Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: taming cave dragons?  (Read 4900 times)

siri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
taming cave dragons?
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:07:04 am »

i've been looking through some threads about taming, but i'm still not sure about this: captured siege mounts can not be tamed/are not meant to be tamed? i captured 5 cave dragons that came with a siege and they don't show up in the animal menu. the other captured mounts (mainly cave crocodiles) do, but disappear as soon as an animal trainer tames them. i found this listed as a bug. so what do i do with those cave dragons?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: taming cave dragons?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:15:00 am »

Most useful uses: 1. butcher them to get valuable meat and bones or 2. release them on non-goblin attackers. Siege mounts seem to be always hostile, even if you "tame" them.

siri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:33:30 am »

thanks for the reply. but if i assign them to be butchered, won't my butcher release them from their cages and try to drag them to the butcher's shop? what the heck... i will just try it.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:57:32 am »

Oh, right. Some large creature MAY escape that way, but I don't know if that applies to cave dragons. Construct their cages near your butcher's shop to be safe.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:53 am »

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:33:42 am »

Hey, I actually can. I tamed a dragon that killed one of my woodcutters. I released it and it's not burning down my fort. It's been guarding my gates for one season already.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:24 am »

(*) Animals that have killed/attacked civ members no longer attack when trained

Can anyone confirm this? Haven't tried it myself.
Supposedly, there are two distinct cases, and only one of them was fixed:
1. Wild animals (or megabeasts) that killed members of your fortress and became enemies of your civilization. The fix apparently covers these - it removes their "enemy" links and they become peaceful to your civ.
2. Siege mounts from enemy civilizations. The fix apparently does not cover these - rather than being explicit enemies of your civ, they are members of an enemy civilization and remain hostile.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

siri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:06 am »

here's a trick question: how do i assign the cave dragons for butchering if they do not show up in the animal screen? selecting one with v does not work while it's in a cage.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:23:29 am »

Well, you can lock it in a room lined with fortifications and kill it by shooting. Or melee it, if you're feeling lucky. Then it's corpse is available for butchering.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »

You need to tame animals to butcher them, anyways. It doesn't matter if they're still members of The Bugs of Murdering or whatever the goblin civ is, they'll still be dragged off. When a dwarf is draggin' a dragon, the dragon won't be draggin' along any kind of hostility--the dragged dragon will just docilely be dragged.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 11:24:10 am »

If you lock hostile captured beasties in a room will they mate and produce non hostile (though not tame) offspring?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:55:17 am »

I don't think so.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 12:12:27 pm »

Invading creatures will give birth to young that are listed as Hostile but are considered enemies by the invaders. I'm not sure what the allegiance of the map-born creatures is.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:55:48 pm »

wild creatures give birth too. It probably doesn't work if nest boxes are required though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.