Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first tantrum spiral  (Read 980 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first tantrum spiral
« on: July 30, 2012, 07:46:05 pm »

I have a confession. Despite playing (on and off) since 40d, I've never lost a fort to Fun. Usually, I always quit out of boredom and go play adventure mode instead. Well, it finally happened. My current fort, "Deathfloors" had finally tasted true Fun. A siege arrived and I had to face them because a tantruming dwarf had destroyed the lever that shut the floodgates of the main entrance. A whole bunch of soldiers were killed and shit hit the fan. Soon after that, everyone had a flashing red arrow, dwarf were going insane, children were going berserk and beating their parents and everything was getting destroyed. The murders/executions of berserking dwarves was the first wave of death. After that, a whole bunch more died from dehydration due to being stark raving mad (or babies having their mothers die).
Now, my population of 200+ has been reduced to 50-something (most of them children). There is barely anything left of the military, all of the industries are gone, I'm struggling to bury everyone, there is junk everywhere, THE DINING HALL IS FULL OF DEAD BABIES and overall, its not a very fun (but very Fun) time we're having over here. The only luck is that a tantruming dwarf broke a trade depot while human merchants were in it, so I kinda ended up stealing all their stuff by accident. Hopefully, that should keep my food supplies stocked while I get some new farmers.
Sooo, yeah...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first tantrum spiral
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »

Wait ... is this a bad thing or a good thing?

:D

Make sure someone that is relatively unaffected is making food and/or drinks.  That will help greatly based on my own experiencing with spiraling fortresses.  If you have good furniture that isn't build, or in currently unused rooms, move it to the main dinning hall and make sure everyone eats and meets there to socialize.  Talking to friends while lounging on/near masterwork items should quickly calm them down.

The wonderful waterfall as you flood the room from above should help too, if that is more your style, of course.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:17:27 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:56:18 pm »

I think its a good thing. This is the first time my fortress actually came close to crumbling. Still isn't over yet. I'll probably start getting swarms of ghosts because I won't be able to bury everyone in time, so they might piss someone off again. Oh well, at least the survivors are now hardened against these kinds of things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:06:04 pm »

THE DINING HALL IS FULL OF DEAD BABIES
Just another day in the fortress.

Good news:
It's still salvageable by the looks of it. And if you survive, the Dwarves'll be mentally hardened to pretty much everything. So if you can keep those children alive long enough...

Bad news:
Ghooooooooost

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:07:35 pm »

And then the dead walk! Flee while you can!

Then all them dead babies and such come back and eat you.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:36:19 pm »

Best part: The ghosts of berzerking dwarfs are very violent, and will injure/kill the remaining people.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »

Best part: The ghosts of berzerking dwarfs are very violent, and will injure/kill the remaining people.
Balls...
I just got a migration wave of around 10 dorfs (a very welcome sight). Most of them are now masons, churning out coffins. Top priority now is burial of all the corpses. Some of them are still generating miasma, so that's something else to worry about.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:21 pm »

A second siege just came and killed everyone. My first genuine loss, I guess. Lesson for the future - don't use floodgates for entrance defense, they always get jammed and when you clean it up, some asshole breaks the level. I'm sticking to bridged from now on.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 12:03:22 am »

I feel for ya, man. I still haven't lost a fortress, I always just get bored. And I've only had one siege - luckily it was in the map I built walls around my only entrance due to evil rain...

But my current one is headed for something special. I can feel it.

Anyway, really classy people will use artifact portals for fortress defense.
My wooden badge was delicious.