Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1034811 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1680 on: October 02, 2012, 10:02:39 am »

I wouldn't mind learning a language (or 5) if it weren't for the sheer time investment. Hell, I still don't know all that much about English, and it's my native language. I've already tabbed to Google 3 times today to look up English words I didn't recognize.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 02, 2012, 10:04:20 am »

My problem with English is that I've learned more from reading on my own time than in a formal setting, so I'll often understand what a word or phrase means but not be able to define it properly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:55 am »

Haha yeah, me too. Sometimes I use a word here or elsewhere in a formal debate, read it over and think to myself "am I actually defining this word right?"

Worse for me though is I read/type a lot more than vocal speaking, so I mispronounce a ton of words. I used to pronounce "convoluted" as "convulted" until someone asked what the hell I was saying one day. It's even worse with those wacky fantasy names, since I'm not going to spend 10 minutes figuring out all the syllables in "Nynaeve" or whatever and will just come up with a rough approximation in my head.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 02, 2012, 10:12:19 am »

Learn to speak Chinese, German, English, and Afrikaans, and you'll be able to speak with probably over half the world population.

Wait, German? I think Spanish or French would be more suitable. I mean, they hardly even speak German in Schweiz and Austria, let alone anywhere else :P

I'm also not sure what Afrikaans is even doing on that list. Did you mean Swahili?
Love, scriver~

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 02, 2012, 10:16:07 am »

I really wish I could get myself to learn sign language... I don't know why.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 02, 2012, 10:20:40 am »

Haha yeah, me too. Sometimes I use a word here or elsewhere in a formal debate, read it over and think to myself "am I actually defining this word right?"

Worse for me though is I read/type a lot more than vocal speaking, so I mispronounce a ton of words. I used to pronounce "convoluted" as "convulted" until someone asked what the hell I was saying one day. It's even worse with those wacky fantasy names, since I'm not going to spend 10 minutes figuring out all the syllables in "Nynaeve" or whatever and will just come up with a rough approximation in my head.

I'm honestly half-convinced that Robert Jordan came up with his names just to fuck with the obsessive fans and give them something to argue about until the next Age.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: October 02, 2012, 10:22:33 am »

That name in particular? My brain came up with "Ny-na-veen." Don't ask me how.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:24 am »

That name in particular? My brain came up with "Ny-na-veen." Don't ask me how.
It's actually NIGH-neev. Robert Jordan might have been horrible in some of his other habits, but at least he includes a glossary with the correct pronunciation for almost every strange name or word at the back of his books.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:55 am »

Learn to speak Chinese, German, English, and Afrikaans, and you'll be able to speak with probably over half the world population.

Wait, German? I think Spanish or French would be more suitable. I mean, they hardly even speak German in Schweiz and Austria, let alone anywhere else :P

I'm also not sure what Afrikaans is even doing on that list. Did you mean Swahili?

By my calculations, you would actually need to learn the top 14 languages in order to speak with half the world's population.

Mandarin
Spanish
English
Hindi
Arabic
Portuguese
Bengali
Russian
Japanese
Punjabi
German
Javanese
Wu (eastern Chinese dialect, sometimes called Shanghainese)
Indonesian/Malay

In order to pass written notes (without Romanization), you'd also need to learn at least seven different writing systems:

Chinese characters (Mandarin; Wu)
Arabic (Arabic; can also be used for Malay and Javanese)
Latin alphabet (English, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Malay, Javanese)
Bengali (Bengali)
Devanagari (Hindi, can be used for Punjabi)
Cyrillic alphabet (Russian)
Hiragana + kana chracters (Japanese)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:46 am »

Well, Spanish or French would work just as well, as would probably Italian. They're all very widely spread languages. I chose German since it's more central and differentiated from English. Russian was there originally, I guess that would work too. I was trying to think of the most widespread languages avoiding overlap, thus no Spanish.

Yeah, I probably meant Swahili. Africa has been sadly neglected in my studies. I'm not sure which language is most likely to be understood over there.

It's also taking into account most countries are bilingual to some extent. The vast majority of people on Earth at least speak English, I imagine Chinese is widely studied in Asia where English isn't taught, and a few fallback languages like Spanish, German, Russian, or French could get you understood most places in the world.

Everyone here speaks English but I think Americans are a minority if you count some of the other countries together. The Scandinavians for example are all over these boards.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Woah. You mean in their native tongue, or are you taking Bilinguals into account?

Also, damn Chinese you scary!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:08 am »

Actually, German is pretty similair to English. You'd have more luck with French

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:40 am »

Yeah, I probably meant Swahili. Africa has been sadly neglected in my studies. I'm not sure which language is most likely to be understood over there.
There isn't really one. :P The three largest used "official" languages are arabic, french, and english, but if you are looking at "common" languages then there are over six different families of languages. Africa as a whole has some 2800 or so different languages that are spoken within it, and as a result every person usually ends up learning several different languages as they grow up. If you are looking to be understood by the maximum amount of Africa, your best bet is to simply learn arabic, french, and english and then forget about counting all of the various bush people and smaller tribes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:30 am »

My (admittedly very meager) understanding of African languages states that most those languages are akin to heavy dialects. There's even less of a division between the languages than European ones have, so someone who knows one could pick up others in the same geographical area quite easily.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: October 02, 2012, 11:26:27 am »

Afrikaans is a sort of super-dialect of Dutch.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:23 am »

Karne, Spanish/French still isn't more like English than German :P

Also, @RedKing, that doesn't seem to take multilingualism into account at all... For example, if I remember correctly, you can get along better with English than Hindi in India because almost everyone spekaks it, while far from all speak Hindi.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 510