Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 40112 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #210 on: December 19, 2012, 08:51:07 am »

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/the-war-z-producer-calls-campers-fgots-6398729

someone linked it already

Hilarious

Also there were reports of people getting "bait items" which will get you banned in completely normal places. So much for good developers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:17:10 am by justinlee999 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 19, 2012, 08:53:33 am »

Just gonna make a point of stating that they were banned by folk involved with the game, not by Valve.  Also, a Valve representative is looking into the matter.

This is true to a point, but it is still the Valve forums, the fact that they apparently allow such clear conflicts in interest in their moderators is worrying. Even if this case is solved to a satisfactory state, it certainly is bringing up some big questions for me about how trustworthy Valve is.

Edit: Actually that is a bit of a lie, since Valve pretty much lost all my trust from sword of the stars 2, but I think you understand what I meant.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:56:08 am by Criptfeind »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 19, 2012, 08:55:35 am »

Just gonna make a point of stating that they were banned by folk involved with the game, not by Valve.  Also, a Valve representative is looking into the matter.

Yup, the same on the WarZ forums that will ban you for anything hurting the sales (anything criticizing the game, giving advice about buying a cheaper package, etc).
Though I'm honestly disapointed that Valve let this game on Steam, at least before it goes F2P.

And I don't know how someone can think that bait items is a good idea.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 19, 2012, 08:58:51 am »

Bait items don't sounds like a terrible idea to me. Maybe not like, useful in anyway since you will only catch a very small number of people.

Although I did hear that the bait items were fucked up and could be obtained by non hackers. Which is a large issue if true.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2012, 09:06:10 am »

Gamers will always find a way to get to the places they're not meant to be able to reach, even without hacks.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 19, 2012, 09:06:34 am »

Good point.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 19, 2012, 09:14:45 am »

And more importantly when the game is not finished. That's even the very purpose of an alpha/beta.

Bait items can only involve people that will find an exploit, not hackers. So, it will ban you for finding an exploit.
Hackers will simply kill other players, if they want anything.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 19, 2012, 09:21:45 am »

The bait items could work as a reward for people to find exploits. If you pick them up, a screen should appear saying "How did you get here?", and the item would be disabled and granted when the devs can replicated.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 19, 2012, 09:23:32 am »

Wait, since they seem to do the bannings all at once on a specific day, how do they know it was a hacker who picked up a bait item? What if someone killed the hacker and looted the item? Or if a hacker started grabbing bait items specifically to give to noobs and get them banned?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:25 am »

The real thing that sets apart this blunder from the other blunders is how the developers responded to the criticism.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 19, 2012, 09:28:04 am »

Wait, since they seem to do the bannings all at once on a specific day, how do they know it was a hacker who picked up a bait item? What if someone killed the hacker and looted the item? Or if a hacker started grabbing bait items specifically to give to noobs and get them banned?
The innocents get banned. Simple as that.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 19, 2012, 10:19:08 am »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

Interview with Executive Producer Sergey Titov.

In it, he tries to redefine the meaning of online gaming and, in fact, just about everything we understand about digital game releases. Players in his mind clearly don't know how to read or cannot magically draw the correct interpretation of his words from his mind.

Choice quotes: ""I can assure you that based on what we're seeing and number of people who post bad comments are small percentage..."

"'Over 100 sq km' falls in '100 to 400' right?"

"There's no such thing as 'Release' for an online game."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:40 am »

I'm making a new game, we have somewhere between 5km - 1000km of gamespace! Also, we can host up to 500 people per server (though we find 5 a more preferable number, so that's the actual cap).

/hyperbole

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 19, 2012, 10:55:39 am »

I could make you a game with more space than that in an hour.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:09 am »

The next map is going to be 420 square kilometers!

Liars!

I'm also amused that he said

"Hammerpoint, since its early alpha" (Emphasis mine).

Oh, and apparantly servers support "up to 400" players, but they didn't get 100 players because "it's not what our players want".

I'm just going to stop quoting all the sillyness now. As far as my knowledge goes, their "foundation release" is actually an open beta, because "It means that our system are mature enough to represent BASE for future feature development and expansion." seems like what most developers would call "beta release".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:03:31 am by miauw62 »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27