Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1035398 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #3030 on: November 30, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

How did you think the UK got involved in the first world War?

(and, slightly less heroic, why was France overrun during the second world war).

You also got foundations for the European union, and some other stuff.
I was under the impression they were in a alliance with France and Russia, and the Black Hand gang, to which Josip Princip belonged and admired, had to fuck up everyone's day. They are also the seat of NATO, if it makes you feel better. And there were a number of reasons for france being overrun, not just belgium.

But yeah, all in all, a fairly uninteresting place. At least the Swedes took part in the Napoleanic Wars. I mean sure, it is important in a european sense, but in matters which shaped the world, ehh.

OH WAIT I REMEMBERED A MONTY PYTHING SKIT THAT MENTIONS BELGIUM. Skip to 1:00 to go straight to Belgium.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: November 30, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »

The Black Hand wasn't really a gang, but more of Serbia's "Seal Team 6".
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: November 30, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »

The Black Hand wasn't really a gang, but more of Serbia's "Seal Team 6".
More like a Al Qaeda. They were, essentially, a nationalist terrorist group.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: November 30, 2012, 08:20:12 pm »

I was taught that = is right under all circumstances, personally. If there's an exception, it must be stated or it's wrong.
Nothing important here, move along.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:27 pm »

Well algebra is all about finding the exceptions, but in that case it's hardly always right.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: November 30, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »

What the kid meant, though, was that 1/x = x/1 for all x; he used the "it's true when x=1" argument to say that it must be true for all numbers... so I took out the calculator and began showing him that 1/10000 =/= 10000, 1/2 =/= 2/1, 1/5e^2 =/= 5e^2/1, etc.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: November 30, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »

I was under the impression they were in a alliance with France and Russia ...
Well France was allies with Russia, and Britain had signed a bunch of peace agreements with both of them that meant they acknowledged each other's colonial territories, which was essentially just a non-aggression pact, it just all amounted to a lot of good will and agreements that they would try really hard not to wind up fighting each other. Now this was all done with a general alliance-y structure in mind, they wanted something to counteract the German, Austrian, and Italian central powers alliance that was looking really menacing to all three of them, but Britain was sort of keen to avoid getting dragged into a small pointless war that the Russians or the French were fighting.

So yeah, long story short, Britain wasn't allied with either of them, but likely would have entered the war anyway if Belgium (which was in Britain's sphere of influence and under guarantee) hadn't been invaded, Belgium was a good excuse to get in it, it looked good in the papers to be riding to it's rescue, rather than just getting involved in a fight with the world's foremost military on land just because it was going.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: December 01, 2012, 04:02:53 am »

YouTube comments. Just...YouTube comments.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:16 am »

I heard they are an effective carcinogen.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: December 01, 2012, 05:19:48 am »

I heard they are an effective carcinogen.
Concentrations of 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 part per (Grahm's Number) were shown to kill within 5 seconds. This is the power of stupid.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3040 on: December 01, 2012, 06:06:23 am »

thumbs up if u cry everytme

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: December 01, 2012, 07:46:03 am »

Actually, as I Belgian, I had this very same discussion with a friend. After much searching, we found the one moment in history when Belgium did something significant: we refused to let the German cross Belgium in 1914. Sure, they did cross anyway, because it's not like we're going to stop them or anything, but it slowed them for around 3 days, which let the French move troops (The Marne Taxi stuff) and prevented von Schlieffen's plan from working.

We also killed 6 millions congolese and instaured a market in severed hand, but somehow it does not seems to count as historically significant.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:02 am »

Didn't we lay the foundation for the EU too? I would call that historically significant.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: December 01, 2012, 07:55:01 am »

While significant, if von Schlieffen's plan had succeeded an armistice might have been achieved 2-3 years earlier, the treaty of Versailles wouldn't have happened, there would have been no Bolshevik revolution in Russia, no 1918 influenza epidemic that killed half the population of Europe, and no rise to power of the NAZI's, no WWII, and therefore no Cold War, nor the rise of Communism in China, no Pol Pot in Cambodia, no Korean war or Vietnam war, no Suharto in Indonesia, etc.

It's just possible that Belgium was the lynch-pin that killed 200+ million people.

Damn you, what hath Belgium wrought?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:57:59 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: December 01, 2012, 08:04:44 am »

miauw62, we hopped on the EU bandwagon, but if Belgium had been replaced by one huge inflatable dick from 1945 to 1950, things would have gone pretty much the same way.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 510