Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military equipping problems  (Read 521 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Military equipping problems
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:59:17 am »

Hi there,

I'm fairly new and so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've set-up a uniform:
Steel breast plate
Steel mail shirt
Steel helm
Steel greaves
Steel gauntlets
Steel High Boots
Steel Shield
Steel Spear
Cloak
Robe

and I've assigned it to my squad (m -> e-> U -> Select squad and uniform -> Shift and enter).

I then told my dwarfs to muster in the armory and they promptly threw on armour.

Now if I go to the equip screen for my squad they all show has having everything I've told them to wear (m -> e) and there are green weapon rack icons (iron tileset) next to all the items.

HOWEVER if I actually use V to inspect the dwarfs they are wearing all sorts of junk! Most of it isn't what I've told them to wear. Some of them don't even have shields! (I have a stockpile of 15 steel shields in the same room as them).

Help anyone?

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military equipping problems
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:04:13 am »

Equip screen will show what items they have designated themselves to wear but doesn't necessary mean they have equipped it yet.
Did you tell them to put the uniform over clothing or replace? If a dwarf has for example a pair of gloves and another of mittens he will not equip gauntlets with "over clothing" setting.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:51:10 am »

Ah I see.

I may have had partial matches on as well. I've changed both these settings now and we will see what happens.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58:21 am »

There has been an increase in this problem in recent releases.  I had a problem with this a while back; plenty of armor all over the place but Urists were putting on one gauntlet, one boot, refusing to wear breastplates etc.

To solve the problem I disbanded all of my squads and watched everyone take all of their armor off. Once they were all free of their military gear, I re-created each squad one at a time and they all suited up, no problem.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:33 am »

I have now sorted out the problem. I just got them all naked and then dressed again.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:48:01 pm »

I haven't had issues in 34.11.

If it's an "over" uniform (such as I use for militia), I stick with things that will easily go "over" whatever they conceivably might be wearing.  So this means:

- leather hood x 2
- leather/metal cap (light weight) or metal helm (a lot heavier)
- leather armor or a chain mail shirt, never seen an issue with either
- cloaks x 2
- chain leggings (always seems to work)
- leather trousers are also a possibility but may not lay properly if it's an "over" uniform
- high/low boots

If it's a "replace" uniform you need to have all of the armor for a squad ready-made and you need to specify everything (down to socks, shirts, etc).  If you don't have the armor available, you can end up with naked dwarves running around until the stuff gets made.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 02:21:15 am »

yeah my dwarfs are all naked under their armour now.... It's hard to know what I can assign them without there being conflicts.