Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 136628 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: Are You Fucking Kidding Me?
« Reply #855 on: October 01, 2013, 01:03:07 am »

Curiosity's mission is completely on hold until Congress gets its shit together. The RTG, of course, does not care about what Congress is doing and will continue its steady decay as Curiosity is able to do nothing with the ever-diminishing power it generates.

Allow me to take this moment to tell the Tea Party that they are supreme jackasses.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:13 am »

Curiosity's mission is completely on hold until Congress gets its shit together. The RTG, of course, does not care about what Congress is doing and will continue its steady decay as Curiosity is able to do nothing with the ever-diminishing power it generates.

Allow me to take this moment to tell the Tea Party that they are supreme jackasses.
*clap* *clap* *clap*
Good job, Congress. You just fucked science.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #857 on: October 01, 2013, 01:10:11 am »

*clap* *clap* *clap*
This really shouldn't be surprising.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 01, 2013, 01:10:46 am »

*clap* *clap* *clap*
This really shouldn't be surprising.
That's the sad part; it isn't.
Sig! Onol

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 01, 2013, 03:00:24 am »

Congress!
"Because fuck you too, that's why"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: WATER
« Reply #860 on: October 01, 2013, 03:02:41 am »

See, this is what I'm talking about. You all are falling for the same fucking trap that is going to ruin one of the best things we have ever done. The second you militarize space, our age of international scientific cooperation in that field is done. It will return to the age-old question of "how can we most efficiently kill our enemies today"? No more humanistic research for the good of our future, unless it happens to coincide with military goals.

And it is our future. It is too valuable to hand over to the domain of killing each other.
Also this. I agree with this. I don't want the final frontier to be killing each other. We've already done that.
Sig! Onol

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 01, 2013, 06:55:29 am »

On a side note, Curiosity is not the most troubled NASA project. In fact, it's very likely that the Nuclear RTG will be the longest surviving part of the mission. You'd have to be quite lucky to run into major energy troubles with those.

Many of the space telescopes and observation satellites run on liquid Nitrogen/Helium for cooling, which is now slowly evaporating while the telescopes idle. A few of them, like Hubble, are still making imagery, and others are joint projects with other agencies and are now run by them, but it's still bad.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #862 on: October 01, 2013, 07:48:55 am »

Nuclear bomb, WW2 stuff

This is actually a special scenario. This was not just "Can we have some money to make some bombs that we can only use once but cost a lot but basically wipe out cities?"
This was "Okay, we know that our enemy already knows about this, and we know that they are working on it. We need to complete it before them, if only to hold it over their heads and force them to surrender before they do the same to us."
"Our enemy" being Germany since Japan was out of the loop. Vast amounts of time, effort and resources were spent in the information, espionage and special operations part of the war to stop Germany from producing nuclear weapons and spreading misinformation about the best way to produce the material needed to make the bombs. The monetary cost of developing the weapons was pretty much a non-issue; if we didn't spend the money trying to make it as quickly as possible, we lost. Now, with historical information and hindsight available, this wasn't really the case as our other operations and Hitler's reluctance to rely on "Jewish Science" proved sufficient to show that we were safely in the lead. However, hindsight also shows that it was really, really close to Germany figuring it all out and beating us in the race.

The equivalent for space would be like someone pointing out, "Hey, I figured this thing out! We could make the Death Star laser with this!" and everyone going "Yeah, we just have to figure out which way is the best to make that stuff you found!" while everyone is at war. It's not a question of "Is this cost effective?", it's a matter of "If we don't finish this R&D first we lose and are potentially all killed."
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 01, 2013, 09:06:05 am »

Can we just nuke washington now?
Even STiD's asshole federation admiralty wasnt assholish enough to order the enterprise's immediate shutdown because they failed to stop bickering over budget in due time.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:11 am »

On a side note, ESA is being quite creative with their potential Mars Rover. After the robotic snake comes the rocket powered hopping bot.

Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 01, 2013, 10:01:53 am »

See, this is why we really need to weaponize space: kinetic strikes on the Capitol building.  :P

And now we're all on another watchlist.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 01, 2013, 10:45:36 am »

I think anyone who's been on these forums for more than a few days is on so many, one more won't make much difference. ;D
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:55 am »

I think anyone who's been on these forums for more than a few days is on so many, one more won't make much difference. ;D

LOL. Like you need to actually do anything to be on the NSA espionage list.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 01, 2013, 11:59:13 am »

Nuclear bomb, WW2 stuff
-snip-
  Even if they had gotten it first I doubt very much a bigger, more expensive bomb would have been enough to save the nazis.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »

Nuclear bomb, WW2 stuff
-snip-
  Even if they had gotten it first I doubt very much a bigger, more expensive bomb would have been enough to save the nazis.
It would've been much worse. Nazi's launch the Bomb, Nuke London. Allied forces react with WMD's of their own. Namely, Anthrax, poison gas and other bio chemical weaponry. Germans, or what's little is left, also react with remaining nuclear warheads, and bio chemical weaponry. Significant parts of Europe would be unlivable to this day.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 67