Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78070 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the basic overview and a very poorly drawn map.

This is a very general description of the tech level. Dwarven cities are assumed to have technology to just below gunpowder, but using magic in lieu of complex mechanical devices to make things work. Dwarves themselves are assumed to adhere to human technological rules in current (in-game) times, without being near as numerous. No steampunk/priests of Gond/gunpowder. :P

Edit: You're doing fine, Putnam. I believe Wizards start with 80 gp, we'll worry about the familiar cost later.
And the currency is the same as base DnD. Gold coins, silver coins, copper coins. If you're feeling really fancy, you can get platinum coins. :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:04:54 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2012, 11:08:29 pm »

Anyone explain what a backpack does? Does it increase the amount you can carry or something?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »

@Sirus - yes, waterskins can be refilled, unless you stab a hole in them or something. (Profession: Sewing would fix that, though.)

@Realmfighter - You'd have to be bluffing an object to be more or less valuable than it actually is, which would be opposed by sense motive or an appraise check. Alternatively, you could use diplomacy to directly convince them to give you a better deal. Intimidate is a dangerous but also possibly successful options. Social encounters depend more on your words than your rolls, so it really depends on the DM's decisions.

@TherosPherae - Wow! I didn't realize that that had been omitted from both the SRD and the 3.5 PHB. Here's the 3.0 chart, which we'll use since it wasn't updated. It's a little mangled, but I just scanned it from my hardcopy.

Table 7-8: Containers and Carriers
Hauling Vehicles
Item    | Cost   | Weight          | Holds or Carries
Card     15 gp    200 pounds      1/2 ton
Sled     20 gp    300 pounds      1 ton
Wagon 35 gp    400 pounds      2 tons

Dry Goods
Item         Cost      Weight *         Holds or Carries
Backpack      2 gp      2 pounds **   1 cubic foot
Barrel         2 gp      30 pounds           10 cubic feet
Basket      4 sp      1 pound      2 cubic feet
Bucket      5 sp      2 pounds           1 cubic foot
Chest         2 gp      25 pounds           2 cubic feet
Belt Pouch      1 gp      1/2 pound **   1/5th cubic foot
Sack         1 sp      1/2 pound **   1 cubic foot
Saddlebags      4 gp      8 pounds           5 cubic feet
Spell Component Pouch   5 gp      1/4 pound **   1/8th cubic foot

Liquids
Item         Cost      Weight *   Holds or Carries
Glass Wine Bottle   2 gp      ***      1 & 1/2 pints
Flask         3 cp      ***      1 pint
Clay Jug      3 cp      1 pound      1 gallon
Clay Mug/Tankard   2 cp      ***      1 pint
Clay Pitcher      2 cp      1 pound      1/2 gallon
Iron Pot      5 sp      2 pounds   1 gallon
Ink/Potion Vial      1 gp      ***      1 ounce
Waterskin      1 gp      ***      1/2 gallon
* Empty weight
** These items weigh one-quarter this amount and carry one-quarter
the normal amount when made for Small characters
*** No weight worth noting

NINJAS: I'll respond to Putnam's character in a sec. For Sirus, just refer to this table. It means you don't have to carry your rations in your hands instead of holding your weapons, for one.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2012, 11:19:59 pm »

@TherosPherae - Wow! I didn't realize that that had been omitted from both the SRD and the 3.5 PHB. Here's the 3.0 chart, which we'll use since it wasn't updated. It's a little mangled, but I just scanned it from my hardcopy.

-table-
Um. Everything I have only has a weight, and that lists storage in terms of volume for backpacks and such. So... am I going to have to calculate the density of everything I want to put into my backpack to make sure it all fits? Or are we going to go with the age-old "fudge it and go with something that seems reasonable"?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »

I have no idea what I should but with my money. I got a dagger. I still have 118 gold left. Halp.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:42 pm »

Are there any restrictions preventing characters from having multiple containers at once (backpack, belt pouch, sack)?

@ Realm: Don't spellcasters need components or something?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2012, 11:23:08 pm »

Is it on a per-spell or per-class basis, if so?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2012, 11:32:47 pm »

I have no idea what I should but with my money. I got a dagger. I still have 118 gold left. Halp.

