Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best set of armour  (Read 17173 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best set of armour
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 06:25:32 pm »

My test extended as far as testing the uniform i posted above (my goto kit)

In arena, 10x professional armor user dwarves per side where one side has only the metal parts of above kit, other has full kit resulted in approx 8 survivors average on the layered team over 10 runs of the test.

The same test repeated with competant armor user skill actually appeared to yield even better results for the layered squad with 9-10 survivors a round.  My theory here is that competant is not enough to gain decent protection from the metal, but the layered squad are benefitting from the leather.

Thes tests however were performed in 0.31.25, not 0.34 release arc.  I also made no test of things like multiple mail shirts as I refuse to use these uniforms
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:27:52 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:41:40 pm »

You might also consider "equipment mismatches". If you give them too many pieces of armor, they might complain that it mismatches and not wear it all.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 11:35:11 pm »

Another question: What is the best armor suit for haulers? The problem is that when they are collecting goblinate, a kobold thief may cut off a limb with his large iron dagger. But haulers should run fast and never train their armor skill. So what suit fits them?

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:36 pm »

Another question: What is the best armor suit for haulers? The problem is that when they are collecting goblinate, a kobold thief may cut off a limb with his large iron dagger. But haulers should run fast and never train their armor skill. So what suit fits them?

6 cloaks, 3 robes, 6 hoods, a cap. It has a fairly good chance of turning aside slashing attacks, and spearpoints get stuck in the layers.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

donfuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 02:01:37 am »

you can (and should) stack armor. so first get them dressed up in leather: Armor, cap, leggings, gloves, shoes. Then check if your whole squad is equipped, if yes, add steel to the uniforms: mail shirt, helm, greaves, gauntlet, high boot. if all are equipped, add steel breastplate and a leather hood. Later exchange steel with blue sugar.

Your mighty warriors will only fall to deadly blood, deadly dust, netspitters etc. - so pretty much alot still, but you can send a legendary squad of 10 of these in the midst of a goblin siege and they will down it in no time. cheers
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:03:11 am by donfuan »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 10:34:12 am »

Metal gauntlets and high boots, perhaps. They're light and will protect the small limbs that can be easily taken off by a dagger swipe. A leather or wooden shield would also be good, and it doesn't affect their hauling.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:04 am »

Just did some arena tests. This is in 34.11.

* 5 each of hammer, sword, mace, and axedwarves on each side, making a 20v20 battle. All dwarves were Adept in relevant skills.
* Side #1 had a full set of iron armor, but no cloth/leather gear.
* Side #2 had ONE extra leather layer and ONE mail shirt.
* Ran the test 3 times.

First test, 8 survivors on side #2
Second test and third test, 10 survivors on side #2.

Now, I am laid off so I have nothing better to do than one more test to see if it's worthwhile to go completely overkill on the layers. I did some playing around to put on as much gear as I could without anything coming off. I know this is on the wiki, but here's what I came up with:

* 3 mail shirts can be equipped with a breastplate. I was unable to further add any shirts/tunics with this many mail shirts equipped.
* 8 hoods can be worn with a helmet. Helms/caps/masks cannot be combined in this version.
* 2 gauntlets, plus 2 gloves/mittens seems to be the max.
* 2 boots, plus 2 socks (NOT shoes) seems to be the max.
* 1 pair of greaves will make it impossible to put ANY leggings on. However, 2 pairs of trousers seems to be the max while wearing greaves.

So, for my arena test I made 50 dwarves (10 spear, 10 mace, 10 axe, 10 sword, 10 hammer) with a full iron set, plus 1 extra layer maximum.  Then, I made 50 dwarves on the opposing side with as much layering as possible. I know the difference isn't huge: 7 extra hoods, 1 extra trousers, 2 extra mail shirts compared to the initial "one-layer" dwarves.

I ran the test, and group #1 (LESS layering) was victorious with 17/50 survivors. I thought this was weird, so I ran another identical test, this time group #1 had 15 survivors.

Could be a fluke, I dunno.

TLDR: An extra layer gives you noticeable protection.  Adding more layers beyond that doesn't seem to help soldiers stay alive though I imagine it's useful for civilian "squads."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:22:55 pm by toomanysecrets »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:14 pm »

TLDR: An extra layer gives you noticeable protection.  Adding more layers beyond that doesn't seem to help soldiers stay alive though I imagine it's useful for civilian "squads."

Adding more layers beyond the first might give diminishing returns due to added weight and slower combat speed.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

For a simple "over" uniform, with light weight as a primary consideration:

- metal cap (these are light weight)
- 2x leather hoods
- 2x leather cloak
- 1x robe
- 1x leather armor or 1x metal mail shirt
- 1x metal leggings or 1x leather trouser
- metal high/low boots
- wood/bone buckler
- wood/bone crossbow
- quiver & ammo (defined automatically in the (f) ammunition screen)
- flask (but no backpack for food, configured in the supplies screen)

The metal leggings and metal mail shirt are wonderful for a reasonable set of protective garments.  I've had masons survive stuff being dropped on them from above due to the mail leggings/shirt, with nary a scratch.

Absolute minimal would be: cap, hood, cloak, mail shirt, leather trousers, leather boots, buckler, crossbow

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 07:02:10 pm »

Robes are highly recommended even for general civilian usage due to their 100% coverage of the entire body.

While its just a cloth robe, it can still greatly help out. Each and every layer of clothing is another chance to deflect or absorb the blow.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 07:30:14 pm »

Speaking of armoring civilians, I've been meaning to try that out.  I know that military uniforms conflict with miners, hunters and woodcutters, but is that only the weapon that causes problems?  Can you assign them an armor uniform without issue?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:51 pm »

You can't assign them an armour-only uniform, because the pick / axe / hunting gear is a uniform and overwrites any you would assign yourself. At least they wear something now instead of running around with only their pick to protect them, which makes a skilled miner a little less of a glass cannon than before.

Speaking of clothing, another advantage of armouring civilians is that armour doesn't rot and does contribute to clothing thoughts. Putting a dwarf in leather armour / leather leggings / leather boots covers the need for upper body / lower body / foot covering, and essentially removes them from the fortress as far as clothing needs are concerned. They'll still claim clothes as normal, but since they're not wearing them there won't be so many discarded or hoarded slightly-worn items lying around.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 09:37:15 am »

Noob question here: by "equip civilians" you mean creating peaceful squad(s) (soldiers you never send to fight, nor train) and set up armor as for regular squads?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 10:09:30 am »

Speaking of clothing, another advantage of armouring civilians is that armour doesn't rot and does contribute to clothing thoughts. Putting a dwarf in leather armour / leather leggings / leather boots covers the need for upper body / lower body / foot covering, and essentially removes them from the fortress as far as clothing needs are concerned.

Oh, good idea!  Do leather gloves not count as armor?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 11:46:30 am »

They don't, but you can make gauntlets from bone or excess metal. Dwarves don't get nudity thoughts from anything other than top/bottom/foot covering, but gauntlets are still good for handling things with dangerous coatings. ...I think, anyway. I'm not sure any more what happens with decontamination baths, and I've taken to handling FBs by squashing them like bugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3