Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78016 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »

Ah, I missed that. Voted, anyway.
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 06:08:54 pm »

So... Many... Options...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 06:16:54 pm »

I like the way it says "You may only select up to 78 options." :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »

Oh wait, shit. I forgot that generator let you pick from basically every race ever made, even the ones not meant for players. Stick with the top row, if you can. Centaurs can be fun, but they have level adjustment (and/or hit die, I forget which) which means that you can't play them at level 1.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 06:23:21 pm »

Agh, 3.5. I don't know anything about that edition. Probably will have to sit out, but if people could post after-action reports that'd be fun to read :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 06:24:53 pm »

Don't worry, Sirus! Not many of these people know how to play yet, I don't think, you should fit right in. That's kinda the idea, actually.

Oh, and with 2 DMs I'll limit the total active players to 16 instead of 11, so we have room for a few more.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 06:34:04 pm »

Don't worry, Sirus! Not many of these people know how to play yet, I don't think, you should fit right in. That's kinda the idea, actually.

Oh, and with 2 DMs I'll limit the total active players to 16 instead of 11, so we have room for a few more.
Well, whether I can play or not depends entirely on what time is chosen. Thus, I picked Saturday and Sunday, 3am each.

Why those? It'd be Friday/Saturday evenings for me. However, I'm fairly flexible on weekends, a bit less so during the week.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 06:41:11 pm »

For balance reasons, I like to use the point buy system, which you can either select on Pathguy or use this handy calculator for them. Unfortunately, your stats total to 51, not 28. (Which I said earlier we're using.) This way all the characters start out on a relatively even plane, which is especially important at low levels when most of your bonuses come from stats.

Friday and Saturday evenings are my best times too, and they seem fairly popular thus far. I'll add you for now, Sirus.

NINJA EDIT: Point buy issues aside, your stats don't matter much for determining your class. (Except each spellcasting class requires 10 or higher in their relevant stat in order to cast any spells at all, but it's technically not required.) If you were to use those stats, you'd be good for just about any class. (Which is another reason you need to use the lower point buy - so that characters have weak sides, too!)

Your alignment can be anything, barring those classes that have alignment restrictions. (Paladin, monk, knight, and bard spring to mind.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 06:43:18 pm »

So for that Pathguy generator, are we using standard spread for attributes (STR, CON, etc)?

Ninja Edit: Okay, so 28 points total. Seems kinda low-powered, but I guess that's the best way to ensure quick rotation :P
Thanks for the add!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »

Prepare for lawful evil monkery.

EDIT:
best you can get in a skill is 13, due to 3 being a minimum.

Pretty sure the point buy system means that the stats you want have a cost, and the cost is too high in your case.

(hint: 14 str/con, 12 everything else = 28 points)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:07:14 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 06:57:38 pm »

8 in a party? Yeesh.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 07:05:06 pm »

@Sirus and Greatorder - 28 point buy is actually standard. Remember to start at 8 in each stat. The highest you can put in a stat at the beginning is 18. (See the calculator I posted earlier if you want a point cost chart for each stat.) I'm not sure where you are getting 13 as the highest stat from.

An example stat setup would be: 16, 8, 12, 10, 14, 14. That's not bad in the slightest. If you divide the points relatively evenly, you can actually get an average of 12.67 in each stat. (You'll have 4 13s and 2 12s.)

@Scelly9 - It's unlikely all 8 will show up at a time, and I'm not sure we'll even get that many.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:07:48 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »

For balance reasons, I like to use the point buy system, which you can either select on Pathguy or use this handy calculator for them. Unfortunately, your stats total to 51, not 28. (Which I said earlier we're using.) This way all the characters start out on a relatively even plane, which is especially important at low levels when most of your bonuses come from stats.
If it works the way I think it works, your math is wrong. Those total to 41, not 51.

Also, is there a limit on what weird languages we can speak? I think it would be amusing to have a gnome capable of speaking mindflayer, but that's just me.

Also, NINJAS NINJAS EVERYWHERE
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:58 pm »

Er...crap. I have no idea what attributes to take or class to pick. Good thing this is a newbie campaign :P

So, my best experiences with DnD were 4th edition, as a human paladin (came into the campaign a little late, started at level 8 and was level 13 by the time the group broke up) and as a dwarf runepriest (mainly healing and support with some melee potential, we got to level 5 or so before real life took over). I want to try something different this time, so...thoughts? Perhaps I could be a bard.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »

Trust me greatorder, playing with extremely overpowered level one characters is not fun. A certain amount of randomization can make for interesting characters, but the point buy is the way to ensure a fun game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74