As Sirus says, you may need a spell component pouch. Backpack, bedroll, maybe a torch and some rations might be a good idea too. There's a bunch of adventuring equipment (like rope) that is versatile and useful for far more than you might suspect.
Like rope. For example, you can tie someone up, tie something down, tow something, climb across a gap, use it to swing across a gap, use it to lock a door, use it as a delayed fuse, and etc. Just get some things that seem reasonably useful to you.

Are there any restrictions preventing characters from having multiple containers at once (backpack, belt pouch, sack)?

@ Realm: Don't spellcasters need components or something?

No. You can have a backpack, belt pouch, and a sack. You can also carry like four more backpacks inside your backpack, but that wouldn't do you a whole lot of good.

Yes they do.

Is it on a per-spell or per-class basis, if so?

Per spell I believe. Most spells list what they require, if anything.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2012, 11:33:37 pm »

Money-sink item listing time!
1. Rope
2. Cooking Items
3. Food
4. Mules
5. Horses
6. Torches
7. Spear
8. Crowbar
9. Hand-axe
10. Rope
11. Trowel
12. Shovel
13. Canvas Bags
14. Tongs
15. Hammer
16. Nails
17. Torture Implements
18. Several Six-inch Iron Spikes\
19. Rope
20. Block and Tackle
21. Oars
22. More Spears
23. Hand Crossbow
24. Shovel
25. Wooden Boxes
26. Extra Water-proof Cloth
27. A wagon
28. Cushioning to put in boxes with fragile things
29. Rope
30. Alcohol
31. Rags
32. Oil
And finally, number 33, Rope.

(Please note, these items may or may not be entirely useless and/or save the entire group from certain death via falling rocks)
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2012, 11:35:11 pm »

@Putnam - You should use the calculator for point buy. From my quick check, that's a point buy of 39, when it should have a total point cost of 28. Aside from that, it looks like you know an incorrect number of spells. At level 1, you should know all the cantrips (level 0 spells), 3 1st level spells (+1 per intelligence modifier. 17 is +3, meaning a total of 6 1st level spells.)

Your save DCs at each level are 10+the spell level+your Int modifier. Meaning that with your current stats (that need to be changed) your DC for 0-level spells is 13, and 1st level spells have a DC of 14. As a 1st level wizard, you cast 3 0-level spells per day and 1 1st level spell. With a modifier of +3, you gain an extra 1st level spell for a total of 3x 0-level spells and 2x 1st-level spells. All in all, not a bad attempt. When redoing your stats, I recommend going with a solid 16 in intelligence. It's important for wizards, and you only boost the modifier on even numbers. 18's a little high for 28 point buy, so 16 should do nicely. (While letting you keep the same spell count and DCs that I posted.)

@Ninja TherosPherae - If a sword seems like it'd be four feet long, it doesn't fit in a backpack. A ten-foot pole does not fit in a backpack. A holy symbol would fit. A jar of Universal Solvent would fit. Just be reasonable.

@Ninja Realmfighter - Look at the goods and services page on the SRD. Rope is always useful, and other items may come in handy. Rations and water? Also...

@Ninja Sirus - ...you'll want a spell component pouch so that you don't have to scavenge for bat shit and the like. It lets you use any component that costs less than one gold for free. You may only carry a reasonable number of bags, and no more than your max load can be crammed into them.

@Ninja Putnam - It does depend on the spell, and some classes get to ignore it. (But none of the ones we're using, fortunately!) It should be listed in the spell description on the SRD.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »

Rope is on this list three times. I approve. Also, spears are on there twice, which is a good sign. And most of the things listed can serve as torture implements if you get a little creative.

Ninja'd.
He's fucking with us.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2012, 11:40:30 pm »

Rope is on this list three times. I approve. Also, spears are on there twice, which is a good sign. And most of the things listed can serve as torture implements if you get a little creative.

Ninja'd.
Yeah, that book I mentioned earlier is awesome. Seriously, if you have the money, buy it.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:11 pm »

Torture implements? :o
Aaaaaanyway...here's what I've got so far:

Rapier
Whip
Padded Clothing (light armor)
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and Steel
2 Belt Pouches
10 rations
2 hempen ropes
Sack
5 torches
2 water skins
Lute
Spell component pouch (was auto-selected for me, despite being a bard. Weird.)
Pet Owl (25gp)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:00 pm »

Bards cast spells. They're like really shitty sorceror/rogues that can buff you with the power of power ballads. :P
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74