Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1037289 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1065 on: August 26, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »

Well it's good to see we're all antisocial over here on B12. I would say we should form some kind of antisocial community if that weren't so glaringly contradictory.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 26, 2012, 12:13:24 pm »

I find it hard to believe that stuff like Facebook/etc isn't "mainstream." "Mainstream" itself is context specific, and I assume here we're talking about first world communication, for which social media makes up a non-insignificant chunk of.

And no one rejects anything just to reject it. They reject it to prove a point of some sort. Here it's to show disgust toward the consequences of this new form of communication. Your music hipster rejects stuff because they feel it pretentious and that it doesn't speak to them specifically. Your tech hipster loves customization far more than user friendliness. There's always a point to be made, and with hipsters it pretty much always boils down to "it doesn't fit me."

The snobby superiority is the problem with your stereotypical hipster, and none of the stuff above.

I'm getting tired of semantic debates, but you can get the last word in if you want.

Well it's good to see we're all antisocial over here on B12. I would say we should form some kind of antisocial community if that weren't so glaringly contradictory.
Which is exactly why we should do it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 26, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »

My thoughts exactly, but then I realised. Sense? Where we're going we don't need no sense.

Blacksmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 26, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »

Well, I guess I lose. I have a couple facebooks. And I facebook too much. Too many facebooks.

It just makes planning and keeping track of parties and events so easy! And also I can be a snail who constantly twits about his snail life on the bookface.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 26, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »

I just negotiate all parties and events with the voices in my head. They're always in my mind, which is closer to me than my phone or computer. Abraham Lincoln tells me not to use Facebook because it's run by vampires. Being insane is really a lot more convenient than social networking.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 26, 2012, 12:20:31 pm »

i appreciate hipsterism. although it's been around for decades now, it only recently became mainstream, and has done so much more graciously than it's "non-conformist" predecessors. Unlike goths and punks and metalheads and all that crowd who hypocritically\naively pretend to reject fashion and the conformist sheepleness of the masses, hipsterism when done right uses irony and hyperbole to at the same time attack and embrace conformism and mainstream. it's like a whole tribe of andy warhols

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:33:20 pm by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 26, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »

Here is my last word.

I'm out.

You can put in a last word if you are a loser.

Fine. Here is my last word: Hypocrite.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 26, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

Novel, how is that stupid? That's kind of inspiring to me.

I do not understand.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Blacksmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 26, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »

And no one rejects anything just to reject it. They reject it to prove a point of some sort.
Huh? There are... lots of other reasons to reject things. I don't reject Badoo to make a point - I just don't want to use it. It doesn't offer anything I desire. If I were to reject Facebook for the same reason (say, because all my friends were on Badoo), I honestly don't think that would be "hipsterish".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 26, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »

Hrm, yes. The "hipsterish" reason to reject something is to prove a point, though.

And arguably, if you pick option A over option B because B is better, you're proving a point that A is worse. But that's just pedantic.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:10 pm »

Hrm, yes. The "hipsterish" reason to reject something is to prove a point, though.

And arguably, if you pick option A over option B because B is better, you're proving a point that A is worse. But that's just pedantic.
Maybe at first. But most of the hipsters I've known were expressly doing it because it was the thing to do. Except for the hipsters who were so meta that they never shut up about how annoying hipsters were.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1079 on: August 26, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »

See I always assumed "hipsterish" was being "sociably unsociable", trying to fit into a crowd that defined itself by it's love of the 'obscure' instead of just happening to be a person that liked some obscure things and hangs around with people who like similar things.

I listen to One-Eyed Doll not because they're ridiculously obscure, but because I like the music. I've worn some ...somewhat weird outfits because I thought they'd look good. Not a case of fashion-following or trying to stand out for the sake of it, I just thought wearing a white waistcoat with a thin silver scarf to the college "Prom" would look snazzy. And damn did it :D I did win "Most Fashionable Male" but I think that was because I was the only person who intentionally owned three Waistcoats -__-

Never understood wearing clothes or listening to music to fit in. Wear what you think looks good and are comfortable in, listen to music you like. Lady Gaga is next to Ladytron are a few steps behind Leonard Cohen and a few steps before The Lion King soundtrack in my music library and so it shall remain, unless more L[whatever] musicians catch my ear :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:40:32 pm by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 510