Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78057 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »

@Sirus: If you mean what I think you mean, there are several different Perform skill slots so you can specify your own, right?
Oh, skillpoints, no idea. :-\

Also, I did a sheet, going to start popping it into Mythweavers when I get back to my computer.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »

You only really ever need one perform skill, barring extraordinarily obscure prestige classes like Warrior Skald that require perform (poetry) or Dervish, which requires perform (dance). If you aren't aiming for anything specific, bards are about the only thing that need to put ranks in any of them. (If you want to play a lute, go for strings. If you want to play a flute, go for woodwinds. Et cetera, et cetera.) Remember that you can only put your level +3 ranks in a skill at a time (4 at this level.). You have to spend twice as many points to get a bonus in a skill that is not a class skill for your class. (IE: Knowledge (Arcana) for a fighter.) So a fighter would spend the maximum 4 points to get a +2 bonus.

So, level one, 28 point buy, complete ____ ask for, pathguy/mythweavers preferred, right?
Yep.

1): I'm having a bit of trouble with the Pathfinder generator. I'm not sure what the deal is with "Prestige Classes" section is for, or if I even need to worry about it for a level 1 character. If it's entirely optional, I will skip it (unless it offers more pwnage).
2): I'm pretty sure that I'm not allowed to have a familiar as a bard, but could I have some sort of pet? For some reason, I want an owl.
Bards don't get familiars, but there's nothing wrong with buying a pet owl. (It'd probably cost about as much as a dog.) It wouldn't talk to you, gain familiar abilities, or anything, but it'd have feathers and hoot a bit.

Ignore prestige classes for now. They work like normal classes, except you have to have certain skills and whatnot to qualify to take a level in them. Beyond the scope of a level 1 character.

NINJA EDIT: You start with zero points allocated, but you have different skill points depending on your class. Rogues, for example, get (8 + Int modifier) ×4 skill points at level 1, and 8 + Int modifier after that. So if a rogue had 12 intelligence (and therefore a +1 bonus) he would start with 36 skill points at level 1. At level 2, he would allocate another 9.

Humans are the exception for races. They get a bonus 4 skill points at level one and an additional point at every level thereafter, meaning that a human rogue with 12 intelligence would start with 40 points and gain 10 every level. (Most classes get less than rogues.)

With 40 skill points, he could max out 10 skills at first level, and then each level afterwards spend 10 points keeping them at the maximum or fall off some of them in order to put more ranks in new skills. Or he could spread out his points more at first level, and focus later. It's up to you.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:12 pm »

Bards don't get familiars, but there's nothing wrong with buying a pet owl. (It'd probably cost about as much as a dog.) It wouldn't talk to you, gain familiar abilities, or anything, but it'd have feathers and hoot a bit.
That's fine. I just a reasonably intelligent pet owl (can recognize me, can follow simple commands like "here!"). It would be a small owl, so it could feed itself but not be a source of free food for the party. Nothing game-breaking or providing unfair advantages. If needed, I am willing to take at least one rank in Handle Animal.

As for Perform, I will just stick with string instruments. I want to sing and play, but looking at the ranks needed to do more powerful things, the point cost for two different Perform skills would be prohibitive.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like Handle Animal would be required. Well, so much for making unneeded sacrifice :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:54:30 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »

That's fine. I just a reasonably intelligent pet owl (can recognize me, can follow simple commands like "here!"). It would be a small owl, so it could feed itself but not be a source of free food for the party. Nothing game-breaking or providing unfair advantages. If needed, I am willing to take at least one rank in Handle Animal.
Any small animal can be free food for the party  :P
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2012, 08:57:27 pm »

Any small animal can be free food for the party  :P
Keep in mind, when I say "small owl" I mean
Spoiler: Small Owl (click to show/hide)
It won't be catching anything much bigger than mice :P

EDIT: Waitasecond...you are NOT gonna be eating my pet owl! D:
EDITSQUARED: For the record, I started writing my edit before the below poster.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:00:55 pm by Sirus »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2012, 08:59:08 pm »

He meant we could eat it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2012, 09:00:50 pm »

Here's my mostly completed sheet. Still could add equipment/RP, I guess.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428916

I think I'll also take slot for intelligent bird companions.

Mine will actually be able to speak common. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2012, 09:01:07 pm »

EDIT: Waitasecond...you are NOT gonna be eating my pet owl! D:
Mwahahahaha

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2012, 09:05:32 pm »

Just a small request of the GM here: My rogue wields kukris, and has spent most of his time with weapons using them. So, do you mind allowing me to take weapon finesse for kukri? IRL, they aren't THAT big, after all, and Jax has 12 strength.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »

Depending on what Hans says, I'm leaning toward yes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2012, 09:07:33 pm »

Handle Animal has a list of DCs needed for training your owl to do tricks. (Such as coming when called, following you, looking for things, etc.) According to my DMG, a dog is 25gp, so we'll go with that price for an owl, too.

Battle sorcerer, eh? They can be fun. (If anyone's wondering what that is, it's technically from Unearthed Arcana. It's in the SRD, though, under alternate class features. Those are open too, since they are small changes. Battle Sorcerer is just a sorcerer with less spells and more melee capabilities.)

Which reminds me: armor usually has an arcane spell failure chance ranging from as low as 5% to as high as 75%, depending on the armor. This only applies to arcane spells, meaning you're fine if you're casting divine spells like a cleric or druid spells* like a... druid. That's the percent chance you have of simply failing to have an effect with the spell despite using the slot. Even if you're proficient with the armor, you retain the spell failure chance unless you have a certain class feature that ignores it. (Like bards and battle sorcerers do for light armor.)

*While druids aren't prohibited from wearing heavy armor, they are still prohibited from wearing metal armor. So, unless you can get yourself some darkwood plate, you're basically limited to the medium leather armors or lighter.

NINJA-EDIT for Doomblade187: Kukri are light weapons, and that's all you need for weapon finesse. Go for it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2012, 09:11:28 pm »

Alright, I'll take four points in Handle Animal. If (as I'm going to be roleplaying) I raised this owl from a hatchling, I better make sure it listens to me, right? :P

Is it normal for bards to take a lot of skills like Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Bluff? As a half-elf, it seems that I get bonuses to the first two in any case.

ETA: I meant "points" in Handle Animal. Sadly, as it is not a class skill I have to spend more points to get ranks :(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:23:38 pm by Sirus »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »

@Dwarmin - The sheet looks good so far. Remember that you'll have to spend some gold summoning that familiar, and to work that into your equipment costs.

Also a note for those who haven't used Pathguy before: just follow the red arrow. If it doesn't go to a section, you can ignore that section.

@Sirus - Those appear to be class skills, and bards tend to be one of the party 'faceman' classes, so it's fairly standard. There's a reason half-elf bards are a cliche.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2012, 09:25:38 pm »

So, here's the preliminary sheet, disregarding starting gold and whatnot. All in due time, including fluff.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=428967
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 74