Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving  (Read 1793 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »

I know engraving improves the quality of the fort, but I only engrave the walls, it just makes sense to me,plus it looks cluttered when the floor is also engraved..Anyone else think this way too?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:31:47 pm »

I use Phoebus tileset, engravings look pretty decent.  If you need incentive, then it will increase the quality of bedrooms and dining rooms etc, thereby boosting happy thoughts.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:34:16 pm »

I've taken to engraving huge floor sections when I am training up my engravers so that I can floor over them later.

And you do realize that you can d>v the engravings away, right?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:52 pm »

Having solid colors on the ground when there are workshops and furniture around is eyemeltingly bad. I usually just leave floors smoothed as a result. It's easy enough to raise value without engraving the floors anyway, and you can also leave aesthetic pillars around and engrave those.

I do, however, always smooth and engrave areas that will later be flooded with water/magma. Kind of OCD, but I hate to think of wasted structural wealth and training material under there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »

I know engraving improves the quality of the fort, but I only engrave the walls, it just makes sense to me,plus it looks cluttered when the floor is also engraved..Anyone else think this way too?
The only engravings I have are the bugged engraved metal walls. And they're a novelty. Truthfully I rarely go beyond smoothing, the cluttered images are just too chaotic. Unless I'm going for a chaotic theme.
Plus it makes it more noticeable when you actually do include engravings.

I do, however, always smooth and engrave areas that will later be flooded with water/magma. Kind of OCD, but I hate to think of wasted structural wealth and training material under there.
Aren't you worried about accidentally driving a weak minded engraver to insanity?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »

Well, with magma areas I only engrave the walls. They don't seem to melt off like the floors do. I haven't actually checked if the floors remain smoothed, though... not that it really matters.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 04:48:11 pm »

Designating large areas to smooth before you start engraving is a good way to train up your engravers.  Also, engraving less important areas.  I usually do things like bedrooms and dining rooms last unless I get lucky with a legendary migrant.  If you engrave your high-traffic areas with low-skilled dwarves, the engravings won't be worth nearly as much and won't generate as many happy thoughts.  So, it could be worth engraving the floors in areas you don't look at much if you don't like the look of it. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »

if you dont like the different looks of all the random tiles from engraving you can turn it off in the int or somthing
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »

I use Phoebus tileset, engravings look pretty decent.  If you need incentive, then it will increase the quality of bedrooms and dining rooms etc, thereby boosting happy thoughts.

Same, Phoebus/Mayday tilesets make engravings look decent without being cluttered.

At the start, the only thing that gets smoothed is the noble areas and the dining hall.  If I'm in a hurry to boost the noble's room value, I'll let an accomplished engraver do it (mostly superior/exceptional engravings at that point).  Bedrooms for regular dwarves get smoothed after that's taken care of.

Once I have 2 legendary engravers, I add 2 more and start smoothing everything, then engraving in bits after they skill up.

I actually prefer to smooth/engrave floors first as those get covered up with furniture.