Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78125 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)
« Reply #870 on: September 05, 2012, 01:40:24 am »

@Scriver - Yes indeed. First questions: Do you have access to your router? If not, can you talk to someone who does?

Yes, I do. Yes, but I might come of as slightly insane.

Ah, poor Baneling wasted a feat then. :(

Thank god for respec?
Love, scriver~

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 05, 2012, 03:52:51 am »

There may be a house rule that I am missing, but:
Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).
Note, however, that you generally have to cast the spell one time per day spent casting. A sorcerer could use Use Magic Device and a wand of barkskin to craft an amulet of natural armour +5, but it would require 1 casting per day for 50 days and unless your use magic device skill is very high, it would likely cost multiple wands... If you had a druid, though, at least according to the S.R.D., it wouldn't be an issue.
Spell
The indicated amount is how much it costs to get a spellcaster to cast a spell for you. This cost assumes that you can go to the spellcaster and have the spell cast at his or her convenience (generally at least 24 hours later, so that the spellcaster has time to prepare the spell in question). If you want to bring the spellcaster somewhere to cast a spell you need to negotiate with him or her, and the default answer is no.

The cost given is for a spell with no cost for a material component or focus component and no XP cost. If the spell includes a material component, add the cost of that component to the cost of the spell.

If the spell has a focus component (other than a divine focus), add 1/10 the cost of that focus to the cost of the spell. If the spell has an XP cost, add 5 gp per XP lost.

Furthermore, if a spell has dangerous consequences, the spellcaster will certainly require proof that you can and will pay for dealing with any such consequences (that is, assuming that the spellcaster even agrees to cast such a spell, which isn’t certain). In the case of spells that transport the caster and characters over a distance, you will likely have to pay for two castings of the spell, even if you aren’t returning with the caster.

In addition, not every town or village has a spellcaster of sufficient level to cast any spell. In general, you must travel to a small town (or larger settlement) to be reasonably assured of finding a spellcaster capable of casting 1st-level spells, a large town for 2nd-level spells, a small city for 3rd- or 4th-level spells, a large city for 5th- or 6th-level spells, and a metropolis for 7th- or 8th-level spells. Even a metropolis isn’t guaranteed to have a local spellcaster able to cast 9th-level spells.
Spells typically cost (spell level) x (caster level) x 10gp...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:23 am »

About to do some leveling up, but I can't seem to find the page which shows what levels everyone gets feats at, how much XP it takes to level etc, on the SRD. :-\ Anyone mind linking me to that?

(Almost typoed 'SRD' as STD...)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 05, 2012, 04:41:01 am »

Don't know about XP, but you get feats in base 3 (3,6,9,12 etc), Bonus attribute in base 4, and any class related bonuses can be seen on the class page.
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 05, 2012, 08:04:16 am »

There may be a house rule that I am missing, but:
Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).

Well, that's a relief. O-o
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 05, 2012, 07:55:38 pm »

Does anybody know how templates with the LA not listed work? I want to try out the Phantom template (from MM5), but it just says --- where the LA should be.
That depends. Most templates without level adjustment have hit die, which means you're basically taking levels in that race. You gain some base attack bonus and hit die, which makes it better than LA, but there's usually a whole lot more of it. (Minotaurs have 6 racial hit die, for example.)

After thoroughly checking the template for things I may have missed, I can say with reasonable certainty that it doesn't include any monster levels. Given how the LA isn't an actual number, I'm not sure how to proceed. Am I allowed to take the template, or...?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 05, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

Oh sweet bajeezus, you're pulling stuff from Monster Manual 5? They ran out of fucks to give halfway through the fourth. There are stats for a hobgoblin duskblade. There's an elemental made from a broken-down building. A skeletal snake made of linked human ribcages and a grinning skull. There's something called a 'magmacore' golem. They're magma golems from MM3.... but with armor. For fucks sake, they decided that a freaking force golem was a good idea.

"Hey Dave, how about we make a monster out of invisible and invincible stuff? That'll be hard to find and hard to kill!"
"Sure thing, Jesse! But we'd best make it a golem too, so that it's immune to magic!"
"Hey, how is anyone going to even hurt this thing if it's made of an explicitly unbreakable not-substance?"
"I dunno. Pass the cocaine, bro!"

That aside, they probably should have put level adjustment on there similar to a ghost. (Though phantom is a bit stronger.) I would personally not allow this template for a player character. There's just too much that can be done with the ability to walk through walls at will. If Scelly decides to allow it, here's my recommended level adjustment: +3. (Arguably +4, comparing it to some of the weaker +4 templates)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 05, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »

So I'm guessing that will translate to either a 'No' from Scelly or a 'Yes, but only if you're crippled for life.' Oh, well; it was worth a shot.

And yeah, even with my lack of knowledge about absurd monsters, the book smacked of grabbing at straws for content.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 05, 2012, 08:47:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking no on that one.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 05, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »

In that case, I have a character sheet to be looked over for approval: Erik Coventry the Gish.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 05, 2012, 11:09:38 pm »

Just so you all know, I already have ports forwarded and I'm ready to host. However, my internet still does go down intermittently, and I may still be unable to join all of you. I can't this saturday, for example, but I can host.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 05, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »

@Araph: Ahh, my current gish char is going to be outgished! D:
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 05, 2012, 11:43:39 pm »

The hell is a gish? And Araph, didn't you already have a character?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #883 on: September 06, 2012, 05:45:43 am »

Let's see...

Uh... (1) When are these games held? (@) Is there a story all planned out and set by the GMs? (#) Any space left for a nostalgia-filled GM? xD (%) Or maybe a volunteer host for half the length of the normal 4 hour session, only on weekendstm.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 06, 2012, 06:33:07 am »

We start around 18:00 GMT Saturdays and Sundays. As for the rest, I'm not sure. I ain't the GM :P
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 74