Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 67

Author Topic: Curiosity Mission: Shutting Down 2016  (Read 136709 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: NASA covers up proof of alien civilization on Mars
« Reply #705 on: December 02, 2012, 07:36:46 am »

I searched this thread for "plastic" - didn't find it:

http://science.slashdot.org/story/12/11/29/2331246/nasa-curiosity-has-found-plastic-on-mars

"Last week Curiosity was able to use its SAM (Sample Analysis at Mars) device to confirm the discovery. A robotic arm with a complex system of Spectral Analysis devices was able to vaporize and identify gasses from the sample, concluding that it is in fact plastic. How plastic formed or ended up on the Martian surface is quite an exciting mystery that sparks many questions. The type of plastic sampled as we know so far can only be formed using petrochemicals, meaning not only that there could possibly be a source of oil on the Red Planet, but that somehow it got turned into plastic. Even more interesting is that oil or petrochemicals used to create this type of plastic are only known to come from ancient fossilized organic materials, such as zooplankton and algae, which geochemical processes convert into oil pointing to the earthshaking evidence that there was once life on mars. 'Right now we have multiple working hypotheses, and each hypothesis makes certain predictions about things like what the spherules are made of and how they are distributed,' said Curiosity's principal investigator, Steve Squyres, of Cornell University. 'Our job as we explore Matijevic Hill in the months ahead will be to make the observations that will let us test all the hypotheses carefully, and find the one that best fits the observations.'"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 02, 2012, 07:38:35 am »

Bet you 20 dollars Curiosity actually vapourized part of itself, or from one of the many crashed rovers/sattelites.

If it's true,  then whoa...

Edit: It's a hoax. Even your link admits it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 02, 2012, 07:41:03 am »

Oops, i read it when it first appeared, didn't have the "update" bit about it being a hoax back then.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:11 am »

Even then, as I had posted before, Curiousity is not capable of dirctly detecting plastics, and is only able to detect the hydrocarbons from which it is formed. You would have a hard time saying that a particular bundle of hydrcarbons in particular quantities/concentrations came from a plastic ahead of any other jumble of organic molecules.
This is a blank sig.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 02, 2012, 08:44:37 am »

I did a thread search for "plastic" before I posted, nothing came up, and I don't have time to go back and digest the entire thread before I posted. It's not practical to go back and read ~28 pages of posts before posting anything new.

I have slashdot feeding straight into my email when it's new, that's where I read the story a few days ago, before it was debunked, and I only saw this thread today, and thought it might be interesting.

EDIT: I just did a search for "hydrocarbon" and got zero hits, but "hydrocarbons" got a couple (neither of them written by you though :/) The search feature of this forum sucks. nope nothing (relevant) with the term "plastics" either. If you did mention it, it didn't reference plastic(s) or hydrocarbon(s) directly.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:54:45 am by Reelya »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:12 am »

My previous posts referred to how curiosity detects the building blocks of organics (C, N, H, O) rather than the molecules themselves, during an argument about detecting life directly or fossils. Sorry for any confusion or time wasting.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 02, 2012, 12:50:29 pm »

No one is afraid they'll crash that asteroid in Earth? Or the weapon potential of controlling a huge rock above our heads?
At least at this stage, it is unlikely that they will be retrieving an asteroid that could make it through the atmosphere. You need a rather large rock to get to Earth's surface.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 03, 2012, 01:07:41 am »

No one is afraid they'll crash that asteroid in Earth? Or the weapon potential of controlling a huge rock above our heads?
At least at this stage, it is unlikely that they will be retrieving an asteroid that could make it through the atmosphere. You need a rather large rock to get to Earth's surface.
And even then, it might not be capable of doing much damage.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Curiosity Mission: NASA distracts everyone from Mercury water and organics.
« Reply #714 on: December 03, 2012, 01:27:55 am »

Yeah, but we already knew that (the picture is from a previous rover, IIRC).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31:16 am »

That's not bigfoot, that's the first time traveler, before they worked out all the bugs.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 03, 2012, 02:22:53 am »

Okay seriously, what is that? Damned if it doesn't look like a statue or petrified victim.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 03, 2012, 02:31:24 am »

Please. It's just one of the people who was setting up the fake Mars landscape. They just didn't leave the set fast enough.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 03, 2012, 02:38:52 am »

That's wind erosion. It makes cool stuff on earth too! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolian_processes
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
On Mars, you would get even better wind erosion, since it is much more dry, windy, and the wind carries a large amount of sand and dust.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #719 on: December 03, 2012, 02:40:46 am »

Therefore wind erosion is bigfoot.

The more you know.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 67