Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 40072 times)

symonthewise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BASILEUS
Re: The War Z
« Reply #270 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »

Apparently it was just removed from steam.   I think you can still visit the store page, but it won't let you buy it.

Yup.

Also, more hilarity.  Even the title image was cobbled together from spare parts.

Oh god, you're kidding, right? Because if that's true, the devs have a big problem. Using human photographic subjects without their express permission is, IIRC, illegal. And I'm willing to bet they didn't obtain permission.  :o

Shady or unethical actions are one thing. Borderline criminal actions, on the other hand...

Apologies for interrupting the I told you sos and back-patting huddle, but the example here is pretty common in concept art unfortunately. I went to school with a number of people going into that industry and no matter how they started out they all ended up painting over photos, with no real interest in acquiring rights or permissions.

Usually the idea is to do it with a bit more care (which would mean not just googling zombie and painting some extra hair on them or whatever) but I'm willing to bet this type of thing is rife in indy circles where money is tight and art is photorealistic, and probably not uncommon even on higher profile games. Comics too.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 20, 2012, 07:36:55 am »

Well, the saddest of news, looks like the developers are being resonable again, at least skimming their latest interview over at PCgamer. It was a fun ride while it lasted, though I still hold out hope of further drama to come.

Oh, sure, I'll link the interview I guess http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/20/the-war-z-interview-sergey-titov-backlash/

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 20, 2012, 08:13:24 am »

Fun fact:
The article tags include "Arma 2" and "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 20, 2012, 08:32:45 am »

After acquiring an account for this lovely "game" all I have to say is:

I really feel sorry for people who paid money for this.

Reaaally, I am sorry. There needs to be a regulatory body for making sure such memetic anthrax doesnt reach the open market.

For anyone considering giving this a try: Dont. Donate your money to "stalinists in need"

It ends up in better hands.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 20, 2012, 09:05:19 am »

Sergey Titov also worked on Gears of War and League of Legends. I'm sure there are plenty of developers who've worked on shitty games in their past.

And don't feel sorry for me Geneoce. I enjoyed the game. Plenty of people before this whole steam thing did too. I've paid more money for worse games in the past, and I'm sure I will again.

Fun fact:
The article tags include "Arma 2" and "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead".

I was wondering why all the anti-war Z articles were showing up in my Steam ARMA 2 news feed. See what I mean when I say that it's cool to hate on this game because "OMG IT COPIED DAY Z?!" :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 20, 2012, 10:53:34 am »

See what I mean when I say that it's cool to hate on this game because "OMG IT COPIED DAY Z?!"

Because there's no way it could be because of the cheap tactics they used to develop their game, the misrepresentation, or the fact their Executive Producer is a royal dick nozzle, could it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 20, 2012, 10:57:53 am »

Actually, the fact that it blatantly ripped off DayZ hardly concerned me, it was the false advertising and anal PR that really got me raging.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 20, 2012, 11:01:55 am »

Actually, the fact that it blatantly ripped off DayZ hardly concerned me, it was the false advertising and anal PR that really got me raging.

I usually don't have too much of a problem with being inspired on other games, IF they have a slightly different concept or are seeking to solve things like engine-inherent problems.
But yeah, calling campers faggots, false advertising, trying to say that it was NOT false advertising flushed it straight trough the toilet.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 20, 2012, 11:17:48 am »

And don't feel sorry for me Geneoce. I enjoyed the game. Plenty of people before this whole steam thing did too. I've paid more money for worse games in the past, and I'm sure I will again.

Well I wont, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be warned about how terrible this is before laying down there cash on it.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 20, 2012, 11:31:46 am »

See what I mean when I say that it's cool to hate on this game because "OMG IT COPIED DAY Z?!"

Because there's no way it could be because of the cheap tactics they used to develop their game, the misrepresentation, or the fact their Executive Producer is a royal dick nozzle, could it?

What do any of those things have to do with Day Z though? I mean specifically why would any of those things require an article about The War Z to be tagged with DayZ and Day Z so it shows up in the Steam ARMA 2 news feed?

And if I didn't play games that had dick nozzles involved in their development process then holy shit I'd play hardly play any games at all. :P

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 20, 2012, 11:34:18 am »

What do any of those things have to do with Day Z though? I mean specifically why would any of those things require an article about The War Z to be tagged with DayZ and Day Z so it shows up in the Steam ARMA 2 news feed?

And if I didn't play games that had dick nozzles involved in their development process then holy shit I'd play hardly play any games at all. :P
There's a difference between your definition of a "dick nozzle" and a company doing illegal things.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 20, 2012, 11:34:55 am »

Because Day Z fans were exactly the sort of people that wanted the kind of game War Z promised, the most likely to have been led in by the lies, and the most likely to have been sorely disappointed by the result?

Regardless of whether it has anything to do with Day Z, it is certainly relevant to the Day Z audience, most of whom (in my experience), were rooting for this game being awesome and were all too likely to fall into it's trap.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2012, 12:04:02 pm »

Because Day Z fans were exactly the sort of people that wanted the kind of game War Z promised, the most likely to have been led in by the lies, and the most likely to have been sorely disappointed by the result?

Regardless of whether it has anything to do with Day Z, it is certainly relevant to the Day Z audience, most of whom (in my experience), were rooting for this game being awesome and were all too likely to fall into it's trap.
I must disagree, i do enjoy dayz and i can asure you anyone with anykind of gaming experience could tell just from seing 10 secs of gameplay that it was nothing compared to it. Even if done right 100% i would still consider it shit, it takes all of the "survival/harcore/simulation?" from the game, storing items between livies in private bases? no thanks, Bandages that heal hp? no thanks, CoD like shooting? no thanks, etc etc etc.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 20, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »

Not all DayZ fans, obviously. I stand corrected.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:50 pm »

The main relation there is between WarZ and DayZ is the hate that appeared between the two communities before the game launched.
That's it.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27