Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1010447 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:34 am »

To *slightly* rerail the topic, my classmates think I'm a terrorist for running a memory test on one of the school computers.
Quote from:  Classmate
Woa! Whys the screen all blu n' s@#t? n' whys der ledders going quickly across it? HOLY S@#T ERREBODY, dat N@#$%s a terror-rist!
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawhhhh???

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2012, 01:55:41 pm »

Pissed-off user:
User: "This is totally unacceptable! There was no warning that they were moving my data to a different drive!"
Me: "Actually....there were 9 seperate broadcast emails over the last two weeks regarding the drive migration."
User: "Well....that's.....look, migrating my data and moving it to a different drive are two different things."
Me: "....no, that's pretty much what migration means."
User: "INSUFFICIENT!"
Me: (trying not to snicker)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:13 pm »

I was tempted to respond with, "Well, you're the only one out of about 3000 people who seems to have been caught unawares, so I'd say it was sufficient."

But I'd like to keep my job for the remaining few months.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 09, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »

Users: Dope springs eternal.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2012, 03:24:58 pm »

I've seen the rainbow thing before, but I just noticed that she insinuated that rainbows are in outer space. *nyan*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2012, 03:26:23 pm »

It's the "metal oxide salts" and "government's relentless thirst for energy sources" that really gets me.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #277 on: August 09, 2012, 03:26:53 pm »

Rainbows from water sprinklers? Must be a conspiracy.
"It's the gays, they're poisoning our water supply with fabulous!"

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2012, 03:27:10 pm »

"You didn't build that! Somebody else made that happen!"
I'm assuming this is the infamous quote from the president.
The one that I believe was taken out of context, in that he was referring to public works such as roads and sewers.

While if you read the original full quote it's clear that he meant roads, bridges and internet, his speech writer should take the rap for poor choice of word order, making it easy to take out of context.

I thought so too, until I looked at it in context. Not just the "roads and bridges" but the WHOLE speech. He dismisses alternate explanations "You think it's because you're smart! Well, there's a lot of smart people!" he also takes away hard worker as a justification. Therefore, if it had nothing to do with my work or my intelligence, "Somebody else made that happen!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 09, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »

"This didn't happen 20 years ago, we all know that..."

Well of course! The gurverment ajensees hadn't invented color yet! Yes, that's the truth! There never were any black and white cameras, THE WORLD WAS BLACK AND WHITE!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 09, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »

"You didn't build that! Somebody else made that happen!"
I'm assuming this is the infamous quote from the president.
The one that I believe was taken out of context, in that he was referring to public works such as roads and sewers.

While if you read the original full quote it's clear that he meant roads, bridges and internet, his speech writer should take the rap for poor choice of word order, making it easy to take out of context.

I thought so too, until I looked at it in context. Not just the "roads and bridges" but the WHOLE speech. He dismisses alternate explanations "You think it's because you're smart! Well, there's a lot of smart people!" he also takes away hard worker as a justification. Therefore, if it had nothing to do with my work or my intelligence, "Somebody else made that happen!"

How the hell do you come to that conclusion from the speech?

Quote from: Obama
    There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back.  They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.  You didn’t get there on your own.  I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.  There are a lot of smart people out there.  It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.  Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.  There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.  Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.  Somebody invested in roads and bridges.  If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that.  Somebody else made that happen.  The Internet didn’t get invented on its own.  Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.  There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own.  I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service.  That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

He simply states that we don't do everything on our own, and that government plays a key role constructing things that allow a business to succeed.  Nowhere does he say that initiative and hard work don't do anything.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2012, 03:41:11 pm »

Weren't we supposed to keep politics out of this thread?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2012, 04:07:29 pm »

I bet that her Sprinkler is now made in China instead of the US like they used to be.

Probable explanation is that newer sprinklers have finer holes, for more of a mist than spatter.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 09, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back.  They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.  You didn’t get there on your own.  I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.  There are a lot of smart people out there.  It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.  Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

Regardless, he said that. If it has nothing to do with my own merits, then the fact I succeed and someone else doesn't has nothing to do with me. Therefore,  "somebody else, made that happen!"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 09, 2012, 04:24:02 pm »

Nooo... he was just saying it wasn't you alone. Not just your virtues that decide your success. There are people as smart, as hardworking, and possessing just as much initiatie and vigor as you are, who are not as successful as you are. The difference isn't you, but rather who and what supported you -- that, as much as (if not more than) your own virtues decides your success.

Certainly, if you weren't intelligent and hard working, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of those aids given to you to the degree someone intelligent and hard working could. But similarly... if the opportunities had never been given to you, it wouldn't matter how hard working or intelligent you are. To that extent, yes. Someone else made that happen. It couldn't have happened without you, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 510