Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming a session lasting four hours (at a guess), when would be best to start in GMT? Pick any options that work for you.

Remember this thing?
- 23 (46.9%)
It used to be huge!
- 26 (53.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74

Author Topic: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Waitlist Still Open)  (Read 78111 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The Sad Thread D&D [3.5] Game (Recruiting!)
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2012, 01:08:42 am »

... I'm going to go ahead and say whichever is better unless Scelly or Barbarossa objects.

you should list Armok as your Deity

This would be very acceptable.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2012, 01:16:57 am »

Holy crap! I just discovered on the SRD that I can have spells in addition to my songs! I had thought that the songs were spells, until I began poking around the bard table a little. 4 level-0 spells, and I can use two per day. I thought of taking Dancing Lights, or maybe just plain Light, so I wouldn't have to carry torches and lanterns all day, but then I saw that the durations were 1 and 10 minutes, respectively. That's not as useful as I hoped :|
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:01 am »

Nah, Armok comes off to me as more of a Neutral-Chaotic kind of deity than Neutral Good like my character is. Plus I want to have a Healing domain, which is another thing that doesn't exactly scream "ARMOK".

Instead, I'll go with... Heron, Gnomish god of rebirth and progress. Yes I totally pulled that out of my... hat, but it works.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2012, 01:24:20 am »

Holy crap! I just discovered on the SRD that I can have spells in addition to my songs! I had thought that the songs were spells, until I began poking around the bard table a little. 4 level-0 spells, and I can use two per day. I thought of taking Dancing Lights, or maybe just plain Light, so I wouldn't have to carry torches and lanterns all day, but then I saw that the durations were 1 and 10 minutes, respectively. That's not as useful as I hoped :|

One minute with light is better than all the minutes without it. Besides, you can take the spells, and still carry lanterns/torches just in case.

Nah, Armok comes off to me as more of a Neutral-Chaotic kind of deity than Neutral Good like my character is. Plus I want to have a Healing domain, which is another thing that doesn't exactly scream "ARMOK".

Instead, I'll go with... Heron, Gnomish god of rebirth and progress. Yes I totally pulled that out of my... hat, but it works.

*Writes 'Gods: Raven God (death) Heron (Rebirth/progress)' in notebook* 
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:50 am »

So, it turns out that I'm carrying a heavy load. This strikes me (especially upon looking up the penalties for it) as a VERY BAD THING. I can get rid of one of my ropes to drop to medium load, but I don't see any real way to go below that. Why'd I pick a low-strength class? :P

Also taking suggestions on what to name my owl. I'm trying to avoid real-world mythology, so no Hermes or Athena or whatever. Right now going with the idea that the owl is female.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2012, 01:38:52 am »

So, it turns out that I'm carrying a heavy load. This strikes me (especially upon looking up the penalties for it) as a VERY BAD THING. I can get rid of one of my ropes to drop to medium load, but I don't see any real way to go below that. Why'd I pick a low-strength class? :P

Also taking suggestions on what to name my owl. I'm trying to avoid real-world mythology, so no Hermes or Athena or whatever. Right now going with the idea that the owl is female.

ooo name her Tetra
or Owly the Owl.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:09 am »

Holy carp! I left for 90 minutes to watch Starcrash (yes, the Z-movie.) and there are 25+ new posts. Welp, I'll get to answering.

TherosPherae, your character sheet looks fine.

Realmfighter, your character sheet looks fine.

Valid_Dark, your character sheet looks fine.

As for bluffing golems, a mindless creature cannot have an opinion and thus cannot have its opinion changed.

One would only gain experience for selling OxyClean if the DMs allowed it and approved. I can almost guarantee a slap to the face with a virtual rulebook, or at best a salmon.

The checkboxes on Mythweavers refer to cross class skills. To set them, type in your class in the relevant line at the top of the page. Make sure to spell it right. On the 'skills' section, click the 'update CC' button, and it will automatically uncheck your relevant class skills. (It may not get all of the Knowledge skills, you'll have to hand-edit those.)

