Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Farming in all biomes.  (Read 7248 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Farming in all biomens.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 12:12:42 pm »

And what about not exactly a workshop, or a building, but a new tile attribute, like muddied, rough and smooth attributes. What I mean, is that I designate an area (like in mining), an the dwarves will perform some kind of work on that area, and the end result will be that all of those tiles in that area will receive a suffix like this:
You think Toady would add such a new tile attribute? No attributes can be added via modding. (We'd have stuff like "acid bath floor" and "electric shock floor" if we could add such. A swimming-pool of syndrome-inducing milk.. hmm.. might be doable.)

Just a crazy idea - the reaction produces vapor with syndrome that makes farmer lay eggs. Then he occupies nest and lays "egg" plant that then is to be hatched till it transforms into mature plant.
Highly unlikely that a citizen would occupy a nest. Also very doubtlful to hatch an egg into a plant.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:16:07 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 04:12:39 pm »

And what about not exactly a workshop, or a building, but a new tile attribute, like muddied, rough and smooth attributes. What I mean, is that I designate an area (like in mining), an the dwarves will perform some kind of work on that area, and the end result will be that all of those tiles in that area will receive a suffix like this:
You think Toady would add such a new tile attribute? No attributes can be added via modding. (We'd have stuff like "acid bath floor" and "electric shock floor" if we could add such. A swimming-pool of syndrome-inducing milk.. hmm.. might be doable.)

So beside the [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN] method, is there anything what you can think about, or any kind of mod, that is closest to what I have described?
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »

Nope, your only two options are seeing if adding the BIOME tag works, or making a green house workshop like mentioned.

No way to change tile attributes, or allow farming in any other way.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:31 pm »

And is there no way to "transform" one biome into another in-game?

For example if I build the farm of the small shore it can "see" my seeds. And if I use the console to place obsidian floor to extend the shore, these new tiles will support seeds (so I suppose, the connection between the obsidian floors and the land, transformed the former ocean biome tag into another which support farming).

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »

And is there no way to "transform" one biome into another in-game?

For example if I build the farm of the small shore it can "see" my seeds. And if I use the console to place obsidian floor to extend the shore, these new tiles will support seeds (so I suppose, the connection between the obsidian floors and the land, transformed the former ocean biome tag into another which support farming).
Not really. Modding mostly deals with changing the content of the game (new creatures, weapons, plants, etc.) where what you are looking for is more the domain of memory editing utilities (such as DFHack). So other then enabling the ocean biome on whatever plants you want to grow, modding can't really help you in their realm that much. You might be able to use the console and whatnot to get much more done, but that would be up to the people who manage the various utilities to figure out.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 05:47:52 pm »

Hmm.

Here would be my suggestion for a green-house to help with the time issue:

1) Make the reaction take a bulk lot of seeds. That slows down the timing considerably. So, say, you need 10 seeds to do the reaction.

2) Have the reaction produce a 'Seedling' for each seed.

3) Have a reaction to take 10 Seedlings to produce a Sprout, and another to get a 'Young Plant' and so on until the reaction takes a reasonable amount of time.

This is just off the top off my head. Not sure how much coding you'd need to get it to work. You might need specific reactions for each plant. I haven't worked with plants yet, so I don't know how finicky the system is with them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »

3) Have a reaction to take 10 Seedlings to produce a Sprout, and another to get a 'Young Plant' and so on until the reaction takes a reasonable amount of time.

This is just off the top off my head. Not sure how much coding you'd need to get it to work. You might need specific reactions for each plant. I haven't worked with plants yet, so I don't know how finicky the system is with them.
You would need individual reactions for each plant, so that would be a bit of a drawback. However if you put the [AUTOMATIC] token on all of the reactions except for the first seed->sprout one then your dwarves will automatically queue up all of the later reactions in turn after you make the sprouts, cutting a lot of the micromanagement out of the job.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming in all biomes.
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 06:45:31 pm »

I have tried this [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN], but it wouldn't work.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »

I have tried this [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN], but it wouldn't work.
I just tried and it worked, before and after gen.
You did put [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN] under/after the [PLANT:X] token right? If so it should work... unless you put it in the wrong raws. The "raw/objects" folder you see when you look at the dwarf fortress folder is what is put into new worlds you generate, not already generated worlds. The "data/save/regionX/raw/objects" folder(s) holds the raws for the already generated worlds. If you wanted to do it in a current world you need to edit those raws.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:47 pm »

The best you could do is a workshop that turns seeds into plants, but as mentioned, I don't think there's anyway to make it work like a farm so you'd produce food very, very quickly.

Maybe if you used DFHack or something to put dirt tiles on constructed floors?
Just a crazy idea - the reaction produces vapor with syndrome that makes farmer lay eggs. Then he occupies nest and lays "egg" plant that then is to be hatched till it transforms into mature plant.
It could turn the farmer into a creature that lays plants AS eggs, but A. you can't have eggs "hatch" into items, B. there's no way to get the farmer to actually go and lay the eggs, and C. IIRC, transformations on citizens tend to cause interesting issues.

You would need individual reactions for each plant, so that would be a bit of a drawback. However if you put the [AUTOMATIC] token on all of the reactions except for the first seed->sprout one then your dwarves will automatically queue up all of the later reactions in turn after you make the sprouts, cutting a lot of the micromanagement out of the job.
You could do something like a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT on the seed materials--the seeds would make a "sprout" of the plant material specified with the MRP, and then go from there.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:53:32 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »

LAYS_UNUSAL_EGGS

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »

LAYS_UNUSAL_EGGS
That looks like a Putnam quote...Oh no, Hugo don't pick up the one-line reply habits!
'ere the Chias get hungry...

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 11:34:19 am »

Somebody already told me that this is because some biomes don't support seeds. I pointed out that not being able to farm on constructed floors over oceans is unrealistic.
if it's got mud on it, then it's unrealistic.

however, if you meant without mud, have you tried growing stuff on solid, bare concrete?

I meant with mud.

However even the concrete example isn't far fetched.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:37 am »

That Tree is not a tree, It a Ninja in Stealth.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 02:04:30 pm »

So basically farming is possible anywhere, since even after a year, natural erosion and microbes enable the formation of a thin soil layer. I have seen plants growing on grinded glass.

In the light of soild formation, we should be able to plant crops on muddy constructed tiles. And not the biome types should restrict farming, but temperature. That mean we should be able to farm in mountain biomes with the right conditions, since the transition from lifeless peaks to the feet of the mountains is seamless. For instance on the border of another biome, it is pretty much the same.

Pages: 1 [2] 3