Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78152 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)
« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:39 pm »

I had a GM give us an astral diamond in loot...which we then had to turn over to renovate our new castle :P

Oh, since I forgot to answer the question earlier, I'm fine with pretty much any time on the weekends, these two
Code: [Select]
Sunday 0:00 through 3:00 (which happens to be Saturday 16:00-19:00 for me in GMT -8)

Sundays 20:00-22:00 (Sunday 12:00-14:00 in GMT -8).
being the best for me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »

How many hours on average does one session take?

Preferable time for me would be on Fridays or Saturdays 21:00-24:00(GMT), however any other day would fit for those same times, although if it is not Friday or Saturday, I would prefer if the session would end before 3:00 GMT(00:00 local time), because of job/school.

EDIT:Also fix'd character sheet.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:19:49 pm by anzki4 »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »

According to the poll, roughly four hours.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2012, 12:19:43 pm »

As for equipment, I suggest everyone have at least the following.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Adventurer's_Kit,_Standard_(3.5e_Equipment)

Having a source of Light and Fire is important, even if you can see in the dark. Food isn't usually extremely vital to have-then again I've never had a D&D session that actually used travelling rules and encounters-but having at least 7 days is good for any emergency the GM might throw at you.

Also, I suggest everyone carry a Dagger or similar small weapon. If you get grappled or swallowed, you won't be able to use your larger, main weapons, and it's handy for utility. Also, spread out your damage types if you're a warrior type-try to have a source of slashing/bludgeon/piercing damage. That will make sure you're prepared against most low level DR's.

@Barb: I could honestly do any of those days, or multiples. It's all free time for me.
@Anzki4: Yeah, from my past experience, 4 hours is a good meaty session, but the GM should weigh in. Mine occasionally went longer if everyone was having fun. :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:22:49 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2012, 12:20:36 pm »

I've seen sessions as short as 3 hours, but most take 4-5. A few campaigns that meet once a week like to go for 6-8 hours, but more than 6 is very rare. It's up to Hanslanda and Scelly9.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2012, 12:21:43 pm »

Also, I suggest everyone carry a Dagger or similar small weapon. If you get grappled or swallowed, you won't be able to use your larger, main weapons, and it's handy for utility. Also, spread out your damage types if you're a warrior type-try to have a source of slashing/bludgeon/piercing damage. That will make sure you're prepared against most low level DR's.
That's a good idea, actually.
* Sirus adds to character sheet

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:04 pm »

Going through the sheets, it would appear that Scriver's dwarf is ludicrously short. For reference, dwarves are medium sized, just like humans. (Though on the shorter end, their bulk makes up for it.) Female dwarves tend to be between 3'9" and 4'3". Their weights tend to be between 112 and 196 pounds. I don't generally mind players taking liberties with such stats instead of rolling for them, but staying in the same size class is preferable as being so small will actually change your mechanical abilities. (Smaller creatures have more AC, are worse at grappling, are easier to carry when unconscious, etc.)

Your current stats would make you a waif of a bearded gnome.

That's because she's a halfling. With a beard. I filled it in wrongly by mistake, but it's fixed now. I'm also pretty sure this fixes the attributes issue.

I still have questions that needs answering, though:
1, Where do I see how much a mule can pull (Is it the same as for characters, just based on STR?)?
1½, Relatedly, how much can I put in a cart (or a wagon)?
2, What would be the cost of a woodaxe/handaxe (the tool, not the weapon), or a hatchet?
3, What about pipes and tobacco (or whatever weed they smoke here)? I need pipes and smoking grass!

And also important:
2 4, Could we implement some sort of HP-gain bottom cap so our characters don't roll 1 several times in a row? A lot of us are newbies, after all.
Love, scriver~

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »

A mule is a large quadruped. Take its strength, calculate its capacity as if it were a medium biped like yourself. Multiply it by two for the size increase, and multiply it by four for being a quadruped. (8x what a human of equivalent strength could carry.)

You can put as much in a cart as would fit according to that table I posted a while ago. Weight and volume wise.

A handaxe costs 6gp and does 1d6 damage when medium-sized, according to the weapons table on the SRD. (It can be used as a weapon without counting as an improvised weapon, so it's listed there.)

As for pipes and tobacco, as the other DMs about its availability. I would guess a pipe would cost around 1gp and tobacco would cost 1sp per use, about.

