Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 39975 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #360 on: December 28, 2012, 10:05:29 am »

I think at this point, things are too far gone for me to trust them even if they did apologize. I'm an impulse buyer, and I almost got the game based on the description as it first appeared. Janet managed to talk some sense into me before I did though, saving me the trouble of having to go get a refund.

Really, I'm just going to Molyneux them. Everything they say isn't to be trusted, and all that matters is the game they're developing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 28, 2012, 10:08:43 am »

I can confirm, actually.  They sent a mass email.  It's a long one, and it shows that they've actually payed attention to what's the matter.  Instead of "I'm sorry" this email is "I'm sorry and here's why."
Spoiler: The Apology (click to show/hide)
I'm still working through it myself.  My early-morning brain doesn't read so fast.

EDIT: My friend also said this:
Quote from: Skype Chat
Bikari: war z might get shut down temporarily
Bikari: The team at Hammerpoint Interactive isn't having the merriest Christmas, at least if their holiday happiness hinges on the development of embattled zombie MMO The War Z. The troubled game will likely be forced to change its name due to a trademark suspension handed down by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The organization says that the game's name is too similar to Paramount Pictures' World War Z, a Brad Pitt film slated for a 2013 release.

The decision comes on the heels of The War Z being pulled from Steam, as well as a bevy of fraud accusations from the game's disgruntled userbase.
Seems legit to me.  Maybe they'll take some time to hash out issues while they're down.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:18:59 am by Girlinhat »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 28, 2012, 10:25:26 am »

Honestly, even if they turned things around and made this THE BESTEST GAME EVAR, I still wouldn't buy it.  That'd be supporting the Sergey wanker.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 28, 2012, 10:45:07 am »

I can confirm, actually.  They sent a mass email.  It's a long one, and it shows that they've actually payed attention to what's the matter.  Instead of "I'm sorry" this email is "I'm sorry and here's why."
I'm still working through it myself.  My early-morning brain doesn't read so fast.

Bikari: The team at Hammerpoint Interactive isn't having the merriest Christmas, at least if their holiday happiness hinges on the development of embattled zombie MMO The War Z. The troubled game will likely be forced to change its name due to a trademark suspension handed down by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The organization says that the game's name is too similar to Paramount Pictures' World War Z, a Brad Pitt film slated for a 2013 release.

The decision comes on the heels of The War Z being pulled from Steam, as well as a bevy of fraud accusations from the game's disgruntled userbase.
Seems legit to me.  Maybe they'll take some time to hash out issues while they're down.
This really doesn't read all that much like an apology. After the whole mess there needed to be something to the level of the apology for the SotS2's initial release.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 28, 2012, 01:06:58 pm »

Well, they can identify parts of the problem, but I'm not putting too much faith in things until I can see the results of their work. The trademark suspension should have been dealt with by now, honestly. It should have been dealt with back when their trademark got suspended. And I'm not sure if there is a future to this game; it might not make it to 2014 if they don't have a more appealing release. People that already purchased the game might not be coming back after what happened too, and they already have a tainted IP on their doorstep. They need to either seriously turn things around, or abandon ship if they don't want to hit bankruptcy, since you basically need to throw money at servers to keep them running.

This whole thing is a mess and it's not going to get cleaned soon. So many things went wrong, so so many.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:56 pm »

Yeah, things went wrong.  But at least they're now saying that it did.  It almost looks as if they really want to do whatever it takes to make things work.  Then again, I'm currently rose-tinted because I want to see this work.  It has an ungodly amount of potential if it actually done right.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 28, 2012, 02:41:24 pm »

I really doubt they want to "Make things right.", they're just starting to put more effort into their damage control besides just insulting their playerbase.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 28, 2012, 02:45:14 pm »

According to the resident tumblr following this nonsense an actual developer has been pressuring a livestreamer with a clan to turn over the names of the rest of his clan for suspected hacking and duping.

Proving that the players best interests are still far, far away. Since this just makes it look so much like they can't actually track or look up players on their own damn servers. So instead they pressure people into turning in suspected hackers now.

It should also be mentioned this developer himself was caught cheating before, and handing out cheated items to friends.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2012, 02:16:10 am »

Why is this news?

This game needs to be forgotten, pushed through the development/HR cycle with what was learned from what i'm now just considering was a not-so-well thought out test and then undergo a proper release. The potental is high if they actually listen to the brighter half of there community and do some changes, a bit of closed testing, then some more changes ect THEN release it.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:10 am »

. . .I missed all early warnings that were saying, “Your community is not as happy as you think they are, you need to alter course.” I was too focused on how great we are. . .

I'm glad he was willing to summarize the situation for everybody. I just don't know why he wrote an essay around it.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 29, 2012, 08:20:29 pm »

. . .I was too focused on how great we are. . .

Newsflash: You don't get to call yourself great until other people start doing it. Anything else is just arrogance.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 29, 2012, 08:27:50 pm »

Unless a quality product comes out and these guys start acting like professionals, Titov's essay is meaningless PR maneuvering. My expectations for War Z are pretty low, and anybody who honestly tries to defend the game or the company might be fooling themselves a bit.

(As I type this, the guy who keeps defending War Z in this thread has logged into Arma II on Steam several times. I checked, and he's spent 35 hours on it this week. 0 hours on War Z. We've been trolled!)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:29:31 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 29, 2012, 08:46:57 pm »

Unless a quality product comes out and these guys start acting like professionals, Titov's essay is meaningless PR maneuvering. My expectations for War Z are pretty low, and anybody who honestly tries to defend the game or the company might be fooling themselves a bit.

(As I type this, the guy who keeps defending War Z in this thread has logged into Arma II on Steam several times. I checked, and he's spent 35 hours on it this week. 0 hours on War Z. We've been trolled!)

If you're talking about me, I'm playing Wasteland (Which is full on awesome, but not really all that similar to either War Z or Day Z) since I've upgraded my computer recently and can run it properly again. ARMA 2 isn't just Day Z, and I'm like 80% sure it's possible to like different games, and enjoy one game but then play another. You have no idea how much time I've spent on War Z (I don't run it through steam. I don't even have it associated with my Steam account), but no I've not played any this week. That doesn't mean I'm fooling myself because I enjoyed playing it though. Or is this one of those "only my kind of fun is fun" things?

Is it really that hard to grasp that I might genuinely enjoy the game?

Also: All PR is meaningless maneuvering.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:03 pm »

Some people genuinely enjoy sticking nails through their scrotum.  I have no problem believing that fenrif likes The War Z.

For the record, I think I'd be ever so slightly more inclined towards doing the former.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 29, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »

I'm not the only one in this thread who said they enjoyed the game.

But dont let that get in the way of telling me how I have fun wrong. ¬_¬
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27