Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happened to the vampires?  (Read 2224 times)

eusebius8806

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happened to the vampires?
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:09:00 am »

When the vampire update came out I was consistently getting 2-3 vampires per fortress. However, I am currently running v. .10 and I have not dealt with a vampire in fortress mode at all. I have created three different worlds and numerous forts and have yet to see a vampire.

To answer the obvious question, I have generated worlds at between 50 and 150 years.

Are other people not seeing vampires?
A few miles from here/ a frost-stiffened wood waits and keeps watch/ above a mere; the overhanging bank/ is a maze of tree-roots mirrored in its surface./ At night there, something uncanny happens:/the water burns. And the mere bottom
has never been sounded by the sons of men./On its bank, the heather-stepper halts:/the hart in flight from pursuing hounds/will turn to face them with/firm-set horns/and die in the wood rather than dive/beneath its surface./That is no good place.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the vampires?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:11:32 am »

Check the Legends. Also, I think I had a 100< year old world and I've found through legends that there were 3 or 4 vampires only and they had just been cursed. So it is possible they haven't spread yet.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:56 am »

Toady made vampires less abundant in a recent update, after people would have 10% of their population be vampires. You should still get them occasionally though.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:34:33 pm »

I still get them on occasion.  One ended a promising fort with a tantrum spiral brought on by the death of an Original 7 dwarf :(.  I still wonder if I'll see her pop up again in a future migration wave.  I should've written the name down, but then again, she might have assumed a new identity...

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:03 pm »

Havent got one yet. I find human vampires to be very plentiful though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:19:25 pm »

I'm pretty much guaranteed 1-2 vampires every fort.

They're quite easy to find out. If you get an announcement that a dwarf has been found drained of blood, pause the game. Inspect every dwarf.

Is there a dwarf who has been a past member of an unusually large number of civilizations? Tag him with a custom profession name of "Vampire."

Then build a small room. Make a burrow in the room. Assign the vampire to the burrow.

Lock the door behind them.

Check back in 4-5 months. If he's still alive, then he's definitely a vampire. Construct a wall outside of the door to seal him off an entomb him forever.

eusebius8806

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:55:21 pm »

I never get any drained of blood announcements anymore.

Best vampire immigrant ever was my own adventurer/necromancer/vampire. He wiped out my fortress in seconds.
A few miles from here/ a frost-stiffened wood waits and keeps watch/ above a mere; the overhanging bank/ is a maze of tree-roots mirrored in its surface./ At night there, something uncanny happens:/the water burns. And the mere bottom
has never been sounded by the sons of men./On its bank, the heather-stepper halts:/the hart in flight from pursuing hounds/will turn to face them with/firm-set horns/and die in the wood rather than dive/beneath its surface./That is no good place.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:00:59 pm »

Check back in 4-5 months. If he's still alive, then he's definitely a vampire.

I see you favour the Witchfinder General approach. :)

When Vampires were added to the game, I believe the chance that a random immigrant would be a vampire was set to be artificially high, simply so that we could all play with this new feature, find out its pros and cons, find out if there were any gamebreaking implications and so on. Now the chance has been brought down to a lower level, so you can play several forts in a row without ever encountering a vampire, especially if you play short worldgens. Then you get fed up of checking every immigrant's details, making it possible for a vampire to infiltrate your fort and surprise you.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »

They're quite easy to find out. If you get an announcement that a dwarf has been found drained of blood, pause the game. Inspect every dwarf.

I prefer to find them before they kill someone.  Individuals in small migrant waves are checked one by one, but large waves are given the thirst test.  I use dwarf therapist to label all new dwarves with the custom profession of migrant, then assign all migrants to a military squad.  I then give a station order and relieve dwarves of duty as they get thirsty.  The last ones left without a thirst bar are checked over, then released if all looks to be in order.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »

i genned two worlds with 150 year history and none had a dwarf vampire , but it had a lot of human vampires .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »

Definitely seeing way more vamps while playing inn a Human fort than inn a Dwarven one , at least early on.
It seems though there are more vampires once you hit around year 400-500.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:42 pm »

If it's such an issue...

1. Gen a new world with a good-length history.
2. Find a good spot and embark there.
3. Make a well.
4. Abandon.
5. Start an adventurer.
6. Have the adventurer find a vampire. Can't help you here, except to look in the capital.
7. Hit the vampire until it bleeds.
8. Put some vampire blood into a barrel or bag or something.
9. RUN!!! Everyone now wants to kill you, and their little dogs too! Sneaking helps.
10. Go to the abandoned fort.
11. Erm, when I said "and their little dogs too," you know I meant that their dogs would be killing you, and not that they would be killing their dogs, right?
12. Dump some blood into the water supply, and maybe some other places.
13. Give into starvation.
14. Reclaim.
15. Lock an appropriate dwarf in with the vampire-bloodied well.
16. Enjoy your new vampire! And, of course, the gear from your adventurer and the first expedition, but you've likely done that by now.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Willadie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:19:51 am »

My most recent encounter with a vampire (No screenies, sorry) happened looking on my unit list to see what my clothier (I think) was doing. Fun fact, while a vampire is draining blood either his creature tag thingy (As in "BLAH BLAH Dragon") is set at "VAMPIRE". Anyways I set the bed to be deconstructed ASAP. The victim had severe blood loss, and I had a new sentry without spending an hour looking for him. wentbetterthenexpected.txt

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 02:02:27 am »

Another good way of finding vampires, look in your stocks for bone jewellery, zoom to location. If you find a dude with a lot of bone jewellery it's usually a good starting place for finding a vamp. 

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 05:45:10 am »

I have been running into a similar lack of test subjects immortal slaves vampires.  I have 10 custom vampire curses all set to only affect dwarves and after a 500 year history I get 6, maybe 7 vamps per civ.  I realize having an endless horde of bloodsuckers was less than ideal, but I have gotten more monarchs than vampires since the change. 
Speaking of which, if you really, really want an absolute sure way to get a vampire to play with press p after world gen and look at the leaders list.  If you have a king/queen who has ruled for more than 200 years, you have an importable vampire.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".