Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evaporation in very hot climates.  (Read 3802 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evaporation in very hot climates.
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:50:37 am »

This is what the wiki says:

Evaporation occurs when water or magma is at a depth of 1/7. Simply having 2/7 standing water is enough to prevent evaporation.  ...

Murky pools are an exception. In hot or scorching environments a murky pool can evaporate even when it is completely full.

It doesn't seem to be accurate.  I've tested a dug (not constructed) pool of water in a scorching climate embark and it evaporates pretty quickly even if initially filled to 7/7.
()==[:::::::::::::>

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evaporation in very hot climates.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:53:50 am »

There are two different kinds of 'evaporation' in this game. The 'evaporation' that happens with 1/7 liquids in any temperature is hardcoded, probably to simulate, to some extent, ground absorption as well as evaporation.

Scorching climates actually boil water sometimes due to the heat, and that's probably why your dug pools are going away quickly.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:55:25 am »

Scorching climates actually boil water sometimes due to the heat, and that's probably why your dug pools are going away quickly.

Ouch. Surface temperatures in dwarf world can reach 100 deg Celsius?  Incidentally building a roof over the pool stopped the water disappearing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:05:22 am by ptb_ptb »

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:05:34 am »

They can go farther up and down from our normal temperatures (yes, there's even something below our current cero degree), so if the wiki says that scorching climates can go anywhere up from 10078 šU, expect things to get hot around 10180 šU, water boiling point.

Sorry for the pun.

In any case, try to do your dug pool underground.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 06:22:55 am »

Ouch. Surface temperatures in dwarf world can reach 100 deg Celsius?  Incidentally building a roof over the pool stopped the water disappearing.

Water evaporates slowly at room temperature. Although to answer your question... It can get hot. Very hot. Hot enough to vaporize Dwarves in the extreme.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 06:41:59 am »

Ouch. Surface temperatures in dwarf world can reach 100 deg Celsius?
Water evaporates slowly at room temperature.
Er, evaporate <> boil. (Apparently so in real life and Dwarf Fortress). That being the point of the earlier posts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 06:50:15 am »

Ouch. Surface temperatures in dwarf world can reach 100 deg Celsius?
Water evaporates slowly at room temperature.
Er, evaporate <> boil. (Apparently so in real life and Dwarf Fortress). That being the point of the earlier posts.
I think vaporizing counts too :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:59:35 am »

Water isn't boiling away in scorching environments - it's just rapidly evaporating via a mechanism distinct from that which causes 1/7 liquids to dry up. It can also happen in non-scorching environments during "dry seasons" when the grass also starts to turn yellow.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:54:48 am »

Water isn't boiling away in scorching environments - it's just rapidly evaporating via a mechanism distinct from that which causes 1/7 liquids to dry up.

OK. So it looks like the wiki needs editing again.  ^ ^;

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:40 pm »

Technically speaking, it is possible for standing water to actually boil away, but in that case it will actually turn into steam, and anything hot enough to do that will probably also set the grass on fire...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »

I remember the days when if it rained in a scorching biome everything outside would be cooked.

I also like the fact that things can be colder than absolute zero, although they often dont do much.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress