Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78068 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)
« Reply #930 on: September 08, 2012, 09:06:44 pm »

Scelly didn't show up so you missed nothing. Aside from chatter and dirty jokes, that is.
Right. Sorry about that guys, power went out, along with insane weather. Tomorrow should be a good game.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 08, 2012, 09:14:30 pm »

@Scel: Yeah, we were thinking it was something like that.

You have been on only 2 hours before start time, and when you didn't pop in to tell us what was happening, I figured it was beyond your control.

No problem.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 08, 2012, 09:18:30 pm »

Yeah, you warn us every time about problems, so we figured out it was something out of your control.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 08, 2012, 09:58:48 pm »

Hm... I know it can be broken, but if all I do is buff and heal, and I don't try to cheese extra turn attempts, can I use DMM?

Requests:
Divine Metamagic (Complete Divine)
Persist Spell (Complete Arcane)
Chain Spell (Complete Arcane)
It is difficult to think of persist and D.M. being anything other than overpowered, assuming that you can actually gather the 7 turn attempts required to use it. Divine metamagic just doesn't really work from a balance perspective even in the best of cases. I mean, sure, you give up a feat slot(useful) and turn attempts(not so much) but metamagic is balanced largely upon what is impossible. Persistent divine power should be a strictly epic affair, casting quickened sound burst and blade barrier is supposed to be a fun round of battle-field control. Casting two blade barriers, one in front of them then one on top of them, to force them to jump away from you or into another blade barrier, is meant to require two clerics who were prepared to coordinate... And the potential for abuse of persistent summoning spells is off the charts... The only weakness of persistent spell is dispel magic, which in turn ruins your day and is likely to come up a lot if you have the whole party permanently buffed... If not seeing use of persistent spell until old age bothers you, you could consider asking the D.M. to house-rule that you can metamagic orisons at half cost, they count as half-spells for some other purposes, and it is difficult to see the abuse in a persistent detect magic taking the place of a dispel magic, or a quickened cure minor wounds sharing second level with death knell, and getting all you orisons extended, enlarged, widened, and/or silenced is probably balanced with taking the feats involved, and can be remedied by rounding up or having a minimum of one level of adjustment...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:26 am »

I started to make a response, and then I realized, "Wow, I'm starting to make it sound crappy. Maybe I shouldn't go with DMM persist"

ANyways, I figured out that I'd probably have 25 turn attempts max, or 17 if I want DMM Chain Spell, too.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:32 am »

Standard usage of DMM: Persisting Greater Visage of the Deity and Divine Power to become a (literal) melee god that still has casting arguably better than a wizard.

Nonstandard usage of DMM: use Reach Spell to make Bestow Curse a 30' range ray. Chain it. Two paths here:

1. Make all targets have a constitution score of 1. Ask wizard to cast Cloudkill. If the foes fail their fortitude save, which they almost certainly will due to have a -5 CON mod instead of whatever bonus they had before, they're screwed no matter what. If they succeed, the wizard has to roll at least a 2 on a d4 to kill them instantly.

2. Make all targets have a <insert stat> score of 1. Either quicken a spell that deals <stat> damage yourself or get someone else to do it.

You win. (Except for against constructs. That is why one always persists Fly and throws rocks at them until they go away. And undead too, but seriously, you're a cleric. Undead aren't even a thing.)

There are tons of fun tricks to do with DMM, and most of them are silly. I get away with DMM in Shonus' campaign, but that's probably because I usually only do it with quicken and twin spells. I could persist half a dozen buffs all day, but I found it silly.  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 09, 2012, 01:03:11 am »

See, that's why I kept "debuff" off that list. Instead I'll Chain Reach (Greater) magic weapon and/or Magic vestment. Hell, even get a wizard to Permanency it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 09, 2012, 04:38:55 am »

I don't really see the balanced part of a 7th level cleric casting a level 10 spell...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 09, 2012, 11:22:25 am »

Sooo... What's up? Are we playing this morning? ??? Can't see any servers up...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 09, 2012, 11:24:35 am »

I hope so. Taricus?

There's still one and a half hour to go though.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25:58 am »

Oh, right. For some reason I thought it was an hour earlier. :P

Still, usually there's far more activity in the thread leading up to a session.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 09, 2012, 11:26:36 am »

@Yoink: Yesterday was a bust, we're all feeling a bit depressed, maybe. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 09, 2012, 11:37:20 am »

Hey, don't be so impatient, I just got up! D:

Server will be up soon however...

EDIT: And it's up now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:02:43 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 09, 2012, 12:15:51 pm »

Server up now. Since Tar is too lazy to doublepost.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 09, 2012, 12:16:37 pm »

DAS SERVER BISST OOPF! RAUS VERBEGEHÄNGST! SCHNELL!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 74