Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1011865 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #675 on: August 19, 2012, 01:05:42 pm »

That's because rule number one of being an American gamer is that if you lose it was somebody else's fault. Either the game malfunctioned, the ref made a bad call, or your computer network connection lagged, but it obviously wasn't your fault.

I've got to say that in some ways I prefer playing with asians because they actually understand the level of skill and are willing to accept that others are better rather then cursing you out because they lost. Then I lose horribly to one who I can't even touch and I feel this incredible urge to default back to american gamer rule number 1. :P

In reality the real reason is because a large portion of americans have decided that the best way to deal with losing is to simply mock anybody who beats them and call them things like "try hards". As such it has even started to take on a type of insulting air to it, though I still don't get exactly how calling somebody a "try hard" is an insult. I mean that's the second biggest point of a game after all, to win (right after enjoying yourself that is).

I don't like playing with Asians, because the only games I play that has a large Asian following are Starcraft/Starcraft II. And those Koreans are way. Too. Dedicated. To those games.
I have an asian friend who mostly plays starcraft, apparently he averages about 140 cps. I tried playing a few games with him, but by the time I set up my barracks I was already overwhelmed by zerglings.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »

Did you mean CPM/APM? Since 140 clicks per second strikes me as "roid rage".
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 19, 2012, 02:15:33 pm »

140 clicks per second is faster than even most rotary guns shoot bullets/shells. That would be 8400 clicks per minute. That's not even roid rage, that's Yuki Nagato. On roids.
Nothing important here, move along.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 19, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »

http://humortown.blogspot.com/2007/04/funny-tech-support-calls.html
my Iq drop 100 points fum dat

That gave me worse brain hemorrhage than Pyrovision...
I had to stop reading, there was so much fail there.
This, i fucking deal with this for weeks on end -_-

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 19, 2012, 02:51:03 pm »

140 clicks per second is faster than even most rotary guns shoot bullets/shells. That would be 8400 clicks per minute. That's not even roid rage, that's Yuki Nagato. On roids.

Or they have an unobtanium mouse, braced in place, that they are continuously firing at with a very well-aimed M61 Vulcan.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 19, 2012, 03:38:00 pm »

But then how would they move the mouse?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 19, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »

They've got a rollerball with buttons; the autocannon firing at the buttons just centimeters from their fingers is a gentle reminder to make all movements planned and precise.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 19, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »

Firing an automatic weapon at a mouse is all well and good, but I don't think the game could even register that many clicks per second.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 19, 2012, 04:13:03 pm »

Perhaps many people are playing at the same time?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 19, 2012, 04:16:31 pm »

The processor could probably handle the clicking by itself, since it's usually operating at several million Hertz while even 140 clicks per second is 140 Hertz. The issue would be all the calculations going on not just with each click but happening otherwise in the game as well.
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 19, 2012, 04:18:44 pm »

I seriously doubt many games run at faster than 60 FPS (not graphical FPS, but gameplay calculations) which gives an absolute hard cap to input commands, regardless of any hardware capabilities.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #686 on: August 19, 2012, 04:29:05 pm »

Hehe, about the APM, if you watch me play PVP, you'll basically see a girl bashing the keyboard lots of times, but on the screen a beautifully chronographed fight that ends up with the other person dead most of the time xD I do not think when I PVP.

On the other hand, I'm terrible at Starcraft and I don't think it's a fun game either, so that's that. >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 19, 2012, 04:31:48 pm »

I'm not entirely sure on the details, but I'm pretty sure that on Windows at least you can get more than 1 click per frame registered by an application.  It would just get multiple mouse button down messages posted to the application's message pump.  It could still well ignore dubplicate messages I suppose.

The limiting factor would be the latency in the hardware, and how long it takes to register the mouse down events.  You've got mechanical limits on the mouse itself (including factors such as debouncing the mouse button), limits on how long it takes the hardware to recognize the event (which is handled by the keyboard controller on old PS/2 hardware I believe, and an emulation of something like that on modern USB hardware), filtering done by that hardware to software debounce the button, time it takes to trigger an interrupt, time required for the processor to service the interrupt, time for the operating system to convert the ISR into a message, and finally post it to the application's message pump.

In short, I would expect it to have an upper limit in the hundreds of clicks per second, if not thousands.  Certainly not one per processor cycle of course, but almost certainly more than 60 per second.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 19, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »

I seriously doubt many games run at faster than 60 FPS (not graphical FPS, but gameplay calculations) which gives an absolute hard cap to input commands, regardless of any hardware capabilities.
That would be true if the game would only handle one input per tick. Actually it clears the pending event queue every single tick.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 19, 2012, 05:51:18 pm »

Park Sung-Joon is noted for the record APM of 818.
Holy hell, that's nearly 14 per second. D:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 510