Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: The War Z  (Read 40107 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The War Z
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2012, 07:45:28 am »

False screenshots with things not even in the game. Try to defend that. I don't dislike this game because it looks a bit like DayZ, but because they promised tonnes of features on the steam page as "key features", but these features were not in the game at all. They also had false screenshots, their anti-hack system is terrible...

I think it got in trough greenlight, in wich i have lost all trust since Y0GV3NTHURRZ.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2012, 07:50:16 am »

I think it got in trough greenlight, in wich i have lost all trust since Y0GV3NTHURRZ.

Why do people keep saying this?  You could find out it's false in a few seconds.  I can tell you have the internet because you're on the internet.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2012, 07:52:10 am »

Hmm, sorry, excuse my ignorance.
There goes my faith in Valve. How the fuck did it get trough the notoriously hard-to-get-trough non-greenlight approval process?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2012, 07:52:27 am »

Yes? And I adressed that in my post? You singled out a lone line of text from an entire post and took it out of context to respond to a point I wasn't making?

I was respoinding specifically to PanH saying those things don't work, and saying the game is still in development. I know they listed them as working features on the steam page, and I've said that's a pretty shitty/stupid thing to do, but that's not what I was talking about.

He listed a lot of things that were wrong with the game and your post was defending them. Every part of your post was defending the game. So yeah. When you said That they didn't mention it on steam. I think it is reasonable to think that is exactly what you are talking about.

Unfortunately, saying words means you said words. Shocking.

Hmm, sorry, excuse my ignorance.
There goes my faith in Valve. How the fuck did it get trough the notoriously hard-to-get-trough non-greenlight approval process?

It didn't. If you mean The War Z. It appears that certain publishers (anyone with a game on steam already?) don't need to go though any process at all.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2012, 07:52:56 am »

Oh, also, they just quadrupled the respawn time to 4 horus and are now charging approx. $0.40 to insta-respawn.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:23 am »

Yeah, but what did hammerpoint interactive do? A search on them only reveals War Z related stuff.
So how the fuck did they advoid the process?

Either way, this is probably the biggest disaster in steam history.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2012, 08:01:43 am »

That's actually a really good point. I can't find anything official, without with it would seem let letting this on steam was a active instead of passive decision. Which would be like, a large fuck up.

Also I would still rate Sword of the Stars II as a bigger disaster, but only because that game actually could have been good.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2012, 08:06:19 am »

Or mayby that steam forum security breach some time ago.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2012, 08:10:45 am »

War Inc?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:28 am »

Do you have any proof they banned anyone but hackers though? I mean I don't have any proof otherwise, but there was a few weeks there where the game was impossible to play because every server was riddled with hackers. There were A LOT of hackers. Putting items in inaccessable places is somethign they only started doing like a day or two ago with the recent patch, and they have other anti-hacking methods in place.

What's wrong with the game being accessable the first day of alpha by testers? I don't remember anyone with a beta access account being able to play, and I know a few people who had those?

Do you have any proof of ANY of their "other" anti hack method in place ? Because you have to be pretty dumb to bait items to fight hacking.
I do know some people (via WarZ forums), that weren't hackers, and did get banned.
You can also look at what the moderator said about that. "randomly ban accounts that are very active as they know the people behind the accounts are addicted and will sign up again."

Also, survivors were able to get in the first "release". Not being able to make the difference between survivors and other packages. Great job.

Stealth sytem, AI, rendering, server capacity, etc: the game is still in development." That they didn't mention it on steam doesn't change the fact that the game isn't done yet. It's like how Minecraft wasn't done but kept letting people pay money for it (and then said "we're done!" held a massive convention to celebrate it, arbitrarily raised the price, and still wasn't finished).

The devs do comunicate with the community. I mean you say they insult players, how can they do that without communicating with them? Sure they're kinda shit at it, but they do release patch notes, talk about what they're working on, what should be in the game soon, why some features didn't make recent patches, etc. You'd have to be willfully ignorant to think theres no developer/community communication.
DF, Minecraft, and a ton of games are still in development. And I'm talking about in game features. Not about skills, and all the other features.

