Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XenoZooMafia (interest check and sign-ups)  (Read 3472 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
XenoZooMafia (interest check and sign-ups)
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:27:27 am »

I've got an absolutely glorious idea for a mafia game, with a setting toooootally unrelated to Paranormals.

1. There is a map that consists of 36 rooms arranged in a 6x6 square that wraps around both sides. At any given moment any given person is in one room (even if he is a corpse).
2. There is no day and night cycle. Instead, there is a non-extendable 24-hour 'turn' cycle. Once every turn every player has an opportunity to move once (unless he's wounded, but that's another story).
3. At the end of every turn, if half of the people alive (rounded up) are voting for a given person, he gets lynched. Otherwise nothing happens.
4. There are two dopps who move around in exactly the same way as humans and can kill the person they're in a room with. They don't have a chat and don't know each other's identity initially but will recognize each other when they meet. A single dopp can overpower a single person; two dopps can overpower three people. There are modifiers to this - i.e. someone may reveal the attackers while he's being killed or someone may be entirely unable to defend himself.
5. Some rooms contain food. Each food source can only be used by a given player once. It gives them nutrition enough for 5 turns, then they become wounded and can last three more turns before dying. If they're already wounded when eating food, they can last 5 turns before dying.
6. Some rooms contain traps. They consist of teleports, spikes-outta-floor, silencers, what have you, though I can guarantee there aren't going to be any insta-kill ones.
7. There is a high emphasis placed on the act of speaking - i.e. you can hide in a closet and someone who's in the room will only hear you if you speak, there are people who can identify people in the adjacent rooms if they speak and so forth.
8. There is no 'official' notification whenever someone dies. You will hear a scream (that may be modified by outside factors) and may find a corpse later, and that's it. No roleflips for you.
9. There is a 'wound' system. Whenever someone triggers a certain kind of traps, get affected by someone's role (the only truly insta-kill ability in the game is dopps' kill against a defenseless person), get weakened by hunger and so forth. If you're wounded, you will only be able to move once every two turns and anything that would wound you again kills you. Wounds may be healed over time, by certain rooms or by certain roles.
10. You will get a description of people's appearance, which may hint at what roles they might possess. No examples here.

And that's pretty much it. Join up. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:35:19 am by Dariush »

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: XenoZooMafia (interest check and sign-ups)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:09:12 am »

This is, what, the third one?

Please see sig. Then pick one and abandon others. Or be mocked.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:11:21 am »

...Which sig?

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:14:20 am »

Thanks for punching me in the face.

Last chance before being mocked....

No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:26:40 am »

I'm afraid you misspelled the word 'in'.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:36:47 am »

Several Questions, but one outstanding one.

How does the town win? How does this reflect Mafia (by verbal warfare), and lynching seems like a trap chance//dopp meeting.

The lynching, connected to the act of speaking. By the 7th number, we can't actually 'speak' with everyone else like in a normal Mafia game, or...by speak, you mean PM?

Nextly, dopps have the ability to kill multiple people, aye? Say if they paired up, and met a single human in a room. Can they kill and silence him so nobody will know....and the like. They also have the chance to not kill anyone at all, and then just yell out various names of other players to implicate them.

There are no roleflips. You can only know death by sound, or perhaps the other natural senses.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:54:54 am »

How does the town win? How does this reflect Mafia (by verbal warfare), and lynching seems like a trap chance//dopp meeting.
By getting both dopps lynched/killed in some other way.
The lynching, connected to the act of speaking. By the 7th number, we can't actually 'speak' with everyone else like in a normal Mafia game, or...by speak, you mean PM?
Everyone can speak with everyone. You've got intercoms for that.
Nextly, dopps have the ability to kill multiple people, aye? Say if they paired up, and met a single human in a room. Can they kill and silence him so nobody will know....and the like. They also have the chance to not kill anyone at all, and then just yell out various names of other players to implicate them.
Moreover, even a single dopp can kill a single human. Yelling wouldn't work since they would be... too alive to pass as the dopps' target. When I said about yelling before death, I meant that there may be a specific role that can do this.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:57:03 pm »

I see this idea pop up like twice a year. It's needlessly complicated. Easy thing to do is to have a buddy system where each person shares a room with another person.

Even barring the holes and boring stuff, it's just not a fun game to play or watch. I feel like it has nothing to do with mafia. It's more like a board game. Basically... why would we want to play it?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:12 am »

It has everything to do with mafia. Day part is basically the same, with the addition of hammers, while night part simply restricts interactions between players and adds random events.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:21:19 am »

The NK depends on if a person is with another person in-game.

We have 36 rooms.

And we don't know what roles exist other than the fact that there are 2 factions - human and dopp.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 09:27:57 am »

It has everything to do with mafia. Day part is basically the same, with the addition of hammers, while night part simply restricts interactions between players and adds random events.
It's a really big restriction. If the restriction were fun, it'd be different, but it just seems there to be a nuisance.