Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 40041 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #300 on: December 20, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »

Well I just watched 40 some odd minutes of TotalBiscuit playing it and I don't think the game is misunderstood or under appreciated. I mean, Arma always looked barren to me. Day Z looks barren to me. And the War Z also looks barren to me. I get that's the vibe the games have always given off, that's the style and the realism. Which is ok.

But the first time I looked at Day Z, it looked feature rich to me. The War Z seems feature poor and has alpha placeholders everywhere. The fact you can't even swim through water speaks to really poor use of their technology and exacerbates the tedious....walking....around...slowly by making you take detours.

And despite seeming realistic, it lacks the basic necessities of a good survival game: hunger, thirst, exposure. Then other times it goes way too far in the other direction. TB was getting shit loads of health taken off for sliding down very, very minor declines (and fell greater distances straight down taking no damage). I mean, it just doesn't seem very good even stacked up next to Day Z. Yeah, it's all gritty and you can't sprint for squat because it's trying to be realistic, and there's lots of tedious moving around. But even setting those things aside, it seems like there's not a lot of meaningful content in it. While I don't hold it against Valve that they let a pretty rough and bland game get sold through Steam....that they didn't even check it enough to indemnify themselves against being party to a claim of false advertising does make me kind of annoyed. They have the money, they should at least vet some part of every game. TB had a very good point in that Apple, whatever else you say about them, vet the products they sell through their store. Perhaps too aggressively, but that's better than nothing.

About the only thing I thought looked pretty good were the environments and back drops.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:09:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 20, 2012, 09:01:28 pm »

Why are people taking bad game development personally?

Because they were being targeted. It isn't hard to see why.

Once again Terraria, my go to example that has cooled enough I feel confident to reference it without flamewars, was a game that sold itself not on the game it was now but the game it would be in the future. It never fulfilled that promise and stopped.

Now with Terraria it ended as a somewhat playable game with enough features to carry the game for a five dollar price point. (My personal strife with Terraria being its focus on grinding and slow monotonous "exploration" when it needed stronger gameplay elements and a more worthwhile exploration system)

War Z however is currently so underdeveloped that it is unplayable in some sections. With a few point where if you fall into it your character needs to be restarted since there is a possibility, I hear, that your ticket won't be validated.

It is kind of why I am never mad at people who complain about the slow development of games like War Z or lets say Minecraft. They intentionally sold their games like that and the natural concequence of not fulfilling the players development needs should be expected and considered a fault of the game itself and not that of its community.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:24:52 pm by Neonivek »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #302 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:30 pm »

Since I'm never averse to shamelessly stealing from Reddit, here's a timeline summary of why The War Z has attracted such vitriolic attacks. It's more than a bit of false advertising, it's a perfect storm of terrible PR, blatant lying, and poor game quality.

But I think this furthers my point. This was terrible from the beginning (according to the reddit list), so it seems people should have moved from disgust to apathy quite quickly. My confusion is why people seem to be taking poor game development so personally, like its actually insulting to the individual.

Because zombies.

I don't know why, but this has always been the attitude of zombie apocalypse fan communities. They take things very personally and have a unique level of investment in their entertainment sources.

I've come to avoid anything zombie related due to the community's said eccentricity.

Just wait until you encounter the My Little Zombie Pony fan world.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 20, 2012, 09:28:42 pm »

Anyhow I don't really think Big Rigs has ANY indication on a person or companies programming ability.

It DOES however have a larger implication on someone's willingness to put out products they shouldn't.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 20, 2012, 11:57:11 pm »

Well I just watched 40 some odd minutes of TotalBiscuit playing it and I don't think the game is misunderstood or under appreciated. I mean, Arma always looked barren to me. Day Z looks barren to me. And the War Z also looks barren to me. I get that's the vibe the games have always given off, that's the style and the realism. Which is ok.

But the first time I looked at Day Z, it looked feature rich to me. The War Z seems feature poor and has alpha placeholders everywhere. The fact you can't even swim through water speaks to really poor use of their technology and exacerbates the tedious....walking....around...slowly by making you take detours.

