Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1033520 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #3360 on: January 05, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »

Yet Christian Atheists actually exist, and are really cool people.

"Jesus was a cool guy. Do as he did. There is no god though - that shit is just crazy."

Atheists who believe Jesus was the son of God? Because that is what you need to believe in order to be Christian >_>

What do you mean? Just because you believe in Jesus, doesn't automatically make you believe he is the son of god. I myself believe Jesus existed, though I do think the resurrection and water walking and son of God is... well, for lack of a better term... brb consulting a thesaurus, I probably wouldn't get away with using that word in this context. fiction!

EDIT: Got a word that is much less likely to arouse anger.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:56:57 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 06, 2013, 12:02:56 am »

I am enlightened.
Though that contributed like, nothing to the discussion.
And this post doesn't either.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3363 on: January 06, 2013, 12:03:19 am »

"Jesus was a cool guy. Do as he did. There is no god though - that shit is just crazy."

Atheists who believe Jesus was the son of God? Because that is what you need to believe in order to be Christian >_>

What do you mean? Just because you believe in Jesus, doesn't automatically make you believe he is the son of god. I myself believe Jesus existed, though I do think the resurrection and water walking and son of God is... well, for lack of a better term... brb consulting a thesaurus, I probably wouldn't get away with using that word in this context. fiction!

So I believe in Zeno and Epictetus existing, and that makes me a stoic? Every belief held in common by all Christians is that Jesus was the son of God and all the miracles he did like come from the dead and such is true. You can believe Jesus was cool guy who did stuff, but unless you accept that you aren't Christian.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: January 06, 2013, 12:06:21 am »

So I believe in Zeno and Epictetus existing, and that makes me a stoic? Every belief held in common by all Christians is that Jesus was the son of God and all the miracles he did like come from the dead and such is true. You can believe Jesus was cool guy who did stuff, but unless you accept that you aren't Christian.

Ripped this definition from Dictionary.com
of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings: a Christian faith.
I see no 'God has to exist too' in there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 06, 2013, 12:10:02 am »

of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings: a Christian faith.

Mat 16:13-17 -- And coming into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, Jesus asked His disciples, saying, Who do men say Me to be, the Son of Man? And they said, Some say, John the Baptist; some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. He said to them, But who do you say I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. Jesus answered and said to him, You are blessed, Simon, son of Jonah, for flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but My Father in Heaven.

If you believe that Jesus existed and that what he taught/said is generally factual, then yes, God must by necessity exist. I'm sure you could find plenty of other passages along similar lines with a little searching.

3. Run Resize Enable

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: January 06, 2013, 12:13:23 am »

I really need to stop trying to win arguments/debates with my opinion alone...
I guess I was just taught that all you had to do to be Christian was believe in Jesus.
I'll discuss this with my more religious friends at school on Monday, maybe then I can learn something about the subject I like to think I know so much about.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 06, 2013, 12:15:58 am »

Granted, there are so many splinter sects of Christianity that there probably are some that teach that and genuinely mean it. After all, it's not as if the major denominations don't ignore parts of the Bible that they don't like. No skin off my nose either way.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:54 am »

Homer? Homer Simpson?

8)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3369 on: January 06, 2013, 12:20:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Delicious copy pasta.

Religion can get interesting sometimes; I have a friend who's Jain, and as such they are vegetarians and hardcore fasters. I asked him about how he felt about vegetarianism, and he said it has everything to do with not hurting living things. So I asked him about eggs, and he said it is harming potential living beings. So I asked him about commercial eggs; which never would have had any potential to hatch.
And well, commercial eggs don't exactly come from treating birds well.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 06, 2013, 05:00:38 am »

I think there were great splits in the early church about whether Jesus was like God or actually God - some said he was just an extraordinary man, but were still christians. That would have helped a lot with the "no god next to me" stuff in the old testament - you'll have to admit that labeling christianity a monotheistic religion is pushing it a bit :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:58 am »

Hey, that sounds like how I view the Bible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: January 06, 2013, 10:18:16 am »

I suppose the point that there isnt even a 50/50 split in most species is lost on them? Or that many species dont even have male/female genders.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 06, 2013, 10:23:54 am »

Wow. Got someone claiming that unless there was a god, it'd be impossible for there to be an approximate 50/50 ratio of males to females in all animal species. His reasoning? Basically, 'This is how it works.'

No evidence or anything, just him basically saying that.

He also claimed that evolution doesn't exist, and it's not science, it's witchcraft!
Meh, if the witchcraft works better, I'll choose witchcraft over science any day of the week.

It doesn't, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 510