Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coin Fortress.  (Read 3177 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Coin Fortress.
« on: July 30, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

I was wondering, has anyone ever devoted an entire fortress to the manufacture of coins and gems? Making no other trade items but those?

Right now I have about 30k coins in a vault, along with a plethora of high value crafts, and large gems appropriated from caravans. Before I hit fps death I hope to get around a million coins, that'd make me happy.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coin Fortress.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:09:56 pm »

That could be a good challenge and competition. Have a race to see who can make the most coins before FPS drops below 10 :). Wouldn't work cause computers are different speeds, but hey, still fun.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:09:56 pm »

Well, not en exclusive coin fort, but I do produce them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »

Coins don't really have all that much trade value since they don't have quality levels. Gems are a much better bet where trade is concerned, especially if you have a skilled Gem Setter as decorations really make the value of a given item skyrocket.

Far as minting a million coins go, it'd require 2,000 jobs, which isn't all that hard if you have magma forges/smelters and a lot of metals on the map.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:58 pm »

I don't think coins will cause ridiculous FPS death, as each stack is only really one item for the game to track. Obviously it'll still decline, when you've got thousands of stacks, but not any more than other items.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:24 pm »

Can't we have a succession fort where the goal is to make as many coins in each year as possible. Seems like a pretty decent competion to me  :P
After a few rounds we'd have these massive vaults flowing over with riches :)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 04:02:31 pm »

When I tried to trade coins once I couldn't find them on the list for hauling to depot, but they were there in the fort. Haven't really tried anything like that since.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:10:53 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:20:36 pm »

When I tried to trade coins once I couldn't find them on the list for hauling to depot, but they were there in the fort. Haven't really tried anything like that since.
use the search function to find stuff that falls between the categorical cracks. Also good for finding roasts and totems quickly.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:23:40 pm »

what do coins do?
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »

what do coins do?
There used to be an economy in the game, it's still around sort of in adventure mode.

Coins used to be pretty good throwing weapons.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »

Can't we have a succession fort where the goal is to make as many coins in each year as possible. Seems like a pretty decent competion to me  :P
After a few rounds we'd have these massive vaults flowing over with riches :)

Wouldn't work as a succession fort, since each time caravans arrive, there would be more dwarves to make coins. Except if you isolate the fortress and make all of the starter seven males.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »

I thought coins tended to "pass straight through". But yeah, if you want to do that challenge, I recommend generating a fairly long history first, to make coins more interesting.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 05:11:20 pm »

I thought coins tended to "pass straight through". But yeah, if you want to do that challenge, I recommend generating a fairly long history first, to make coins more interesting.
I'm almost as lazy as I'm slow, I simply suggested it hoping that someone else would find it as intriguing as I did and do all the work for me. :P

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:44 pm »

I'm currently at 740 in worldgen, so I'm tempted now to make a set of coins each year. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:43:51 pm »

I've got 18,000 coins of all metals so far, ready for trade splitting and remelting if caravans ever return. They're also quite nice to look at.
Pages: [1] 2