Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is my new Mayor a vampire?  (Read 721 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Is my new Mayor a vampire?
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:11 am »

So, my expert miner and ONLY mechanic was found dead, all his blood sucked out. I immediately knew I'm dealing with a vampire, altough this is my personal first vampire encounter so far. For some reason, I grew suspicious of my recent mayor, former marksdwarf. He has never drank or eaten so far as I know. He's relationships lists about a hundred different realtives, especially grandchildren etc. So, he's lying his age, is he? Enough evidence to introduce him to some extremely cruel death? I'm reallyreally vengeful right now, there were plenty of cheese makers around to kill instead. Now I have to train a peasant and a shearer from scrap. Also, any ideas on how I should kill him?

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is my new Mayor a vampire?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:32:55 am »

What would be more vengeful, killing the vampire in a fun and creative way, or dooming him to an eternal afterlife of mundane servitude?  Don't kill the guy, find a use for him.  I have a fort in a terrifying biome where I was delighted to get a vampire in my latest migrant wave.  I have him running around the zombie-infested surface unmolested, picking up useful items left by past caravans and dropping them down a shaft into an airlock where my dwarfs can fetch them into the fortress proper.  Win-win.

Also, mechanics and especially miners are trivial to train up.  Don't lose any sleep over it.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:37:03 am »

Yeah, it just slowed down my projects a bit. I'll just remove his mayorship, and make him a spider loom worker or something. Or, test my new pit on him, because he's so carismatic that he'll always win mayor elections...

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:59 am »

He's a vampire, definitely. The mayor has been locked in a small containment room for a long time, and no hunger or thirst generated.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:39 am »

Check your nobles screen occasionally, cause vamps can get "elected" to noble positions, repeatedly. I have seen vampires in my forts with very high social skills, and they keep getting elected mayor. The guy is locked up (I made him manager/bookkeeper) so this has caused me to miss a liason twice!

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:12:14 am »

Argh, he's obviously brainwashed the whole population. I'll kill him, because apparently my world is full of dwarf vampires anyway. I'll get another one later.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:59:56 pm »

Why not grow your own mayor?  The vampire keeps getting re-elected because he's socially powerful.  Find another dwarf who is naturally socially talented - hopefully one with easy preferences to deal with - and train him up to be more influential and popular than the vampire.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 06:40:05 am »

That's one alternative, yes. Unfortunately I don't have any potash makers yet, and all the dwarves are thusly busy working all the time. Their "novice" skills don't much count against his "expert". I do have gremlins around though, so I may get lucky with them. HOWEVER, the vamp's gotta die. I'll test my pitfall/drowning trap on him as soon as it's complete, until then he's getting scrathed by kittens 24/7. There's no way I'm letting him live, even though if it could make my fort invinsible or bring me great profit. His rotting corpse shall be cremated, and a memorial slab shall be engraved and placed in my entry hall to warn future troublemakers. And if any of his remains don't become ash, they'll be placed in a glass cube in As Syrupwarded's tomb. Aye, that was the miner/mechanic's name and I made a grand tomb for him/her, since she/he was the first dwarf to die in this fort. Justice shall be served.