Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Farming in all biomes.  (Read 7233 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
Farming in all biomes.
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:18:51 pm »

I had the sudden idea of building a fort over the ocean with minimal land. However I realized my farms built on constructed floors over the ocean, don't "see" any seeds.

1. How could I do it or mod it, to enable crops over oceans or mountains.

2. Is it possible to restrict such enabled feature, to only support crops if I use desalinized water (to not make it unrealistic by using salt water for irrigation).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:05:40 pm by towerdude »
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: Farming in all biomens.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:05:32 pm »

Several people including myself have toyed around with the idea of a greenhouse-type workshop. It's hard to balance since each reaction takes very little time to produce so converting seeds to plants can happen very quickly. Also you can add extra biome tags to the plants in the plant_standard.txt file. I'm not sure how well this will work since I'm not sure if farms built on constructed floors will work in any biome.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:11:54 am »

Several people including myself have toyed around with the idea of a greenhouse-type workshop. It's hard to balance since each reaction takes very little time to produce so converting seeds to plants can happen very quickly. Also you can add extra biome tags to the plants in the plant_standard.txt file. I'm not sure how well this will work since I'm not sure if farms built on constructed floors will work in any biome.

Thanks I will try that. A greenhouse could have been something like a kennel, large area building, and you can't use it directly, but it enables farms built under it (if muddy tile present) to see the seeds.

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:40:06 am »

I dont think you can do that without changing game code.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:52:50 am »

None of the things you're talking about are possible with RAW editing.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »

The best you could do is a workshop that turns seeds into plants, but as mentioned, I don't think there's anyway to make it work like a farm so you'd produce food very, very quickly.

Maybe if you used DFHack or something to put dirt tiles on constructed floors?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:16:44 pm »

Have you tried using pumps to make your constructed floors wet (possibly spreading mud)?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:31:45 pm »

Thanks all the replie guys, but I already have the farms, irrigation is not the problem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The brown are the muddy tiles, the purple are the regulars.

Somebody already told me that this is because some biomes don't support seeds. I pointed out that not being able to farm on constructed floors over oceans is unrealistic. He also said that it doesn't matter if I use desalinized water or salt water for irrigation. And said I should ask the modders for help.

So if anybody can alter farming, and make it possible for the farm to "see" my available seeds. It would also be great to include a prequisite, that it needs desalinized water for irrigation (to not make it unrealistic, since salt actually kill plants).

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:03:18 pm »

Try adding [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN] to whatever plants you want to grow in your saves raws (they're in plant_standard). Not sure if that'll work (probably will) but it's worth a shot.

But yeah, platform farming works. I once made a giant strawberry farming complex by digging a pit, putting down floors and applying water to make mud (it'll work on any type of floor, even wood).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:29:40 pm »

Hm...

For a greenhouse workshop, you could make a tool (seed packet?), and make it so that a reaction turns a seed (item) into a seed packet. Then, a reaction could be made that produces produce ~1% of the time and a new seed packet ~99% of the time. Then, it would take an average (I assume--I haven't crunched the numbers) of around 100 reactions to turn a seed into a plant.
...Or, take out the seed packet. Seeds can be made in reactions, right?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:58:06 am »

Hm...

For a greenhouse workshop, you could make a tool (seed packet?), and make it so that a reaction turns a seed (item) into a seed packet. Then, a reaction could be made that produces produce ~1% of the time and a new seed packet ~99% of the time. Then, it would take an average (I assume--I haven't crunched the numbers) of around 100 reactions to turn a seed into a plant.
...Or, take out the seed packet. Seeds can be made in reactions, right?
This isn't really a perfect solution. It's not possible to link the production of multiple products, so with those numbers, 98.01% of the time you'd get only a new seed packet, .01% of the time you'd get only a produce, .99% of the time you'd get both a seed packet and a produce, and .99% of the time you'd lose your seed packet for nothing.

Also, you'd have a (just over) 50% chance of having gotten a unit of produce after running the reaction 69 times. It's due to one of those somewhat-unintuitive things about probabilities and math; humans don't think probabilistically well. Running a 1% reaction 100 times would give you the product around 63.4% of the time (the formula would be 1-((1-x)^y), where x is the chance of getting the desired product in decimal form and y is the number of times the reaction is run).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:43 am »

I was thinking about a subsidiary building. A greenhouse wich is not a workshop. It could work two ways:

1. You just build 4 "walls" of it (which are fully passable like a depot), the area inside of these four walls permits any farm, to bypass the biome restriction (needless to say in order to build a farm you need a muddy tile).

2. A separate 5x5 building, which enables the farm built "under" it to bypass the bioe restriction.

I am unfamiliar with the game code, so I don't know how hard is to do this. But probably the second one is not possible, since it would mean, you could construct a building on a building. I also don't know if it is possible, do a make a building type that "sees" if it makes up a closed space, and tell the game, that specific closed space is free from biome restrictions.

A greenhouse would need glass and metal to build.

[BIOME:ANY_OCEAN] I could try this, but I like the greenhouse idea better (if it is possible).

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 06:20:27 am »

I was thinking about a subsidiary building. A greenhouse wich is not a workshop. It could work two ways:

1. You just build 4 "walls" of it (which are fully passable like a depot), the area inside of these four walls permits any farm, to bypass the biome restriction (needless to say in order to build a farm you need a muddy tile).

2. A separate 5x5 building, which enables the farm built "under" it to bypass the bioe restriction.

I am unfamiliar with the game code, so I don't know how hard is to do this. But probably the second one is not possible, since it would mean, you could construct a building on a building. I also don't know if it is possible, do a make a building type that "sees" if it makes up a closed space, and tell the game, that specific closed space is free from biome restrictions.

[BIOME:ANY_OCEAN] I could try this, but I like the greenhouse idea better (if it is possible).

1 is not possible
5 is not possible
The only "greenhouse" you could create would be the equivalent of a craftdwarf workshop, with an input of seed and an output of plant. Currently in the raws there is no way for a workshop to be created that can interact with things around it.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 08:00:14 am »

1 is not possible
5 is not possible
The only "greenhouse" you could create would be the equivalent of a craftdwarf workshop, with an input of seed and an output of plant. Currently in the raws there is no way for a workshop to be created that can interact with things around it.

And what about not exactly a workshop, or a building, but a new tile attribute, like muddied, rough and smooth attributes. What I mean, is that I designate an area (like in mining), an the dwarves will perform some kind of work on that area, and the end result will be that all of those tiles in that area will receive a suffix like this:

Rutile floor (greenhouse)
Muddy rutile floor (greenhouse)

In turn this attribute enables the farm to use seeds in biomes, where normally they couldn't, it would work much like the muddy prequisite for farms, just in another aspect.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 08:17:36 am »

The best you could do is a workshop that turns seeds into plants, but as mentioned, I don't think there's anyway to make it work like a farm so you'd produce food very, very quickly.

Maybe if you used DFHack or something to put dirt tiles on constructed floors?
Just a crazy idea - the reaction produces vapor with syndrome that makes farmer lay eggs. Then he occupies nest and lays "egg" plant that then is to be hatched till it transforms into mature plant.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: [1] 2 3