Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 39990 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The War Z
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

So, pictures, videos? Pictures! Videos!
TWZ Video Database(Note:This URL links to their forums)
Short, uncut gameplay video
HUD Explained
Yodel le he hoo
Nighttime Hunting
Cinematic Pictures

Social Media
Twitter
Facebook

Okay, you've got my attention. What is this 'The War Z'?
First, let's start off with the Developer Diaries section of their forum.
   The War Z is a post-apocalyptic zombie survival MMO, with a maximum of 250 players per server. The first and current game world is slightly smaller than Arma 2's 'Chernarus' map.(The map will be roughly 200 square kilometers, I believe. Not 100% sure on this though, you'd have to look it up further.) There will be normal mode and Hardcore mode, each with differing features. Gameplay consists of surviving, and heading to 'safe zones'(albeit not really safe. You can attack the safe zones and, in theory, as bandits eradicate all safe zones in the server. I'm guessing it's vice versa for survivors on bandit 'safe zones'.) to trade, group up for expeditions into zombie territory and so on and so forth. There will be ingame creatable and joinable clans that you can join as well.

Normal/Hard mode consists of managing your noise and sight levels, as well as ammo, food, and water(food and water need to be consumed). As well as strategic decisions, ie. shooting or meleeing(which could get you infected) due to sound. Infection comes from getting bit, and can be cured by hunting special zombies in the dark of night, hunting special 'stem cell' zombies that could be surrounding by more infected. After extracting these stem cells, you can use it to craft cures(and I think vaccines) to combat the zombie infections.

Modifications can be found for guns, which are realistically placed. Scavenging for items takes time, you can't pick up instantly.

Currency is in the form of gold coins(which hold value after the apocalypse, and can be bought for real money((NOTE:The game is not pay2win, gold coins will only net customization items and food items, possibly medkits and water not sure though))) and dollars(which can be found in the game world and got using trade. you can also barter in the trade system with items).

Alignments, due to shooting bad or good people, is fairly simple. You can kill a neutral or good person(No NPCs ingame except for at safe zones)to get bandit rep, or kill a bad person for good rep. Bandit rep makes you shoot on sight in safe zones, and vice versus for good rep and bandit safe zones.

Sounds fun! Where can I buy it, or have constructive suggestions placed?
Pre-order is currently not up, but when it becomes open you will have the option to buy through steam or buy it through their website, possibly other distributors. The game works with xbox controllers, and willl cost $30 dollars at release, with a rumoured discount bringing it down to $20, as well as pre-ordering nets you access into the beta when it opens up.

Their forums hold a suggestions area.

Who's down for making a B12 Clan when beta opens up, for those who buy it?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:09:27 pm by x2yzh9 »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »

Creator of Big Rigs...right, that certainly doesn't give me any confidence in the game.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »

Creator of Big Rigs...right, that certainly doesn't give me any confidence in the game.
Well, the screenshots look somewhat promising(albeit they don't show any of the UI or what it would look like to us, non-cinematic mode) and it doesn't seem sergey was the lead programmer or even one of the main programmers of big rigs, just the creator of it. So I dunno, make of it what you will, but I'm definitely excited. I know quite a few other people are too, but who knows? It could very well just be a MMO capitalizing on the popularity of the zombie genre, but there's also the real possibility of it being the zombie game we've all been waiting for. Here's hoping.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:43:22 pm »

Are we talking about THE big rigs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

they are already wanting preorders.... bwahahahahaha
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:32 pm »

I think this would do better if it wasn't a complete rip off of DayZ.

Someone could really steal DayZ's thunder by making a game in which survival is a real challenge(not just PvP). You know with rare food/water/ammo and what not.
I'd buy it.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »

I think this would do better if it wasn't a complete rip off of DayZ.

Someone could really steal DayZ's thunder by making a game in which survival is a real challenge(not just PvP). You know with rare food/water/ammo and what not.
I'd buy it
well to be fair the game has been in developement for a year now, long before day z was made public. I don't think its a rip off of day z in the slightest.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:14:53 pm »

I don't usually take pot shots at dev's work but if these are the guys behind big rigs I'm going to be following this VERY closely. Out of sheer morbid enjoyment at watching it completely go balls-out wrong all over the place. I have never witnessed a more gloriously bad game than big rigs. I don't mean bad as in it's a poor game, I mean bad as in it's a sincerely botched attempt at programming on all levels.

Edit

Having looked over their site, it also says many of their programmers have worked on games such as call of duty, mechwarrior, and other titles. I'm now simply skeptical, as there is a slight chance that the big rigs guys might be better PRODUCERS than PROGRAMMERS.

One can only hope..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:17:15 pm by alexpoysky »
Poysky Productions

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 04:23:14 pm »

I'm already following about three in-development zombie games at the moment, I don't have nearly enough waste-able time to follow a fourth. Though I do wonder what's with the explosion in this genre recently.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 04:25:31 pm »

well to be fair the game has been in developement for a year now, long before day z was made public. I don't think its a rip off of day z in the slightest.

- Focus on PvP over PvE
- Food/Water system (which seems to be a side feature rather than a primary one)
- (optional) Perma-death

It sounds like they're trying to be DayZ "but better" to me.
Keep in mind this isn't per se a bad thing. It's not like they're stealing code. Plus, it could even end up being DayZ... But better.

I just think it would have been best to put more of their own spin on it.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:27 pm »

they are already wanting preorders.... bwahahahahaha

If you actually look at the preorder page, you'll see:

Enter your email address to register for the chance to participate in Closed Beta Event later this summer.

So no, they're not asking for money yet. They just labelled that page poorly.

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 05:18:52 pm »

My personal opinion is that yes, they started developement a year ago, but working on an generic/unknown theme MMO, then they seen DayZ success and changed the developement course (seriously, the survivor model in the screenshots is a shoot-out). That would explain why the The War Z name was only registered as late as may this year. If I were to launch a game i would know its name more than 6 months before launch, wouldn't I?  :P. Also, some of the ideas that seem radically different from DayZ are the most hardcoded ones, like safehouses, and the gold currency thing.

I didnt knew this people developed Big Rigs. Now this is personal!,

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:46 pm »

Wait the creators of Big Rigs? Im so following this to see what happens.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 05:59:01 pm »

If you would read the bottom of the website, it says developed by hammerpoint interactive, not stellar stone which developed big rigs. I seriously don't quite get all the hate and skepticism here-Just because one of the developers that had a part in big rigs is helping make this game does not mean the game is going to be bad or horrible(even though to be fair it very well could be, but it could also be very good). Also, what's wrong with more game akin to dayz? Just because they see that dayz became popular and decided to continue making a post-apocalyptic game due to that, what's wrong with that? They're not ripping off dayz either, unless you consider say, all AAA fps games to be rip offs of call of duty or the first AAA fps game just because they're in the same genre.

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »

The producer of Big Rigs, Sergey Titov, is the guy who founded the company which is making this game.

I am a little skeptical of this game..
They have no footage of this game in action. Those screenshots can easily be fabricated in a trial version of UDK/photoshop.
Considering the DayZ craze, I find it a little weird that their game is called The Way Z. They are already asking for preorders.. They shown nothing of the game.

I call bullshit on this one.. At least until they actually show something substantial.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27