Then, why are you liking to minecraft ? Point being ? It's acceptable the game isn't finished because another game wasn't finished at said that either ?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-war-z-producer-calls-campers-fgots-6398729 (note that this is the producer, the main contact between dev and community)

Though not saying the game is in beta or alpha or whatever is pretty stupid
That's basically what they did the whole time. Vaporware.

You don't know what the word vapourware means... :S

The devs have always said the game was in early development. The only time they have fucked that up is when they put it on steam, and I thought I read somewhere they fixed that now? Either way they've definatly not been doing it "the whole time."
[/quote]
You mean, building hype to try to sell a game the more possible, with actually only a prototype behind ? Yes, that's what they did the whole time. Saying the game was developped since a long time. Saying it wasn't a WarInc mod. Saying survival will be an important part. And so on.
That's prettying much "selling smoke", and there's no other way to qualify that thing as anything other than a cash grab.

A paying game with micro transaction ? It's "ok", as long as items aren't necessary/very important.
Paying important features ? That's bullshit. And there's no other words.

You very obviously don't like the game, and that's cool. But you're also being very obviously kind of biased in the way you look at it. The game has problems sure, but I've had enough fun to warrent whatever it was I paid for it a few months back. So have my friends. If they improve on it from here on I'll be even more happy.

And once again I can't help mentioning that other games do this stuff, but they aren't DayZ-genre entries. The perception that this game "Ripped off" DayZ seems to be colouring peoples perceptions of it hugely, and things they'd happily accept from other companies and developers are suddenly huge warning signs that this is a scam or vaporware (note: you don't get to play vaporware. Vaporware doesn't mean "a game I don't like" or "a game in development")

So because, I tested a game (before it launched on Steam), I'm biased ? Biased compared to what ? Did I mention DayZ once in my post ?
Thank you for assuming things that I thought because I obviously didn't knew them before you told me so.

Also, no, "ripping off" a game is pretty common practice. When you do it properly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:24:53 am by PanH »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2012, 08:25:08 am »

Surprised no one said "War Z" yet.
Can you but it in "regret buying" if you already got a refund ?

Wait, do we have refunds yet? (moved it here to not clutter up the games you regret buying thread)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2012, 08:26:45 am »

Surprised no one said "War Z" yet.
Can you but it in "regret buying" if you already got a refund ?

Wait, do we have refunds yet? (moved it here to not clutter up the games you regret buying thread)

From what I understand, a few people have managed to get a refund for this, though the developers increasingly hostile stance makes me think it may be harder. And of course, if you bought it off steam, there's always that process (which i hear is a pain).

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:42 am »

There has been a lots of refunds, at least before the Steam release.

Sergey's answer was : "We will grant every 47 people who wants refund their refund, and also banning their forum account, and their game account, and make them unable to buy the game again." There was more than 47 people wanting refund btw, but that's not the point.

At some point though, they decided to stop granting refund, using the excuse of "having spent enough hours playing the game already". To everyone. Which is illegal considering the product hadn't been released. In fact, everyone that paid outside of Xsolla (which managed payment with more local ways), could have a refund.

I don't know about the situation now though (but Steam generally refuse any refund for anything other than a pre order).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:20 am »

There were a lot of refund stories that ended in successes on the steam forums before they were all deleted. Additionally there was a lot of talk about various consumer protection laws being thrown around, lots of people seem to believe that under these laws they pretty much have to give refunds to people who purchased it on steam at least.

I'm not sure how much of it to believe, but quite a few people seemed to be saying it was working. Before they got banned from the steam forum at least.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2012, 08:48:28 am »

There were a lot of refund stories that ended in successes on the steam forums before they were all deleted. Additionally there was a lot of talk about various consumer protection laws being thrown around, lots of people seem to believe that under these laws they pretty much have to give refunds to people who purchased it on steam at least.

I'm not sure how much of it to believe, but quite a few people seemed to be saying it was working. Before they got banned from the steam forum at least.

Just gonna make a point of stating that they were banned by folk involved with the game, not by Valve.  Also, a Valve representative is looking into the matter.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27