Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Crossbow Ammunition Testing.  (Read 10959 times)

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow Ammunition Testing.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2012, 08:12:40 am »

Another seemingly related question from the Q&A thread:
Does bolt quality level affect damage or accuracy? Or both? The only thing i found relating to that is a quote from Toady but it's all the way back from 40d.
Does anyone care to test this?

I'll try to throw in a few tests for this too, but no promises. I'm willing to guess in the very least that adventurers wielding bolts as melee weapons get the expected bonuses, so there's at least one reason to look for better bolts--even if it doesn't have to do with firing them XP.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2012, 04:01:28 pm »

Oh yeah guys, Did I mention in my test that one of the funniest things was that a adamantine bolt wielding dwarf would punture several skulls before being struck down.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:31 pm »

My only test with adamantine so far didn't kill anyone...granted, it was against adamantine armor, so that explains that. XD

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »

I fixed the obsidian sword problem by increasing shear yield, so it is the determining factor for edged attacks. Fracture and elasticity are used in the armor side calculations as far as I know.

Experience tells me that lead is heavy, so I'm going to mention it whenever we need a good reference to a heavy metal, despite the fact that I don't know what I am talking about and that gold is 1.7 times as dense as lead. Gold is only used to make small rings and coins, and lead is used to make weights, so I'll assume that lead is heavier.
To quote the top result of "gold vs lead" in Google:
Lead has a greater atomic mass than gold (196.97 VS 207.2) but yet, Gold is nearly twice as heavy as lead (19320 kg/cu.m VS 11340 kg/cu.m).
The person that posted that wanted to know why, and thread pointed out that its because of the density (which he listed) is higher for gold, despite lead having the higher atomic weight.  The difference is, basically, the crystaline structure of gold vs that of lead. This is the same as the difference between water and ice, where despite being chemically identical, ice is less dense than liquid water (technically, water is its densest at 1 degree C which is why the bottom of the pool is coldest; I have no idea why I have managed to remember that over the twenty-some years since I learned it in high school).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 11:34:35 pm »

Historicaly, bronze weapons were prefered over iron, because iron rusts, while most oxidation on bronze is superficial (Provided copper chlorides are not formed...) and bronze is stronger than wrought iron, and it is easier to get a good edge on it. Iron won out for several reasons, mostly due to supply (you can get iron easier) and advances in metalurgy (Forged Iron, and later, Steel) made iron a superior choice. Supplies of tin were also a determining factor: Casserite and other tin bearing minerals can be hard to get.

So yeah, the more you know.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2012, 02:31:10 am »

I fixed the obsidian sword problem by increasing shear yield, so it is the determining factor for edged attacks. Fracture and elasticity are used in the armor side calculations as far as I know.

Experience tells me that lead is heavy, so I'm going to mention it whenever we need a good reference to a heavy metal, despite the fact that I don't know what I am talking about and that gold is 1.7 times as dense as lead. Gold is only used to make small rings and coins, and lead is used to make weights, so I'll assume that lead is heavier.
To quote the top result of "gold vs lead" in Google:
Lead has a greater atomic mass than gold (196.97 VS 207.2) but yet, Gold is nearly twice as heavy as lead (19320 kg/cu.m VS 11340 kg/cu.m).
The person that posted that wanted to know why, and thread pointed out that its because of the density (which he listed) is higher for gold, despite lead having the higher atomic weight.  The difference is, basically, the crystaline structure of gold vs that of lead. This is the same as the difference between water and ice, where despite being chemically identical, ice is less dense than liquid water (technically, water is its densest at 1 degree C which is why the bottom of the pool is coldest; I have no idea why I have managed to remember that over the twenty-some years since I learned it in high school).

About water - me being a smart ass!

Plain water has its highest density at around 4°C not at 1°C, under the premise of standard pressure. The reason for the ice floating on top of the water has to do with electronegativity. The oxygen-atom has a higher electronegativity then the hydrogen-atoms, and is pulling all electrons toward itself. Therefor creating negative and a positive pols in each molecule. These poles interact (hydrogen bond), and result in a crystal structure called ice. One can see the crystal structure when looking at snowflakes closely. They are all different but have the base angle of always around 104,5° in common (which is the angle between the to hydrogen-atoms). The effect of the anomaly of water can be explained for when warmer the water molecules move (spin etc.) around fast enough, so that the forces hydrogen bonds are rather minor to the movement energies. But when the temperature drops below the 4°C the molecules start forming the crystal (in this case hexagonal) structures which use more Space than the water around 4°C...

Yet salt-water can have temperatures below 0°C and therefore is even denser....

I hope I got everything right and didn't forget some important stuff!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]