Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1033734 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5265 on: June 23, 2013, 08:35:31 pm »

He's admitted he was ignorant and the [only]s in there were definitely implied...
Like hell they were. If you don't add the 'only's then suddenly he's neither malicious nor ignorant. He's stating a fact. "People who are physically [sex] have [penises/vaginas]". If they don't, then they aren't. A game about female masturbation has to have vaginas.
Gotta agree with frostshotgg here.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: June 23, 2013, 08:43:03 pm »

He's stating a fact.
Well, it's not a fact. That's the whole point of the outcry.
And there's the problem. It IS a fact, as long as you don't read it with only in front of vaginas, there's nothing wrong. A trans person could have a penis as well, but in order to be considered of the female sex, there has to be a vagina.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: June 23, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »

I just realized I know the perfect video for this.

HO HO HO
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: June 23, 2013, 08:49:24 pm »

Ya'll are being really damn pedantic....  ::)

If you have a problem with that specific example and how I worded it, I'll retract it and just point to how the dude is apologizing. If he never said anything unintentionally transphobic he sure as hell wouldn't be apologizing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »

And there's the problem. It IS a fact, as long as you don't read it with only in front of vaginas, there's nothing wrong. A trans person could have a penis as well, but in order to be considered of the female sex, there has to be a vagina.
Well I mean, it depends how you define gender, I mean yes I define myself by my body, but others don't in the end the it's not particularly less valid.

So no. At the very least, it's not a fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: June 23, 2013, 09:03:14 pm »

There's a difference between sex and gender, though. Sex is purely composed of the biological differences (ergo, someone of the female sex must by definition have a vagina, and vice-versa) between the two sexes of Homo sapiens sapiens, while gender encompasses all of the mental, social, emotional, cultural, etc. aspects (someone of the female gender may be biologically male or female). Granted, sex can certainly be a part of an individual's gender identity, but it doesn't work the other way around. I know people tend to use them interchangeably, but it is a useful distinction to make.

In the context of his initial statement at the panel there really wasn't a problem. Gabe's intended meaning was pretty clear (even if he didn't recognize at the time that there was any sort of distinction being made), given the context; gender is unrelated to biological characteristics, while sex is solely defined by them. The game in question was about female masturbation, therefore his statement obviously refers to the female sex. I can't speak as to anything that came after that, but it sounds like people jumped down his throat because they thought that he said something that offended them and didn't bother to actually parse the meaning or context of what he was saying.

My $0.02.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:07:18 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: June 23, 2013, 09:06:38 pm »

He's stating a fact.

"Women" is a word referring to those of the feminine gender, as far as I know, not of the female sex.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: June 23, 2013, 09:09:09 pm »

The lesson to be learned is that we shouldn't talk at all. If you don't carefully examine every word you speak before it leaves your mouth someone will go apeshit on you for one reason or another. If you do, you'll be ridiculed for being precise.

That, or just stop caring about what other people think.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:14:40 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »

The lesson to be learned is that we shouldn't talk at all. If you don't carefully examine every work you speak before it leaves your mouth someone will go apeshit on you for one reason or another. If you do, you'll be ridiculed for being precise.
LOLNUBPOTATOINTERNETAPESHITTING

Just kidding.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: June 23, 2013, 09:10:46 pm »

work you speak

HEY YOU MESSED UP WITH THAT U R DUM

EDIT: dammit xantalos you beat me to the joke

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: June 23, 2013, 09:14:21 pm »

I still don't think that's quite correct Flying Dice, but at least I think I agree with the conclusion. So good enough. So hugs all around?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: June 23, 2013, 09:16:24 pm »

Heh, yes. Hug and typos. I'm just so sick of all the vitriol being slung around at the slightest excuse (though goodness knows that's more than a little hypocritical of me); my headaches are big enough without it.  :)

Let's all get in our hugbox and annoy some more people.

3. Run Resize Enable

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: June 23, 2013, 09:39:12 pm »

He's stating a fact.
"Women" is a word referring to those of the feminine gender, as far as I know, not of the female sex.
Okay, this is being dumb. I was trying my best to avoid this entire conversation, because I'm biased against the entire stupid-ass tumblr social justice shit, but this. This is just being dumb.
Fine, you want to play semantics?
wom·an Noun /ˈwo͝omən/

Synonyms:
noun: womankind, womenfolk, womanhood

women plural
An adult human female
A female worker or employee
A wife, girlfriend, or lover
he wondered whether Billy had his woman with him
A female person associated with a particular place, activity, or occupation
a young American woman
Female adults in general
woman is intuitive
A female paid to clean someone's house and carry out general domestic duties
A peremptory form of address to a woman
don't be daft, woman

Notice how every definition except the one about wife/girlfriend/lover specifies female. Not feminine, but female. Gabe's meaning with that statement was clear, it's people who want to read into it and shove words into his mouth that made it anything but an absolute fact.

Fine, if you want to create reasons, not even hunt for, but outright fabricate reasons to hate on someone.
You're being a part of the oppressive game of patriarchy by spelling it Women instead of Womyn.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: June 24, 2013, 12:29:06 am »

I would like to say that, in his shoes, I would have reacted much more violently than gabe did. While my superpower is not necessarily being an asshole, it is being stubborn.

I've actually thought and prayed alot about the whole LGBT issue. And I can say with upmost certainty that I have no gobbing clue what this shit's all about. Some part of me just wants to go "Damn that's a bunch of shit girls can't have dicks" and then the logical part of my brain kicks in and it's like "Hey asshole, shut the hell up, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't a thing."

So, my whole stance on this issue is a resounding shrug. As a person i'll happily treat any LGBT person normally, and as a christian i'll tolerate them because god knows i'm not smart enough for this.

On a happier note:

HO HO HO

THEYS ALIENS

THEYS ALIENS OUT HERE

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:25 am »

As far as LGBT, I have no particular opinions about the whole thing. I'm not gay, but it doesn't bother me that there are LGB people, and I'm not trans, but trans people don't bother me. I treat everyone with a modicum of respect and give them a chance to show me how neat they are, until or unless they act like an asshole.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 510