And despite seeming realistic, it lacks the basic necessities of a good survival game: hunger, thirst, exposure. Then other times it goes way too far in the other direction. TB was getting shit loads of health taken off for sliding down very, very minor declines (and fell greater distances straight down taking no damage). I mean, it just doesn't seem very good even stacked up next to Day Z. Yeah, it's all gritty and you can't sprint for squat because it's trying to be realistic, and there's lots of tedious moving around. But even setting those things aside, it seems like there's not a lot of meaningful content in it. While I don't hold it against Valve that they let a pretty rough and bland game get sold through Steam....that they didn't even check it enough to indemnify themselves against being party to a claim of false advertising does make me kind of annoyed. They have the money, they should at least vet some part of every game. TB had a very good point in that Apple, whatever else you say about them, vet the products they sell through their store. Perhaps too aggressively, but that's better than nothing.

About the only thing I thought looked pretty good were the environments and back drops.

But it has hunger and thirst? And DayZ has exposure nowm because it didn't for months and months after it came out?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 21, 2012, 12:14:01 am »

Since Titov himself claims he traded the Big Rigs engine to its developers in exchange for a share in their company, it looks like you're right, Fenrif. Titov has never made the choice to work on good games!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 21, 2012, 05:06:43 am »

Since Titov himself claims he traded the Big Rigs engine to its developers in exchange for a share in their company, it looks like you're right, Fenrif. Titov has never made the choice to work on good games!

I don't get what you point here is, that he made a buisness decision (I don't know if it's good or bad) and...?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #307 on: December 21, 2012, 11:28:21 am »

Big Rig Over the Road Zombies.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:54 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2012, 01:21:28 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2012, 09:48:11 am »

I don't get what you point here is, that he made a buisness decision (I don't know if it's good or bad) and...?

When operating in a decision-level position, Titov has never made strong choices. Hence, his being on the payroll for GoW and LoL is not indicative of any strengths.

Since Big Rigs and the company which developed it bombed, and since WarZ was actually pulled down by Valve, there's no mistaking the quality of his business decisions. I don't consider you to be the deluded type, Fenrif, so I get the feeling that you're just being funny.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »

When operating in a decision-level position, Titov has never made strong choices. Hence, his being on the payroll for GoW and LoL is not indicative of any strengths.

Since Big Rigs and the company which developed it bombed, and since WarZ was actually pulled down by Valve, there's no mistaking the quality of his business decisions. I don't consider you to be the deluded type, Fenrif, so I get the feeling that you're just being funny.

So because he worked on two extremely popular and successfull games, but also worked on one bad game and developed an engine which another company used to make a bad game, then he's never made the choice to work on good games? Or he's never made good games? Or he cannot make good choices?

Like him being associated in any way at all with Big Rigs is extremely indicitive of lots of negative things, but him actively working on a ridiculously successfull triple-A franchise title and a hugely popular game that kind of popularized F2P amongst hardcore gamers... That's not indicitive of anything.

Please don't construe this as me defending the guy or anything. As I've said before, I don't particularily care for the dude. I just find your logic here hard to follow.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2012, 02:56:19 pm »

The thing is he was never in charge or given credit for those projects that are known for success.  Just because I went to the same school as a Nobel prize winner doesn't mean I earned any credit for it.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 23, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »

But he also wasn't in charge of Big Rigs (nor even worked on it) and apparently he gets hugely credited for that?

Edit: FWIW He was technical director on LOL, which sounds to me like he was in charge of something, and definatly credited?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:04:41 pm by fenrif »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 23, 2012, 03:09:20 pm »

But he also wasn't in charge of Big Rigs (nor even worked on it) and apparently he gets hugely credited for that?

Edit: FWIW He was technical director on LOL, which sounds to me like he was in charge of something, and definatly credited?

He made the engine.  It was an utterly terrible engine.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27