Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78044 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2012, 07:11:20 pm »

Each stat starts at 8. For each point until 14, it costs one point to raise. For 15 and 16, it costs two points per ability point. For 17 and 18, it costs 3.

Costs per stat:

8: 0
9: 1
10: 2
11: 3
12: 4
13: 5
14: 6
15: 8
16: 10
17: 13
18: 16

Meaning that if you wanted, you could blow more than half of your points on getting an 18, but it would leave you weak elsewhere.

So, my best experiences with DnD were 4th edition, as a human paladin (came into the campaign a little late, started at level 8 and was level 13 by the time the group broke up) and as a dwarf runepriest (mainly healing and support with some melee potential, we got to level 5 or so before real life took over). I want to try something different this time, so...thoughts? Perhaps I could be a bard.
From what I've seen of 4e, most of the classes were fairly similar to one another. Paladins are a bit weaker in 3.5, and runepriests sound like clerics. For something really different, I'd suggest a rogue, bard, or sorcerer.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »

Bards use CHA as their best attribute, right? Or am I making that up?
I can't help but be interested in playing as a bard, slinging a fantasy-equivalent guitar and singing classic rock songs.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2012, 07:15:03 pm »

Oh, I am having so much fun already.
MWAHAHAHAAHHAHAAAA
Ahem.

You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 07:15:56 pm »

There's no limit on weird languages, I suppose, but I imagine you'll want one more useful. If you're running into mind flayers as a low-level character, you're in a little deep. You can always learn another language with the expenditure of 2 skill points later. (If garbling like a squidhead is something you find you have to do.)

@Ninja-Sirus: Bards definitely need Charisma, as do sorcerers. Also important is dexterity to add AC (since they don't get proficiency with heavy armor) and attack rolls if you decide to take the Weapon Finesse or Two Weapon Fighting feats. (Which you'll want to look into. They're on the d20srd.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2012, 07:19:01 pm »

Uncapped levels? What? Just look at that generator, dude. There are six drop boxes, and the bottom tells you how many points you've spent. It takes about a minute, max.

What do you mean by an uncapped level?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2012, 07:20:11 pm »

I thought we weren't taking feats at first level? Or was that something else?

Anyway, I think I got my attributes sorted:
STR: 10
DEX: 14
CON: 10
INT: 11
WIS: 13
CHA: 16
Code: [Select]
You can accept these.  28 points spent.
 Low-powered=15, more challenging=22, standard=25,
 tougher=28, high-powered=32
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2012, 07:25:17 pm »

Every character gets a feat at level one, and humans get a bonus feat. What we aren't using are flaws and traits, which are different.

Greatorder, if you really want, you can roll dice. Just make sure the total isn't higher than 28 if you're using point buy. 28 is supposed to be the average value of the rolled stats. I can understand if you're mad you can't use your ultra-high rolled stats that it's almost impossible to verify. (Not that I don't trust you) But seriously, you're quitting because everyone starts with fair stats?

Also note that it's possible to raise your stats later with items, and every four levels you raise one of them. There are also a few classes that raise them. It's not like your character will never advance.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »

Dude, it's not a "cap", as such, anyways.
You can always improve stats as you level up. I mean, personally I prefer rolling for scores and then assigning them to each statistic, but I really don't see why this is such a big deal. ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:41 pm »

...There are roughly 300 books, including Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine, that impose restrictions and grant benefits. This game has a notoriously high number of rules, it's just that most of them don't apply to everyone at any specific time. You, for instance, would almost never have to deal with the rules for a harpy (MM1) throwing a harpoon (Frostburn) at you using the Improved Flyby Attack (Savage Species) feat. And gods help you if they have the Fire Ninja class from Dragon Magazine 331.

The upside to this is that there are so many rules and options and whatnot that you can do just about anything if you put your mind to it. I had a player that really wanted to play an earthbender. From Avatar. In D&D. I was a bit dubious, but looked up the Avatar Wiki's list of known earthbending moves, and proceeded to create a Shugenja/Elemental Savant build that could actually perform every single one of their styles while using unarmed strikes. It's possible.

Nothing is stopping you from obtaining a higher powered character except for your sudden withdrawal from the game. I still don't see how changing your starting stats is putting a limit on character creation. I mean, there are multiple documented ways to gain omnipotence in this system even with a base 3 starting stat in every ability. (Which, following the formula, would be -30 point buy. That's 58 less than you have.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 07:44:04 pm »

...And now you would rather wait until level 17 to use the wish spell, or hope for DM fiat, than improve your stats via existing methods? Stat boosting is a rather integral part of the game. Bull's Strength improves strength by 4 for a couple rounds. A Periapt of Health increases your constitution by a couple points, depending on how powerful the caster who created the item was. Every level that's a multiple of 4 lets you increase a stat to represent training on your adventures. I don't know of any D&D system that doesn't allow you to raise stats.

But whatever, I can't force you to play. I just think you're leaving for the wrong reasons.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:44 pm »

So, I want to hit things with sharp things.
I think I'll go make a character on that generator and try to work out what I'm doing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »

By the way, if any of you guys have about $20 burning a hole in your pocket I suggest buying Through Dungeons Deep. It's a really great book about Table-Top RPGs in general, definitely worth it.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »

@Yoink: High Strength, high dexterity, high constitution. I wouldn't recommend lowering any of the others below eight, preferably ten, but eight is about the limit before your character is functionally retarded.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

So, I want to hit things with sharp things.
I think I'll go make a character on that generator and try to work out what I'm doing.
If you think you can figure out good feat lines fairly well, fighter is great for this. If you want to hit things really hard, I'd recommend a barbarian. Knights work alright for this, but are mainly defensive. Paladins can be good. Clerics usually use maces and the like, but morningstars are fairly sharp. Rogues generally prefer stabby weapons, though there's nothing preventing you from using a slashing weapon.

@Yoink: High Strength, high dexterity, high constitution. I wouldn't recommend lowering any of the others below eight, preferably ten, but eight is about the limit before your character is functionally retarded.
Note that the only way you can go below 8 is through racial modifiers.

Another note for anyone making a character: CONSTITUTION IS IMPORTANT. It gives you health. If you somehow end up with less than 10, it removes health. You need health.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:25 pm »

Another note for anyone making a character: CONSTITUTION IS IMPORTANT. It gives you health. If you somehow end up with less than 10, it removes health. You need health.

I feel the fact that we had to be told we need health is not a good sign. :D
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74