Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1034918 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1695 on: October 02, 2012, 11:39:20 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure spanish is the most similar to english of all the euro-languages (other than English).

I know, historically, that just seems wrong, but structurally the languages are super similar, and the shared vocabulary is large. But English doesn't really have all that German a structure, does it?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: October 02, 2012, 11:41:44 am »

Epic derail so far.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:35 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure spanish is the most similar to english of all the euro-languages (other than English).

I know, historically, that just seems wrong, but structurally the languages are super similar, and the shared vocabulary is large. But English doesn't really have all that German a structure, does it?

Actually, English is a Germanic language, while Spanish is a Romantic language. English, Scots, Dutch, and the various flavors of German all developed from the same West-Germanic branch of proto-German. The various Norse languages developed from the North-Germanic branch of the language.

Granted, modern English gives and receives quite a few loan-words and grammatical structures.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: October 02, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »

Being a speaker of Swedish and English, having studied Spanish and having heard my family talk German to each other (they all studied it and used to have conversations in it) to the point where I'm relatively knowledeable (as in for someone who hasn't studied it) of it, I can say to you with certainty that you are wrong. German is much closer to English, definitely dictionary-wise and to lesser extent grammatically. And Spanish certainly isn't "closest to English" of the European languages, that would be Dutch, and Swedish pretty much works exactly like English grammatically and lots of the words are direct relatives.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 02, 2012, 12:35:36 pm »

Karne, Spanish/French still isn't more like English than German :P

Also, @RedKing, that doesn't seem to take multilingualism into account at all... For example, if I remember correctly, you can get along better with English than Hindi in India because almost everyone spekaks it, while far from all speak Hindi.
I was just going off the chart at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers, which admittedly doesn't consider 2nd languages. Equally interesting (but far more complicated to calculate) would be most widely spoken languages (in terms of geographic area rather than population). For instance, French isn't the powerhouse it used to be, but it's spoken across a large swath of the world thanks to colonialism. While Wu is pretty much just in a relatively small area centered on Shanghai (which nonetheless gives it a speakership of around 80 million because Shanghai is ZOMGPEEPLES)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: October 02, 2012, 02:17:22 pm »

My school has Finnish, English, Swedish, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Latin. I'm only fluent in the first two, as for Swedish my skill in it mainly consists of "Jag pratar inte Svenska." I did study French in grades 3-5, but remember nothing of it.

What country is this? I want to know what school teaches that many languages.

Solum Latinam scio. Volo plures linguas scire, sed modo possum unam discere in schola.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:30:34 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: October 02, 2012, 02:41:58 pm »

Definitely Finland.
Love, scriver~

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:14 pm »

I dont remember where i read/heard this but:
You know what, we(americans) should Invade Switzerland! Its full of banks right? We'll be the richest country in the world!
Wut. Just wut.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1703 on: October 02, 2012, 02:50:38 pm »

I dont remember where i read/heard this but:
You know what, we(americans) should Invade Switzerland! Its full of banks right? We'll be the richest country in the world!
Wut. Just wut.
War fixes everything! Even war!
~Murricaaaaaaaaaa

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:36 pm »

I'm sure it was just a joke, but yeah, invading Switzerland? Impossible. They're what happens if you take Afghanistan and fill it with the most militia-ist, gun-crazy American rednecks you can find, and also give each and every one of them military training and require them to keep their own arms at home at all time. You can't beat their army without crushing the entire populace.

They're kind of serious about their freedom.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: October 02, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »

They're a bit more serious about independent neutrality than freedom. Women couldn't vote in some of the cantons until the late 90's, you aren't allowed to construct minarets in Switzerland, there's a universal male draft, and the Swiss Banking System is the Swiss Banking System. Very useful until the Swiss think that you can't do anything to them, at which point all your money belongs to the Swiss. They even kept gold made from the melted fillings of holocaust victims after WWII.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »

Very useful until the Swiss think that you can't do anything to them, at which point all your money belongs to the Swiss. They even kept gold made from the melted fillings of holocaust victims after WWII.
It's not that they take it when they think that you can't do anything, it's that their bank accounts have a year limit where if it goes untouched for that long then it defaults to the Swiss government (info from a Swiss exchange student). As such a lot of the gold and various other objects from WWII defaulted to the swiss government because so many people died, therefore leaving their accounts unused.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: October 02, 2012, 05:27:31 pm »

To be both on-topic and discuss the foreign language education topic, some pearls of wisdom from the high school Latin teacher:

"Yes, it's from Latin"; note there is no specific context for this, as she says it pretty much any time someone asks her if a word is from Latin.

"I heard 'Skyrom' [her pronunciation, sic] is a pretty good video game, so I bought it for my son for Christmas! People tell me it's got Latin in it!"

"If you don't put your name on the paper, I'll put in in the 'nemo' [n.b.: Latin for "nobody"] file."

"There are only two fourth declension neuter nouns, 'genu' [knee] and 'cornu' [horn]." One week later, and "gelu" [ice] appears in the text. Cue confusion.

On the subject of those two words, let's cut to her bizarre concept of how high school students memorize everything better with sexual innuendo involved: "You can remember these are the two because it's ironic, the words are 'horn knee', like 'horny', but they're neuter gender!". Actually, this worked. But it was still uncharacteristically... uncouth of her.

And the crown jewel: she calls up my father one day to tell him about how well I'm doing in class, but she also has a concern about me: She thinks that I think I'm a time traveler. I kid you not. The origin of this concept: a brief writing she had us do about what we would do if we time-traveled to Ancient Rome. She evidently forgot this.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: October 02, 2012, 05:30:58 pm »

Wat?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: October 02, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »

She might be legitimately crazy.

Or all those years of studying latin made her very, very sheltered.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 510