As for the HP gain bottom cap, it shouldn't come into play much. If a character has too little health later, it can be dealt with. (Though note that even with a natural 1 and negative CON mod, you are guaranteed at least 1 hp per level.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2012, 12:51:33 pm »

I think I did my math wrong last night when figuring out what times I could show up, so I'll just... fix that.

Also, doing some minor revisions to my character sheet since I don't trust my midnight-self to make the best decisions.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »

2 4, Could we implement some sort of HP-gain bottom cap so our characters don't roll 1 several times in a row? A lot of us are newbies, after all.

Some Homerules in my last game gave all starting chars +10 bonus Health, and I'm sure you start with your max HP at start.

Aside from that, one could also choose to just take average HP every level, or risk it with a roll. <--Edit: this was the rule in my last game, not standard from what I know.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:55:22 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2012, 12:55:28 pm »

You can put as much in a cart as would fit according to that table I posted a while ago. Weight and volume wise.

Ah, I didn't see that post. Looking back to find it now. Also, thanks for the rest of the answers.

medium biped like yourself

I'm still a halfling! :P
Love, scriver~

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »

Some Homerules in my last game gave all starting chars +10 bonus Health, and I'm sure you start with your max HP at start.

Aside from that, one could also choose to just take average HP every level, or risk it with a roll. <--Edit: this was the rule in my last game, not standard from what I know.

There are a buttload of house rules relating to HP. One that I've used is that you reroll your entire HP every new level, taking the better of the two, your old one or the new one. For example, at Level 1 you roll 1d6 HP and add +1 per die for CON. You roll {6}, +1 per die, makes 7 HP. At Level 2 you roll 2d6 +2, and get {1,5} +2 means 8 HP. You compare the 7 HP you have to your new roll of 8 HP, and take the 8. This method effectively erases especially low HP rolls from earlier levels and you end up with higher HP scores on average. For monsters, roll the HP and then if the number is awfully low, reroll as if 1 HD lower and compare. This is largely the same result as if you had rolled for it as if it were 1 HD, then 2 HD, etc. up to its full HD. It means monster HP are also above average.

Generally, though, low HP aren't a problem. High stats can make up for poor play, and poor stats can add difficulty, but in general your player skill matters more. And: you know how you don't get better at something unless you do it? You don't become a good runner by driving everywhere? Playing a powerful character might stunt your development of player skill since you can rely on the character's strength instead of your player qualities. Losing a PC can be a good learning experience!

I guess what I'm saying is, if you roll 1 for HP at first level, it doesn't mean you can't survive or even flourish. Your careful decisions could save your life when you might just bust in there carelessly with a 10 HP character and get blasted.

EDIT: An early edition of D&D had a HP rule that might have been interepreted to mean that you reroll your HP before every adventure. You know how some days you're just bursting with energy and others you can't be assed to get out of bed?

The 1st edition Unearthed Arcana had a rule for minimum starting HP based on class, which prevented 1 HP PCs, and the rule may have made its way into later editions of D&D.

I've also done a training rule, where if you self-train for your new level you have to roll HP but if you pay for a trainer you get MAX HP. Training was pretty expensive though, 1500 GP x current level.

I find the main difference in games where people have average 3.5 HP per level, vs. 10 HP per level (and monsters are equivalent in any case) is that fights just take longer to reach the same result.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:37:01 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »

Oh, and I forgot this before:

@Reudh - Sorry bro, but it's hard to squeeze so many people into this. Luckily, first one the waitlist means you have a pretty good shot at making it in.

I think freeformschooler dropped out earlier:

Actually I think I may wussy out of this one too. I'm just not flexible enough for Maptool games usually. Play by posts are way better (though infinitely slower) right now.
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »

So I'm assuming that we're not gonna run around in a sixteen-member group. Who gets to decide party composition and stuff?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2012, 02:45:14 pm »

Which moves the waitlist up one! Thanks for that, scriver.

@LeoLeonardoIII, Dwarmin, and Others - I tend to agree with Leonardo here, in that the HP doesn't matter so much as what you do with your character. If you decide to piss off a dragon at point blank range at this level, it doesn't matter whether you have 9 or 19 HP, it's gonna hurt. (The -10 buffer before death helps with this somewhat.) We'll go with standard HP gain.

@Sirus - You'll be running around in two groups that are nominally 8 members apiece. I doubt, from past experience, that everyone will make every session, or that everyone will stay in the game. I would guess that there will be about 6 members per party per session. You can either roll dice to decide which party you're in after the first couple training sessions, or you can just pick a DM. It should be fairly equal in number, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74