Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 39983 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 01:19:03 am »

Let's see:
  • Associated with the guys who made "Big Rigs".
  • Apparently a shameless ripoff of another game.
  • Has a title in extremely broken English.

Looks great!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 09:55:22 am »

Let's see:
  • Associated with the guys who made "Big Rigs".
  • Apparently a shameless ripoff of another game.
  • Has a title in extremely broken English.

Looks great!
Let's not contribute anything to the discussion at all! /sarcasm. It'd be great if you know, you could actually be constructive, but I guess not!

Yea, it's associated with the guys who made big rigs. I'll give you that one, but how is it a shameless ripoff of another game? It's already been in developement for at least a year now, long before dayz became popular. And how is the title in extremely broken english? I already asked earlier for everyone to at least be constructive with their arguments and you come in and make a passive aggressive post, it just seems to me like a fair number of the people shitting up this thread like to troll any game that in ANY way imitates their glorious dayz mod.

I can understand not wanting to look at the game because it's associated with big rigs, or the fact apparently that the developers are russian and just because they aren't the best with english it's automatically a lololol terribad game but you could at least, you know, wait until they release a gameplay video!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 09:57:25 am »

To be fair, the name is probably straight from World War Z.

The War Z just sounds silly and broken, I agree. Shouldn't it be The Z War?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:59:00 am by Rex_Nex »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 10:09:33 am »

To be fair, the name is probably straight from World War Z.

The War Z just sounds silly and broken, I agree. Shouldn't it be The Z War?
Well, I had been reading somewhere on their website that they originally had planned on it to be world of Z(long time ago) and since that was taken they took The War Z. I guess it makes more sense if you pronounce it "The War Zed" But then again, title is still The War Z :P.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 10:28:41 am »

"The War Z" is broken English because that's not how English works. It would be like calling a bridge "The Bridge Washington" instead of "The Washington Bridge". Sure, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the game, but when one of the few things I actually know about it exhibits a lack of attention to trying to get things right, that's normally not a good sign.

It's an entirely different developement studio, I'm 99% sure I read that somewhere. Yes, sergey titov is a main part of the production team but I'm not going to base my purchase off of one developer that was simply involved in making big rigs. And I'm going to watch their gameplay video first, as well.

Considering the amount of healthy skepticism here, wouldn't it make sense to wait until the game actually exists and has been played before buying it?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 10:44:09 am »

All things considered, shouldn't it be Fortress of Dwarves? Dwarven Fortress?

Not really. Those make sense too, but "Dwarf Fortress" is fine and constitutes basically the same sort of grammatical construction as "animal husbandry", "dog house", "banana peel", "refugee camp", "cattle ranch", or "gun store". It's not really analogous at all.

Also, you jumped to the conclusion that x2y has already decided to purchase. He may or may not, but he's not doing anything until he sees a gameplay video and he's not going to let a developer immediately decide his decisions.

He said he'd wait for a gameplay video. If he were going to wait for more than that, he probably would have mentioned it, no?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 10:51:35 am »

Yes, I am going to wait for a gameplay video, and if it looks good to me I'm going to pre-order it. As to the skepticism, I havn't really seen any skepticism from anyone I've talked to about the game except for here. They have said they are going to release a gameplay video, and then open up pre-orders. This also basically means they are opening up their early closed beta, as pre-orders will have early access to closed beta.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 10:05:51 pm »

Let's not contribute anything to the discussion at all! /sarcasm. It'd be great if you know, you could actually be constructive, but I guess not!

Yea, it's associated with the guys who made big rigs. I'll give you that one, but how is it a shameless ripoff of another game? It's already been in developement for at least a year now, long before dayz became popular. And how is the title in extremely broken english? I already asked earlier for everyone to at least be constructive with their arguments and you come in and make a passive aggressive post, it just seems to me like a fair number of the people shitting up this thread like to troll any game that in ANY way imitates their glorious dayz mod.

I can understand not wanting to look at the game because it's associated with big rigs, or the fact apparently that the developers are russian and just because they aren't the best with english it's automatically a lololol terribad game but you could at least, you know, wait until they release a gameplay video!

