Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Childbirth spam  (Read 687 times)

azach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Childbirth spam
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »

Is there anything that can be done? I don't mind getting a message, but the focusing of the camera and pausing of the game gets very aggravating at certain points in the life of a fortress. Usually around 100 dwarves the females start popping out babies like the future of the dwarven race depends on them. I focus the camera somewhere I want to look and it's almost immediately refocused on some slut who did the deed 9 or whatever months ago, in addition to pausing the game.

Also, why do people hang out on training spears like it's an awesome place to be? My military gets depressed at seeing all the baby corpses.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Childbirth spam
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:43:45 pm »

Childbirth SPAM? I recommend
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Dekana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »

Yeah, that really annoys me too. Luckily, you can turn off the pause and re-center actions for the different announcements.

In Dwarf Fortress/data/init/announcements.txt, replace the birth_citizen line with:
[BIRTH_CITIZEN:A_D:D_D]

Source: wiki
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:57:02 pm by Dekana »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:01:16 pm »

Also, why do people hang out on training spears like it's an awesome place to be? My military gets depressed at seeing all the baby corpses.
This is actually a really good thing. Judging from the spears and corpses you are using danger rooms and the mommies bring their meatshields with them.

Danger rooms train dwarves really fast and thus give a huge boost in their happiness from the skillups and this neutralizes the unhappy thoughts from dead babies.
Losing pets/children and being in the same room with rotting corpses also helps your militia getting used to tragedy which is useful since they might get unhappy thoughts from ie. dieing militia members if they socialize too much.

The possible injured children also help keep your hospital staff busy and well trained.
..The possible downside is a tantrumming legendary axedwarfette who just lost her baby after using it to block a spear. :o
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:01:44 pm »

Are there any mothers in your squad that trains in the danger room? They bring the baby with them, even into combat. Also, if you set your child population cap to double zero then no babies will ever be born. Kid migrants will still arrive, though.

azach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:38 pm »

Yeah, that really annoys me too. Luckily, you can turn off the pause and re-center actions for the different announcements.

In Dwarf Fortress/data/init/announcements.txt, replace the birth_citizen line with:
[BIRTH_CITIZEN:A_D:D_D]

Source: wiki

Thanks much for that. I briefly checked the wiki under reports but that wasn't the spot.

Regarding danger room and military gender, I use an all male military. I've been trying to pick squad members based on healing rate and disease resistance, since other stats can be trained. I don't know if there's a cap or not, but the speed at which danger rooms work I was figuring on maxing them on all native weapon types and seeing what their str/agi/end/etc looks like at the end.

For whatever reason my danger room is always full of empty barrels (and baby corpses). It seems like non-military dwarves grab an ale barrel and treat it as a bar. Not sure why. I haven't gotten around to designating alcohol stockpiles on each heavily used Z-level yet, though I do have a dining room. Hoping the problem goes away once I get some more meeting halls, statue gardens, etc. set up. But for now the baby corpses show up either due to laborers trying to cart off the empty barrels, or the people dragging the ale barrels there to start with.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:31:48 pm »

Regarding danger room and military gender, I use an all male military. I've been trying to pick squad members based on healing rate and disease resistance, since other stats can be trained.
High agility is always desirable though. The racial average for dwarves is low, and any differences in movement speed can be nullified by making the dwarves gather somewhere safe before rushing a few tiles to the enemy.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.