Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78009 times)

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »

Id like to learn to play DnD sometime, sign me up as a player. Also, what is the most probable time we'll play?
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 01:44:09 pm »

Count me in, even though I have never played DnD or any other pen and paper RPG for that matter.

What are we going to use to play?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »

*Writes 'Cursed OP magical weapons' in notebook*
Next time, identify the magic item before you use it.
*Writes 'Poisoned candy' in notebook*
I can do this all day. :D

The setting of this game is now officially Nethack.

Lol, I'm not going to be cruel. But I do take suggestions beginning with, 'As long as it isn't...' and ending with, '...We should be fine.'

Id like to learn to play DnD sometime, sign me up as a player. Also, what is the most probable time we'll play?

I think this may be dependant on where everyone lives. I live in central USA, and I'm free from nine at night to noon during the day.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 01:46:44 pm »

I would recommend Friday evenings, Sundays, or late afternoons on weekdays if everyone is open then. Morning games tend to have problems with people sleeping in, and they're hard to make for people who have jobs on the weekdays.
This is my input on the matter, but that'll wait until I put up a poll. (After I get responses from a few more people from the sad thread.)

Also note that we're not limited to 10 players signing up, but bear in mind that with so many players, and in different time zones and with different schedules, we're going to have to draw a line somewhere to get a reasonable time. The first 10 people who sign up who are not me will get a slot, and following people will be on a waitlist which will fill in for the people who can't make the most popular times. (And of course, Hanslanda gets the final say on time because it's really hard to have a campaign without a DM.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:57 pm »

Right, and we'll be using Maptool 1.3.b87, which is the most current version that isn't broken. (b88 is very unstable and has many java errors.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:31 pm »

I would like to join :3
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »

Just pointing out that you jumped over me on the signups list.

Pandemix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 02:20:58 pm »

In,
have no idea how the DnD system works, do I need the rulebooks to sign up? I'm familiar with other P&P systems however and play with some guys quite often.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 02:23:48 pm »

I'll DM.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:15 pm »

I suppose there might be some documents we need to aquire?
Love, scriver~

Boltur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 02:30:43 pm »

In as a Player ?

http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm is nice place to get more familiar with the rules.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »

Sorry about that anzki, I have you added now. (As with Pandemix and Scelly9.)

@Scelly9: Great! How experienced are you at this? If you've done this before, that'd be nice. My current plan would be to run a few training sessions all together, and then later you and Hanslanda take about half the players each and start two separate campaigns. It'll make for far more manageable parties.

@scriver and others: Start here, which is the 'The Basics' page on the d20srd. That website has information on just about every base class and rule in the core rulebooks, and I recommend skimming the rules pages at the least. If you can borrow one or happen to have one, I'd recommend getting access to a Player's Handbook I and II, maybe a Dungeon Master's Guide, and/or any of the other books listed above as allowed or semi-allowed. If you want to play a Knight but don't have the PHB II, either work out something with someone who does, google the stats (I think D&D Tools has most of the base classes written out), or find the book. It's hard to play a class without knowing the stats, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 02:38:58 pm »

@Scelly9: Great! How experienced are you at this? If you've done this before, that'd be nice. My current plan would be to run a few training sessions all together, and then later you and Hanslanda take about half the players each and start two separate campaigns. It'll make for far more manageable parties.
Ran a RL game for about 15 sessions, it fell apart after I took an unexpected vacation. It was 4E, but I do have 3.5 books. The plan for the campaigns sounds good. To world building!

I wonder if it's be possible to make it so our adventurers cross paths every so often in the campaigns...
It might be possible, if we use the same worlds and everything.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 02:43:07 pm »

You might talk to Hanslanda about the world, he's apparently got a pretty good idea for a world right now. Of course, your stories may differ wildly.

I wonder if it's be possible to make it so our adventurers cross paths every so often in the campaigns...
It might be possible, if we use the same worlds and everything.
That could be an interesting mechanic. Every so often, we schedule a time that both groups can meet, and either oppose one another or work together to complete some task...

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 03:27:13 pm »

I don't actually want in now, but I'll be watching in case something happens that makes me want to join.
Barbarossa and Hanslanda are awesome for putting this together, and thanks to Scelly too. Should be interesting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74