The reason I'm criticizing it for being so similar to DayZ is actually because I don't like what DayZ has become: Focused on PvP to the point where everything else is trivial. PvE and survival should be at least as dire as people, not laughable.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »

In Soviet Russia, language breaks you!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:38 am »

Huh..Well, MFP, I don't know how much better this game will be if that's what your looking for-They've said they've put in an alignment system(They didn't state if it's obvious to other players what your alignment is) but if you have a bad alignment then you can't enter survivor 'safe zones'(which aren't actually safe, can be overrun by players, I don't think zombies can though) and you can only enter the one bandit camp on the map as your 'safe zone' for bandits. So they've put in repercussions for banditism, I think, we'll just have to wait for the gameplay vid and reviews on the closed beta(If there isn't an NDA.)to release.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »

Just... read this
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 02:21:34 pm »

Just read the comments. :U

As I stated in that topic, most of this "Research" is outright stated in the FAQ. Yes, it sprung up recently, yes, it's on a different engine of theirs. Yeah, the Big Rigs guy is on the team. But really, is this so bad? If it's fun, I'll play it. I want to shoot some friggin' zombies in an apocalyptic survival scenario. Let the best game win.
Maybe. The main issue is that we are incredibly skeptic that it will be a decently done game. If it actually turns out to be good, awesome then, we'll play it. But from what we saw, the history of the team does not merely demonstrates lack of competence but lack of caring. When it is released, or at least goes into a playable beta, I'll give it a look and see if it pleasantly surprises me, but for now I'll keep seriously doubting anything good will come from this.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »

I thought the title was a play on words? The War Z -> The WarZ -> The Wars. Also "The War Z" isn't really broken english. Aside from the fact that English (and all language in general) is extremely malleable, titles especially are something that you get a lot of artistic license with. Video game titles on the whole are riddled with deliberatly misspelled words, made up words, etc. But that's ok because a title doesn't have to follow any rules.

It's like getting mad that "eXistenZ" wasn't called "Existence." Also DayZ is broken english too, by your logic. It should be Day Z, or Days. As it's written the mod should be called "daze." At least The War Z is readable as what it says.

The reason I'm criticizing it for being so similar to DayZ is actually because I don't like what DayZ has become: Focused on PvP to the point where everything else is trivial. PvE and survival should be at least as dire as people, not laughable.

I thought DayZ was heading in the opposite direction? Last time I played they were making zombies more numerous and deadly, and had just completely nerfed the starting inventory specifically to force players not to kill each other on the beaches. What've they been doing lately to move it back towards PVP? I might have to look into it if they're fixing the focus on PVE and zombies.

The whole driving force of Day Z to me was the PVP. Not necissarily the actual act of fighting other players, but the knowledge that it was possible drove every encounter in the game, regardless of if another player was involved or not. Once you've scavenged a weapon, pack, survival gear, etc once you've done it a thousand times. But players are unpredictable, deadly, and hillarious. You can figure out how the zombies work, and how to avoid them pretty easy (running into buildings so they had to slow walk, for example) but players are sneaky, decietfull, helpfull, cruel, kind, etc. That's why DayZ was such a huge success. And that's what I hope the focus is on in The War Z, because that's what'll make the game great. It's what drives people to upload hundreds of hours of youtube videos a day. It's what gives you great stories to tell your friends about this cool new game you played the other day.

Zombies are basically binary encounters. Either they see you or they don't. If they see you, you can kill them or die (apparently you can run away from them now? I dunno). But the possible outcomes of any zombie encounter are extremely limited to the point of repetition. I read something once where the zombies in DayZ were compared to mines, and towns minefields. Which I think is a really apt analogy. And I think basically that's what they work well as. At least with the AI they have (or can possibly hope to have) in ARMA 2, DayZ, The War Z, and any other game that's likely to be made any time soon.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

It looks like there won't be an NDA, as their community manager on their forums stated that once in beta they'll be letting everyone put up videos as well-So that's good. If everyone here is so skeptical, once the game gets in beta I'm sure videos will start popping up immediately besides the gameplay video that their PR/marketing/dev team is making and releasing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »

I thought the title was a play on words? The War Z -> The WarZ -> The Wars. Also "The War Z" isn't really broken english. Aside from the fact that English (and all language in general) is extremely malleable, titles especially are something that you get a lot of artistic license with. Video game titles on the whole are riddled with deliberatly misspelled words, made up words, etc. But that's ok because a title doesn't have to follow any rules.

It's like getting mad that "eXistenZ" wasn't called "Existence." Also DayZ is broken english too, by your logic. It should be Day Z, or Days. As it's written the mod should be called "daze." At least The War Z is readable as what it says.

There's a difference between intentionally fiddling with the language for some kind of effect and just plain doing it wrong by accident in a way that sounds horribly awkward. If I call a game "Battles-Field 2: A Force Specials" instead of "Battlefield 2: Special Forces", I don't get to say "but English is malleable and it's a title of something!" and expect to get away with it.

And if they wanted "War Z" to be a pun on "wars", they would have made it one word. It's not like that hasn't been done before.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27