012, 10:57:38 pm »

No one has brought this up yet, but I found out thanks to chaoticag that according to a certain Tumblr  The trademark for the name "The War Z" was suspended on the 15th of November but they released it with the expired name anyway.

"Expired name"? All the document says is that they might not be able to register the trademark.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2012, 11:07:25 pm »

I meant suspended. Whoops. As in their trademark request was apparently suspended.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2012, 12:49:55 am »

More illegality!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2012, 04:49:10 am »

But he also wasn't in charge of Big Rigs (nor even worked on it) and apparently he gets hugely credited for that?

Edit: FWIW He was technical director on LOL, which sounds to me like he was in charge of something, and definatly credited?
I think our point is that he isn't a good person to make major design decisions. But before we continue this, we'll first have to find out exactly what is a technical director and what a technical director does.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2012, 05:02:09 am »

But he also wasn't in charge of Big Rigs (nor even worked on it) and apparently he gets hugely credited for that?

Edit: FWIW He was technical director on LOL, which sounds to me like he was in charge of something, and definatly credited?
I think our point is that he isn't a good person to make major design decisions. But before we continue this, we'll first have to find out exactly what is a technical director and what a technical director does.
Guess he is the leader of the guys making the engine and that kind of stuff?
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2012, 12:17:38 pm »

Y'know, I'm still holding out faith, despite everything.  A part of me wants to believe "this will all blow over later, when the game gets closer to release, and we'll all be enjoying the fine Zombie MMO everyone's dreamed of, and this will all just be a laugh at the past."

Really, is a zombie MMO too much to ask?

For that matter, is it so much to ask for something that's seriously zombies?  Or pirates?  I'm tired of Plants vs Zombies and Puzzle Pirates.  When the only applicable games are Resident Evil and Pirates of the Caribbean, I think we've done something wrong with two themes so potentially amazing...

Still think DF provides the best zombie situation I've seen yet.  A few dirty neckbeards huddling underground, avoiding the wandering plague clouds and the ever-increasing hordes of undead corpses and animate body parts.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:27 pm »

If you're looking for THAT, wait for the DayZ standalone instead of playing the low-quality cash-in attempt built atop a terrible F2P shooter.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2012, 02:26:59 pm »

From these people, yes it is too much to ask. Nothing about this game is Massively Multiplayer - I've played bigger maps with more people in ARMA and Battlefield games and they don't claim to be MMOs.

And no, despite Sergei's repeated claims that he didn't make Big Rigs, he was the lead programmer, producer, and owned the company that made it. I'm not sure how he believes claiming otherwise makes any sense, since his logo is the only one on the box. His handling of WarZ just gives further credence to his incompetence. Keep in mind that he's also a scam artist as the Steam listings and other lies have shown, so he's likely to lie about this sort of thing as well.

Technical Director is not actually much of a game design position usually, focusing on all the things AROUND game design - staffing, software setup, etcetera. As for his Gears credits, I can't actually find any info on his involvement there. None, not even a position listed.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:37:18 pm by Tilla »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 24, 2012, 03:32:48 pm »

If you're looking for THAT, wait for the DayZ standalone instead of playing the low-quality cash-in attempt built atop a terrible F2P shooter.
Depends if the stand-alone is such a resource hog as ARMA is.  I get about .5 FPS...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 24, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »

There are loads of zombie games though.  Many of them actually rather good.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 24, 2012, 07:28:46 pm »

Depends if the stand-alone is such a resource hog as ARMA is.  I get about .5 FPS...
The ArmA engine is very cpu intensive, so if you don't have a good one you're naturally going to get low fps.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:49 pm »

The ArmA engine is very cpu intensive, so if you don't have a good one you're naturally going to get low fps.

I'll also note that setting certain parts of ArmA2 to the lowest possible setting actually switches more load to the CPU instead of the GPU. It takes a fair bit of tweaking to get it to run decently - I've got an old Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 paired with 2x nVidia GTS 250s, and ArmA2 runs fine on medium-high settings but bogs down like mad on all lows.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 25, 2012, 04:05:45 am »

If your not very vain you can do some tricky stuff to get ArmA engine derived games to run better?

But thats off-topics. I'm hoping the DayZ standalone is as good as people expect it to be. With this fiasco I cant see many people taking the "gigantic creative leap"/uncertain investment into another zombie MMO.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 25, 2012, 04:35:57 am »

As it will be more server sided, that may be less intensive than it is currently. But wait and see.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27