Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78116 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)
« Reply #855 on: September 03, 2012, 12:50:20 pm »

That's just Yoink being silly Sirus :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 03, 2012, 12:52:08 pm »

Ohhh, ok.
Kinda relieved tbh. With this game in the morning and the Fire Emblem game in the afternoon, I spent pretty much all of yesterday staring at a computer screen. :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 03, 2012, 12:56:14 pm »

Welcome to my life Sirus XD
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 03, 2012, 01:10:37 pm »

Welcome to my life Sirus XD
Same thing here. D&D+FE means my Sunday was basically a semi-vegetative state in front of the computer screen.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 03, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »

Does anybody know how templates with the LA not listed work? I want to try out the Phantom template (from MM5), but it just says --- where the LA should be.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 04, 2012, 08:13:45 am »

Next two sessions I'll probably be missing a lot. I'm working probably all sunday and I'm doing a thing on Saturday that starts at 10 (Game starts at 1 for me) but I don't know when it ends.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:35 am »

Does anybody know how templates with the LA not listed work? I want to try out the Phantom template (from MM5), but it just says --- where the LA should be.
That depends. Most templates without level adjustment have hit die, which means you're basically taking levels in that race. You gain some base attack bonus and hit die, which makes it better than LA, but there's usually a whole lot more of it. (Minotaurs have 6 racial hit die, for example.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 04, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »

So!

Scel, Barb whoever.

Can we get a final determination on the team sharing our spells/using scrolls for crafting prereq purposes? IMO, it makes sense-why would be barred from working together with one another?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 04, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »

Also, Barber, you offered  to tell about forwarding ports. Still willing to do so?
Love, scriver~

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:09 pm »

@Dwarmin - It makes sense to allow it. The wizard's 'limitations' on spells known has always irked me, but whatever. If you mean to say that the wizard could use his crafting feats while the druid casts a spell, I should think not. The creator of the item has to cast the spell.

@Scriver - Yes indeed. First questions: Do you have access to your router? If not, can you talk to someone who does?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 04, 2012, 09:57:55 pm »

* Sirus is taking notes

I might want to run a game someday  :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 04, 2012, 10:17:42 pm »

@Dwarmin - It makes sense to allow it. The wizard's 'limitations' on spells known has always irked me, but whatever. If you mean to say that the wizard could use his crafting feats while the druid casts a spell, I should think not. The creator of the item has to cast the spell.

Oof. It sounds like I'm getting conflicting answers here...

Lemme try an examples.

Example 1/Wizard McBlastington wants to make Amulets of Health, but doesn't have the bears endurance spell on her list. She enlists the help of Cleric Lawfulgooding, who provides the spell for him to create the item-essentially, they work together to create it. Yay or nay? (I'm guessing Nay)

Example 2/Sorcerer Vonevillaugh also wants to make an Amulet of the Planes so he can escape after betraying the party. He's doesn't have Plane Shift learned (Because Sorcs don't get many spells per day), so he buys a scroll of Planeshift, and uses that in conjunction with the normal XP and Gold costs to make the item. Yay, or nay?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 04, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »

1. This does not work. The wizard must cast the spell.

2. This also does not work, because the creator of the scroll cast the spell, not the sorcerer. It would be reasonable to assume, however, that the sorcerer could pay the scroll merchant to make an amulet, considering that the amulet also requires that spell.

Upon checking the wizard spellbook rules, it looks like wizards can only learn additional spells from other wizards. (Sorcerers and bards don't write down their spells because their powers are innate. Clerics and druids gain power from superhuman entities and ideologies.) What this means is that Cleric Lawfulgooding couldn't even teach Wizard McBlastington how to make the item himself due to the wizard's inability to learn the spell.

It would, however, be possible for one wizard to create a scroll that another wizard can learn from. Using that spell, he could prepare it the next day and create the item. He could not use the scroll directly without creating it himself. (Which would sort of defeat the purpose.)

I might want to run a game someday  :D
It can either be extraordinarily fun or extraordinarily bothersome. It depends on the group. (Usually it's the former. I've only had one player out of ~14 so far that have proven unbearable.) I have fun with it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 05, 2012, 12:14:28 am »

Hmm, so to say-spontaneous casters like Sorcs shouldn't really craft magic items then? Their options are really very limited.

I was hoping that wasn't true, but oh well.

Ah, poor Baneling wasted a feat then. :(

Edit: For clarification, I was really hoping for a homebrew solution here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:16:01 am by Dwarmin »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 05, 2012, 01:17:14 am »

Sorcerers can craft magic items just fine, if they have the spell for it. This works great if you learn Fly, make an item of it, and then retrain to another spell later because you now have an item to make you fly whenever you damn well please.

The Magic Mart economy primarily works because of a multitude of casters each making what they can, as well as those damned wizards specifically picking spell lists entirely different from one another so that they can learn twice the spells for free.   ::)

Another solution for Sorcerers: prestige classes that grant more spells known, runestaves (I think they're from Complete Arcane), or simply having limits. It's not like they're going to end up woefully underpowered because they only know three save-or-die spells at level 10 instead of five.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 74