Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1035122 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2355 on: October 24, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »

Another fun thought for the day: the item traveling at speed of light also wouldn't know about the impact until it hit, due to time dilation. So with light speed travel, no chance for either to avoid collision.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

It would act much like a black hole, but since it's moving so fast, most things would probably avoid being sucked into it unless they're directly in its path.

On the planet itself things would be normal, except of course the fusion happening when it collides with things, which would eventually heat the entire thing to a plasma state.
remember, a black hole can suck up light.

I think a few planets and stars travelling much, MUCH slower than light would be snarfed up, too.
The reason why things outside of it's path wouldn't be sucked in would be because it would zoom past them before they could move any significant distance towards the object traveling near the speed of light.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: October 24, 2012, 06:47:07 pm »

My Stupid/Debatable thing of the day:
One of my friends is asked by me "If somehow in the near future a fully sentient AI were to come into existence, would you be for It having rights?"
His reply, "No, because it would've been made by people and it would just be a computer program, so No."
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: October 24, 2012, 06:48:06 pm »

So being made by random chemical interactions is somehow better, eh? :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 24, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »

Since when did speed affect mass?
Since relativity. The more apparent energy something has, the more apparent mass it has. This is why light is affected by gravity, despite having 0 rest mass.
and one of the many limitations of this universe preventing FTL travel.

You'd have more than infinite mass, for the instant you are at the speed of light, an eternity will go by (time dilation, to put it simply), anything impacting your object, even a hydrogen atom, could cause a fair bit of damage etc.

All you need is a power source that generates power in proportion to it's mass, so that when you hit infinite mass, you get infinite power. (That's not the premise of the Mass Effect games, is it?)

Fun thought for the day: If a massive black hole (... or any big object I guess) were approaching the earth at the speed of light, we would never know until we were suddenly obliterated.

Also, gamma ray bursts; could suddenly kill EVERYTHING on one side of the planet, and does travel at the speed of light.
Relevant

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: October 24, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »

In computer science today a classmate was working on a Twenty Questions project to code in Java, which actually consists of just two questions. It requires you to name several objects and classify them as either Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral, and whether it is larger or smaller than a breadbox.

So this classmate turns to a buddy of mine and asks "Cell phones are minerals right?"

Buddy: "What?"

"Are cell phones minerals?"

"Do you know even what a mineral is?"

*insert some arguing here as to how the class mate doesn't know what a mineral is*

Classmate:..."Well how would you define a mineral *insert buddy's name here*?"

So they go and google mineral definition and check Wikipedia. Apparently the proper definition of a mineral is "under debate." They compromised then that cell phones could be a mineral, depending on one's perception of how a mineral is defined.  I wouldn't call this amazingly stupid, but it was pretty dang funny.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: October 24, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »

In computer science today a classmate was working on a Twenty Questions project to code in Java, which actually consists of just two questions. It requires you to name several objects and classify them as either Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral, and whether it is larger or smaller than a breadbox.

So this classmate turns to a buddy of mine and asks "Cell phones are minerals right?"

Buddy: "What?"

"Are cell phones minerals?"

"Do you know even what a mineral is?"

*insert some arguing here as to how the class mate doesn't know what a mineral is*

Classmate:..."Well how would you define a mineral *insert buddy's name here*?"

So they go and google mineral definition and check Wikipedia. Apparently the proper definition of a mineral is "under debate." They compromised then that cell phones could be a mineral, depending on one's perception of how a mineral is defined.  I wouldn't call this amazingly stupid, but it was pretty dang funny.
Googling, it appears they are a object that is manufactured from minerals. Ergo, No.

Appearantly, this question was so stupid google couldn't answer it, because no one ever asked before.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: October 24, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »

Quote from: At work
customer: How would you like to be slapped in the face with a cold piece of cheese.
me: I don't think I'd like that very much...
customer: good, go tell the cooks that, and if they have any problems with it, tell them I'll be out here.

::)
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:42 pm »

Quote from: At work
customer: How would you like to be slapped in the face with a cold piece of cheese.
me: I don't think I'd like that very much...
customer: good, go tell the cooks that, and if they have any problems with it, tell them I'll be out here.

::)
So the cooks slapped thon with a piece of cold cheese?
That doesn't even make sense...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 24, 2012, 07:38:56 pm »

I'm guessing they got slapped and were angry about it, and wanted you on their side.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:25 pm »

he was upset that there was cold cheese on his burger,
I went and told a manager he was upset about it, I offered to have it remade but he denied, when the manager went to talk to him he threw his drink at her and left, she called the cops but they were long gone by the time the cops showed up.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:00 pm »

Ooooh, just a whiny customer.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: October 24, 2012, 08:47:02 pm »

he was upset that there was cold cheese on his burger,
I went and told a manager he was upset about it, I offered to have it remade but he denied, when the manager went to talk to him he threw his drink at her and left, she called the cops but they were long gone by the time the cops showed up.
Is that going to go on Not Always Right?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: October 24, 2012, 11:55:18 pm »

mehh I'm not going to post it on there, to lazy

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: October 25, 2012, 04:01:07 am »

All you need is a power source that generates power in proportion to it's mass, so that when you hit infinite mass, you get infinite power. (That's not the premise of the Mass Effect games, is it?)

The premise of Mass Effect, as I understood it, is that when you direct an electric current through Element Zero (eezo), it creates a "mass effect field", which either raises or lowers the mass of objects within, depending on whether it's a positive or negative current. With some clever engineering, they can make mass effect fields that reduce a ships apparent mass to zero.

That's how I figure it at least.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 510