Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 40092 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2012, 11:13:09 am »

They should at least have the decency to say its an open alpha. Hell it''s not even worth being a closed beta test. Close betas are essentially major bug fixes at that point.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2012, 11:24:31 am »

For what it's worth, they're dammed if they do and dammed if they don't on the player limit stuff. If they have 100 players on the Colorado map (something they now offere AFAIK) then every city, town, or outpost will just be murdertown central.

Which I don't personally mind, but then you have all the players who whine because they keep getting killed every time they go into town...

They should at least have the decency to say its an open alpha. Hell it''s not even worth being a closed beta test. Close betas are essentially major bug fixes at that point.

What alpha, beta, and closed beta and all the other terms of their ilk mean has been so watered down over the past decade that they're basically meaningless beyond the concept taht something in beta/alpha isn't finished yet.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2012, 11:28:40 am »

They could add "By popular demand, the current player limit is 50" but noooo.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2012, 11:33:39 am »

What alpha, beta, and closed beta and all the other terms of their ilk mean has been so watered down over the past decade that they're basically meaningless beyond the concept taht something in beta/alpha isn't finished yet.

That said, the state of your game when you finally offer it for sale on a platform like Steam DOES matter.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2012, 11:35:09 am »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

Interview with Executive Producer Sergey Titov.

In it, he tries to redefine the meaning of online gaming and, in fact, just about everything we understand about digital game releases. Players in his mind clearly don't know how to read or cannot magically draw the correct interpretation of his words from his mind.

Choice quotes: ""I can assure you that based on what we're seeing and number of people who post bad comments are small percentage..."

"'Over 100 sq km' falls in '100 to 400' right?"

"There's no such thing as 'Release' for an online game."

My favorite quote was this one:

Sergey Titov: Max players -- I'm not sure why this is even an issue. [The] text clearly stated "up to 100 players." And 50 players [which] we have right now -- is what our players -- our community feels is comfortable level for them to play. We had it at 40, we've raised it to 70,

Made my day.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2012, 11:38:17 am »

That said, the state of your game when you finally offer it for sale on a platform like Steam DOES matter.

Oh definatly, they fucked up pretty bad there, and I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing killed the game. Which is a shame cause it had serious potential.

Steam really needs to get on this though, they need some sort of vetting process for this sort of thing, even if it's just one dude doing google searches.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:55 am »

I'm happy enough to volunteer for dude duties.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2012, 11:56:35 am »

Really, I almost bought the game when it came out, but the store page on release was damn misleading.

To begin with, they mentioned there were maps between 100-400 sq kms, when all they had at the moment was Colorado. They mentioned that you can kill zombies to gain experience and level your skills up, when skills were not implemented in the game yet. They mentioned there was driving, when there wasn't. And now that they updated the page so that it's more in touch with how the game is, they're claiming that people have misinterpreted the store page. Misinterpretation only works when someone is being vague, or uses double meanings: there's no way to interpret maps as one map, no way to interpret upgrade your skills as there being no way to influence your skills in game at the moment, and there was no way to know, from looking at the steam store page at the time, that all these features were not present in the game, but were planned for it. And no, you cannot put the burden of the research on consumers, since we've gone through this before as a species, and put down rules on fraud. Advertising can embellish things, but it cannot outright lie about what is in your product.

Other than that, from what I've seen, they may not call it an alpha or a beta, but it is an alpha in spirit. The interface has unimplemented features showing, which can be expected to be put in within the next year, in game reflections are handled by duplicating objects, and the game has pretty high system requirements for how it looks and plays.

I can't trust the Sergei Titov after this, especially when his response to this is to act like none of this is his fault, that the people complaining about the game are a vocal minority. It seems all discussion about the game has been about the controversy, not about how to play it; given that the game doesn't come with a tutorial, I'd expect there to be people that head to forums to ask about things.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2012, 12:13:18 pm »

tl;dr Cash grab is cash grab, everyone go and play something the gives you what it advertises, like DayZ

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 19, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/how-big-war-zs-map

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

So happy I never bought this game.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2012, 12:22:36 pm »

So the next map will be 42 square kilometers. Good to know.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »

For fun, I'm looking at major video game sites and see what they think. If you have free time and want a good laugh, this is a good way to pass time.

Also, Valve is now assuming direct control on the Steam forums. The people rejoice.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2012, 12:29:01 pm »

Eurogamer has pulled their advertisements for WarZ, that means that the WarZ advertisements on RPS were pulled too.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »

This is delicious. I just love it when they are too stupid to just apologize and then shut the hell up, and instead keep digging themselves deeper. That dev Sergei Whatsit reminds me of the xbox controller drama guy a while back. Now he just needs to start spewing legal threats and he will pretty much be that guy :p

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27