Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78184 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)
« Reply #795 on: August 29, 2012, 11:50:51 pm »

I think this is what Barb is trying to help rule out. Not self-hurting with melee attacks or the physical characters will be even more nerfed.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 30, 2012, 12:00:36 am »

Yeah, when a melee critfails from now on, I'm going to roll a die. Only a second one will actually cause self damage, and reduced at that.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 30, 2012, 12:04:16 am »

Unless they're sword-chucks, right? Then it only takes a single roll of 1, and they do double damage. :P

Also, I remember my old DnD game had a critfail chart, with various bad results.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 30, 2012, 12:11:24 am »

An archer typically won't hit a wall that they are using for cover either, but may well hit a wall that their target is using for cover. The problem arises when things are moving quickly which isn't really modelled well in a turn-taking system... Another option is to assume that if you miss by four or less then the cover made the difference and should therefore be subject to the attack, but if you do that then it punishes near-misses more than obscene-misses...
Removing the concept of completely exhausting your spells is significant and should not be taken lightly. A 16th level caster in that system could cast fireball all day and scorching ray for the rest of the week, this removes the great disadvantage of high-level casters which is that they can't do anything without expending limited resources. If you want to kill a fighter then you throw a single tough encounter at them, if you want to kill a caster then you summon stuff to attack them at 2 hour intervals for a week, eventually they will be trying to fight off a dozen raging celestial badgers with a rusty knife... Record the footage from your scrying device and sell it to the fighters guild... Note also that anything free can be used constantly, A cleric can wear an amulet of wisdom and cast bear's endurance on themselves once every 5 minutes, healing becomes a non-issue with unlimited cure minor wounds, a caster with a wand of lesser restoration can cure themselves of exhaustion and keep casting top-level spells for as long as they have charges and roll 20s on their saves, this may cost a lot of time to be done in combat, but it could be used in conjunction with summoning spells and such to cause no end of grief...
 The whole thing is very incongruous with the D20 system. It has a table which needs to be looked up, the vast majority if tables in D20 follow simple mathematical rules so the whole thing does not need to be memorised. The system references the ability score instead of the ability bonus, this is extremely odd. I do not see how the table is generated and therefore do not know how to generate a table for different classes, such as rangers and bards... If it followed a more consistent system, such as one based upon halving the cost every four levels(cantrips would, as usual, be treated as half a spell...) 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0... but that wouldn't satisfy the system because the system is completely arbitrary... And lets not forget that basing spell-casting directly on the ability score makes it even more important than it was before. At 20th level you would have 10 spell points from levels, you almost certainly 'start' with more than that from your ability score, it will likely take you until about level 100 for class levels(not caster levels for some reason...) to be as relevant to spells per day as your ability score.
At 1st level a wizard with 18 intelligence gets 2 magic missiles and 3 acid splashes, with the mana system  they would have 2 magic missiles and 1 acid splash, 1 magic missile and 3 acid splashes, or 6 acid splashes, so the notoriously brief 1st level wizard has even fewer spells...
 Unlimited availability of true strike, invisibility, cure wounds, shield, grease, empowered ray of enfeeblement, any summoning spell, would all be ridiculous, a level 19 wizard could use extended summon monster II to flood an entire dungeon with celestial badgers. The shield spell would become permanent at level 15. At level 8 detect magic becomes permanent outside of combat and literally EVERYTHING is a light-source up to and including the paladin's cod-piece and all those random pebbles on the ground that were picked up by the gelatinous cube that has been following the party...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 30, 2012, 06:27:17 am »

Fair enough. I'm quite happy to use the normal system. Is there anything else I need to add to the sheet, or is it good as-is?

No melee weapon? Not even a dagger?
Love, scriver~

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:05 am »

Bows count as melee weapons! Hitting someone with a bow is the same as hitting people with a stick.

Other casters do it, why can't I do it and get extra use out of it, too? :P
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 30, 2012, 11:17:22 am »

Bows count as melee weapons! Hitting someone with a bow is the same as hitting people with a stick.
Continue with that line of thinking, and your "stick" is going to break.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 30, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

If the GM approves, there's a weapon variant in Races of the Wild called 'Elvencraft' that reinforces a bow enough it can be used as a club/quarterstaff.

Of course, true Elven cities are stated to be very rare in our world, so it might be hard to find one...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 30, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »

I guess he could try to always have one of those weapon-summoning/creating spells ready... Arcanists get those too, right?
Love, scriver~

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 30, 2012, 04:36:33 pm »

Of course, true Elven cities are stated to be very rare in our world, so it might be hard to find one...

Is there information on the world, somewhere? I guess having that to see would be convenient for cases like this.

Also, as asked before, what kind of time are sessions? Is it basically down to whenever a DM and sufficient players are available?
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 30, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

Also, as asked before, what kind of time are sessions?
18:00 GMT on Saturday and Sunday. Read the first post for world info.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 30, 2012, 11:24:48 pm »

The server will be up at the usual time tomorrow, but first someone has to clear this up for me:

The games are at 18:00 GMT. I live in GMT -8. I put the server up by 10:00. People join said server, and say the game's not up for another hour. Am I off my rocker, or is there a mass hallucination going on? I don't mind putting it up early, but I'm just confused. When it's 6:00 PM on the Prime Meridian, it's supposed to be 10 AM here. What's up with that?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 30, 2012, 11:26:33 pm »

Daylight Saving Time, I assume.

Also, did you mean the day after tomorrow? Because I'm pretty sure I'm in the same time zone as you, and tomorrow is Friday, not Saturday.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 30, 2012, 11:27:28 pm »

Yes, he means Saturday.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 31, 2012, 12:17:08 am »

Yeah, Saturday. I get a bit mixed up on days of the week after a few months without weekends.  :P

Is there DST elsewhere in the world at the moment? Because to my knowledge it wasn't going to take effect here in the US for a few months yet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 74