@Sirus - Bards only use wisdom for Will saves. Not as important as any of their other stats, really. Bard spells start off weak, but so do other classes' spells. You get much better ones later. 10 minutes is an eternity relative to combat, where a round is 6 seconds. That's 100 rounds of light, meaning you'd never have to fight in the dark.

@TherosPherae - If you want a standard D&D (Greyhawk Setting) god, Pelor the Sun God is close to Neutral Good, as has some good domains for clerics. (Sun, Healing, Glory, etc.) He's also the most common cleric god, but that might be because the Sun domain has one of the best perks there is. (Your turning attempts have a chance to just obliterate undead.) Whether you actually worship a sun god or not, it's still a good domain to grab at some point. The special spells of the domain aren't bad either.

When a conflict between Pathguy and the SRD comes up, always go with the SRD.

@Ninja Sirus - You have run into the problem of the overburdened adventurer. Worry not! In a few levels you should be able to acquire a bag of holding or, barring that, a Heward's Handy Haversack, which is just a crappy bag of holding for poor people. As for the owl's name, might I humbly suggest Owlga? Owld Yeller? Featherface?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2012, 01:55:31 am »

Well, I was thinking that Tetra was a good name, but Featherface could be an affectionate nickname :)

Here's my character sheet as of now. I changed my attributes to give me a +1 bonus to CON, but I had to do it manually and it's possible I messed up the math somewhere (also I'm not sure what my max HP changed to). I'm also not filling in any fluff yet.

Lon Gordi the Helpful

Please be sure to point out every stupid error I made :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:22:29 am by Sirus »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 31, 2012, 02:25:35 am »

Everyone is remembering to use the maximum of their hit die for level one, right? If your hit die is d4 (like a wizard), you get 4. If it's d12 (like a barbarian) you get 12. Then add your constitution modifier to that.

EDIT: Your stats look fine.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 31, 2012, 02:29:17 am »

So since my con mod is +1, a bard (default d6) would have 7 maximum hp?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2012, 02:38:10 am »

That is correct. Next level you would add your con mod and the result of a d6 roll. (Meaning that at level 2, you could have anywhere from 9 to 14 HP.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:01 am »

Ah, interesting. HP seems much more variable in 3.5 than it is in 4, though the totals seem a bit lower.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 31, 2012, 02:50:13 am »

Man, this thread really exploded over night. Awesome. And only one Rogue! Ever more awesome. Time to make my Dwarven tomb raider! Any Experienced One have any special tips for me, or should I just make a common Rogue?

Also, three proposals -
1, Dwarven females should have beards. If you nay, I will make my character a "bearded lady". Because Dwarves are not Dwarves without beards.
2, Could we implement some sort of HP-gain bottom cap so our characters don't roll 1 several times in a row? A lot of us are newbies, after all.
3, Dwarf Fortress-related memes should be kept to a minimum :P

Think I'm done. Anything I'm missing or did terribly wrong?

What a mighty fine scoundrel! How would you like to go into the grave-/tomb-/-crypt-/ruin-raiding and selling-stolen-goods-as-artifacts business with my Dwarf? I'd say we'd make a greatly good pair o' partners.
Love, scriver~

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2012, 04:03:46 am »

Everyone is remembering to use the maximum of their hit die for level one, right? If your hit die is d4 (like a wizard), you get 4. If it's d12 (like a barbarian) you get 12. Then add your constitution modifier to that.

This doesn't make sense to me.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2012, 04:07:32 am »

This doesn't make sense to me.
From my understanding, when you level up you roll a die equal to what your hit die is (d6 for me, so I would roll a six-sided die), and add your result plus your constitution modifier (the plus/minus) to your maximum HP. However, at level 1 you have the maximum your hit dice can provide plus your constitution modifier (7 for me, 6 + 1).

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74